The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thinking of moving to AZ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
For those that live in AZ. Where's the best place to move that's close to a good track. Are there any that have elevation?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Are you retired or do you intend to work? If you are retired, you can go pretty much anywhere in the state, but greater Phoenix or Tucson areas would be easiest for you, if you need to have an income.

Our two main groups out here are NASA (www.nasaaz.com) and ProAutosports (www.proautosports.com). Both are good organizations, NASA has a national recognition and structure, while Pro is a bit more laid back.

The "best" track we have in AZ currently is in Willcox, AZ, about an hour to the east of Tucson, basically in the middle of nowhere. Roughly 3.5 hour tow from Phoenix. Inde Motorsports Ranch.

On the northwest side of Phoenix there is Arizona Motorsports Park, which is a great track but has 96db sound limits. That's about 30 mins from downtown Phoenix.

In Chandler, there is the Wild Horse Pass motorsport complex, which has 3 (sometimes 4, if you count Bondurant) tracks available. About 30 mins from downtown Phoenix. This is where the local groups run most of their events.

To the west in California, Chuckwalla Valley Raceway is about 4 hours tow away, we typically run there once or twice a year. Willow Springs 6 Hours, Buttonwillow 8 Hours, Sonoma and Laguna Seca about 12-13 hours each, Thunderhill 15 hours or so.

Our tracks run from January through December, we typically run ONLY the morning during June/July/August or not at all due to the heat. This is a good time to visit some of the California tracks :)

If you are more of a "four seasons" person, northern AZ (Prescott/Sedona/Flagstaff/Cottonwood/Jerome) would be for you. Much higher elevations up there and snow etc. Lots of good camping + Grand Canyon. Those locales will make it take a bit longer to get to the tracks, however. But they do have some of the best scenic drives in the US.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
There are also two to three more "vaporware" tracks that are rumored to open in the next 2-3 years. One will be an "FIA Level 2" facility near Casa Grande (between Tucson and Phoenix) and will be able to run anything except F1 racing.
There is another track rumored to be trying to construct nearby there as well, and another slightly east of Tucson.

I'll not hold my breath for these tracks but my fingers are crossed.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Thanks Drew. No I'm not retired but I can work remotely in my current job. I'm not a four season person anymore the cold makes my body hurt more than I ever imagined. So for me the hotter the better.

We only have two tracks here rpm and hastings so having more tracks is definitely a plus. Mainly just hpde for us everything costs double with his and her cars.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well as a fellow Nebraskan , sorry to see you moving , but whereas we don't run during the cold weather , you will not run in the Summer in Phoenix.

So keep in mind if tracktime is important , you have RPM, MPH and ...................................................Heartland Park , Topeka! It has just been repaved!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will have the track using part of Bondurant's school ( the old Firebird Raceway , which I think is called Wild Horse Pass Raceway now), the Phoenix International track , using some of the infield, and another track out near Luke AFB - those are both West of Phoenix a little bit.

Then a drive to the Southeast will bring you to another country club style track , but that name escapes me.

Just wanted to give you the news that Heartland is up and running again and that is one riot of a track with a Boss , GT, or GT 350!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Thanks Bill i'm fully aware that Hearland will be back and running Jeff has done a great job down there. As for NE tracks i've been to them all RPM being closest but that's not the point of this move. It's more for health reasons. After spending countless years in the Military and having plates and shrapnel in my body the cold all but cripples me and i hate that feeling.

Mad302s said:
Thanks Bill i'm fully aware that Hearland will be back and running Jeff has done a great job down there. As for NE tracks i've been to them all RPM being closest but that's not the point of this move. It's more for health reasons. After spending countless years in the Military and having plates and shrapnel in my body the cold all but cripples me and i hate that feeling.
Boy does this hit home with me. No Military here. All self inflicted wounds due to work style. I kind of know where your coming from. I to am plated screwed with rods together. I even managed to break my screws holding my rods together after a fall. Unless you are there it hard to understand what someone is enduring.. Wishing no one has to endure that type of pain. Its off the charts in such a different way. My feelings go out to you. I would say feel better but that's not the case here. Hope you can manage your pain so you can live life to where normal can be.

Thank you for your service!

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Edit: I didn't read the above. Others covered this in better detail.

I bought a new house in Peoria in July, it's quite a growing area, nice home values and area. It is somewhat remote if you have to do much downtown or east valley.

For tracks we have:
Whp: east, west, main, bondo and mondo

Arizona Motorsports park
Chuckwalla valley raceway (3hrs)
Inde Motorsports Ranch (2hrs)

PIR is no more. One to three more tracks coming in the near future. Been in AZ going on ten years now with no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mad302s said:
Thanks Drew. No I'm not retired but I can work remotely in my current job. I'm not a four season person anymore the cold makes my body hurt more than I ever imagined. So for me the hotter the better.

We only have two tracks here rpm and hastings so having more tracks is definitely a plus. Mainly just hpde for us everything costs double with his and her cars.

Hi Mad302s...don't think we've met, but I'm in Omaha too, and also a fellow vet. Thank you for your fine service, especially in combat. I can totally understand your desire to live in a warmer climate. I'm not a cold wx person either, and I have no shrapnel inside of me. AZ would be about perfect, well, maybe except mid-summer, but I'd take that over what we usually get here mid-winter (recent 70+ temps notwithstanding).

Will be interested to hear what you decide to do, and best of luck to you and your wife wherever you wind up, hopefully someplace nice and warm with plenty of tracks nearby.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
dabossinne said:
Hi Mad302s...don't think we've met, but I'm in Omaha too, and also a fellow vet. Thank you for your fine service, especially in combat. I can totally understand your desire to live in a warmer climate. I'm not a cold wx person either, and I have no shrapnel inside of me. AZ would be about perfect, well, maybe except mid-summer, but I'd take that over what we usually get here mid-winter (recent 70+ temps notwithstanding).

Will be interested to hear what you decide to do, and best of luck to you and your wife wherever you wind up, hopefully someplace nice and warm with plenty of tracks nearby.

@dabossinne Thank you and the pull of AZ is getting stronger after days like today. Thank for the support had i known that my time in the service was going to be fun filled i would have moved straight there when i got out. But having a family made it somewhat difficult. Thank you for your service as well you should come out to one of club meetings sometime midweststangs is the club i belong too. As stated the housing looks fantastic compared to here and the wife is already thinking about packing lol. Looks like it will be the Goodyear or Peoria area for sure we found like 5 houses and i have a VA loan burning to be used.

Bay Area
@dabossinne Thank you and the pull of AZ is getting stronger after days like today. Thank for the support had i known that my time in the service was going to be fun filled i would have moved straight there when i got out. But having a family made it somewhat difficult. Thank you for your service as well you should come out to one of club meetings sometime midweststangs is the club i belong too. As stated the housing looks fantastic compared to here and the wife is already thinking about packing lol. Looks like it will be the Goodyear or Peoria area for sure we found like 5 houses and i have a VA loan burning to be used.

I am very Familiar with the area and if I was to most to the "west side" I would look into Peroria. Nothing wrong with Goodyear but, it is getting crowded and making it harder to get into the Phx area.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you're in-town April 22/23, we will be racing with NASA-AZ at Arizona Motorsports Park to the NW of Glendale. Could be a good opportunity to check out the new scene, if you have the free time!
http://arizonamotorsportspark.com/

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
If you're in-town April 22/23, we will be racing with NASA-AZ at Arizona Motorsports Park to the NW of Glendale. Could be a good opportunity to check out the new scene, if you have the free time!
http://arizonamotorsportspark.com/
Unfortunately we won't be able to make it that weekend. I have my daughter that weekend and although she'd love to go her mom would probably call every agency in the world on us. I will look at the schedule and see what we can make. Would be great to get down there and meet all of you guys as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel