The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thinking of Trading in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wouldn't trade it towards a 2012 GT500 as the '12 Boss is a very special car and was the top dog, so to speak, in '12 in terms of factory stock Mustangs. I like knowing this about my '12 Boss. besides do you really want a 160mph speedo vs your 180?...lol
Starting in '13, the GT500 is a different story and that's a choice only you can make.

I personally am waiting for the 2015's to come out, not only to look and see if its even something I am interested in, but to see how many 13' and 14' GT, Shelby's, etc start hitting the lots, and hopefully for a cheap price... I have been wanting to get rid of my 2006 V6, I would rather trade for a used BOSS or GT500, but I might only be able to get into a GT. That will only happen of course once I have the BOSS paid off...

I have 15 friends that have 1 more Shelby GT500's... I have 2 friends that have a BOSS. At most of the Car Shows around here its 85% Shelby, 5% GT, 8%V6 and 2% BOSS. Which is rather strange if you think about it, you would think there would be way more GT's or V6 Models... but the Shelby almost always has more for some reason.

Just remember, that unlike the GT500 (which you can find with no issues), the BOSS will get more and more difficult to find and "Replace" every year...

I think that is what scares me the most, I love my BOSS, best sports car hands down I have ever owned... and if something ever happened to it (to where it wasn't repairable), I am not sure I could ever replace it or find another that has been taken care of like mine... But that is the chance we take I guess... Unless your like my friend who has a 12 BOSS (Daily Driver) and a 14 BOSS with only 104 miles on it (he's had it for almost 2 years now). Only time that car moves is into a Car Trailer and back out again once they reach the Car Event... and Honestly the only reason it has 104 is because until it hit roughly 85-88 miles on it, it wouldn't pass the NC Inspection. (Dealership Mode was kicked in or something).

I have almost 5K on my 13' BOSS that I bought in July of 2012, I love every mile...

In the end, do you what you feel will make you happy, life is to short not to...

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
BOSS2664 said:
I wouldn't trade it towards a 2012 GT500 as the '12 Boss is a very special car and was the top dog, so to speak, in '12 in terms of factory stock Mustangs. I like knowing this about my '12 Boss. besides do you really want a 160mph speedo vs your 180?...lol
Starting in '13, the GT500 is a different story and that's a choice only you can make.

OMG, didn't even think of that. Maybe if I do decide on Shelby, I'll work on negotiations with the Speedometer facts, figuring most salesmen know nothing about cars.
If I get into a Shelby, I will use the 2012 as a stepping block towards a low mileage 13-14.

I've had a Boss 302 in the garage for over 30 years so I feel a bit like a traitor saying this, but, if your thing is drag racing, go with the Shelby and there is nothing wrong with a 2012 and 550 hp either. When you put the peddle down, 550 hp will seem like twice as much hp as the Boss with 444. At least it did to me.

I have a 70 Boss so I had planned to wait and get a 13 Boss when they hit the showrooms but an unexpected offer to test drive a new 2012 Shelby changed everything for me. Having never driven a supercharged car before I was seduced by the horsepower and bought a new 2012 Shelby. I would love to have a Boss too and maybe someday I will but if you can only have one, I have no regrets going with the Shelby.

After the 13 Shelby's came out it was pretty clear they were going to be the high water mark in the modern Mustang so I decided that I would rather have my money in what may be the future Boss 429 regarding collectibilty so I decided to trade and got a 14 last fall. I've only got 160 miles on it so far but I can say this, 662 hp seems like twice as much as the 12 with 550. They are a beast!! Good luck with your decision but in my view supercharging a Boss is only going to result in finding the Boss's weak points since they were designed for 444. Additionally, if the cars future value is of any concern, the factory stock cars will be the ones that collectors will want, not the ones that have been modified. Just my .02...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel