The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thinking of Going Steeda Lowering Springs...Maybe...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi guys. I am looking for the best option to drop the rear of the car-rid the truck look so to speak.
I don't want to wreck the factory tuned suspension or create a rough ride as I will use it for daily driving, no track time period. just trying to lower the rear period. thoughts? ideas?

daboss2279 said:
hi guys. I am looking for the best option to drop the rear of the car-rid the truck look so to speak.
I don't want to wreck the factory tuned suspension or create a rough ride as I will use it for daily driving, no track time period. just trying to lower the rear period. thoughts? ideas?
Ford Racing T-springs seem to be the consensus pic for what you're looking for. Lowers the back but keeps stock feel.

daboss2279 said:
thanks, so to be clear, just swap out the rear 2 springs, and im done? no ther mods required at all? I like that!
Well, to recenter the rear end you should also get an adjustable panhard bar, as lowering the back end shifts the rear end. Also the front springs that come with the kit lower the front a bit as well.

I purchased the "T" springs and have only put the backs on so far with a BMR adj PHB. I have driven it around now for about 2 weeks on the street, and I must say the front feels out of whack now. Under full throttle, it seems to lift more than it used to and not feel as planted or something. It also feels softer than it used to. I wouldn't recomend just doing the backs with stiffer spring rates. It feels like a less capable car to me. I have NO track experience so I am not a great driver, and this makes me feel like even less of one.
Just thought I'd throw this into the conversation

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Jason said:
I purchased the "T" springs and have only put the backs on so far with a BMR adj PHB. I have driven it around now for about 2 weeks on the street, and I must say the front feels out of whack now. Under full throttle, it seems to lift more than it used to and not feel as planted or something. It also feels softer than it used to. I wouldn't recomend just doing the backs with stiffer spring rates. It feels like a less capable car to me. I have NO track experience so I am not a great driver, and this makes me feel like even less of one.
Just thought I'd throw this into the conversation

The main problem it that you've really increased the squat properties of the rear suspension. So the front will *really* lift under acceleration. Braking will feel terrible because the rear lifts and will make the front brake dive feel even worse.

I suggest adding rear LCA relocation brackets. They'll fix the problems you're experiencing. If you want to keep a stock like ride, get ones that take the stock arms. Otherwise, replace the arms as well.

I have the front springs, camber bolts, BMR upper C/A and bracket along with LCA's and relo brackets waiting in my garage to be put in. I wouldn't leave it the way it is, just wanted to point out that just doing rear springs and panhard bar isn't a good idea in my opinion.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Sorry Jason - I misunderstood you for a bit there. There was a lot of talk in this thread about just replacing the rears!

But you certainly prove Kyle's points about the suspension 'system' and what I was saying about brackets on lowered rears. The slightly stiffer spring isn't the problem with your interim setup, but the squat geometry you have at the moment.

No problem at all Grant, post number 5 suggested doing exactly what I have done, and I was just wanting to say I wouldn't recomend it. I tell you without this forum and you guys advice, I would be clueless about these cars and probably doing all the wrong mods.
Thank you all for your help along the way!

TMO Supporting Vendors