The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thinking of Trading in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I wish I could have a 13-14 GT500. I would trade straight up for one without a second though. its what I really wanted but couldnt afford it. I love the boss though just wish it had some things that you cant get with a boss...like heated seats for instance....i know I know RCWLP but could have been an option on somethings for those of us that would have liked things like I dont know sync?

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Fomoco302 said:
Out of curiosity does anyone know how many GT-500's were produced each year?
Found correct numbers.
4834 total made in 2012 vs
About 4000 Bosses

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Well, I went through this as well. Really torn between the two cars. No easy answer. For me I track my cars regularly so that pushed me to the Boss. The GT500s are so well done, like the Boss is. I have my Ford sales guy calling me every 6 months or so trying to tempt me. They just had a 2012 black and red on the lot, tempted but no. I think I would wait and see what happens once the S-550 hits the street. Might see a bunch of guys trading in there Shelby's once the GT350 is out, to get the latest thing. I would think the price on the 13s and up will drop at this point. In the end do what your heart says.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Not that my wife would allow me, but what are your thoughts of putting a supercharger on it just like the Shelby GT 350 has.
I know a Boss shouldn't be supercharged, but a need more Hp. Especially since Ford admittedly mentioned the new 2015 Mustang with track package will out run our Bosses.?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
unrealford said:
Not that my wife would allow me, but what are your thoughts of putting a supercharger on it just like the Shelby GT 350 has.
I know a Boss shouldn't be supercharged, but a need more Hp. Especially since Ford admittedly mentioned the new 2015 Mustang with track package will out run our Bosses.?

I think they mean out run on a road course. The TP GT I saw had the similar rubber but with the revised front suspension and IRS. I doubt the new 5.0 would beat a Boss on the 1/4 both stock.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
unrealford said:

My thoughts are, for what you are doing with the car yes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Asz0yKXc4&feature=player_detailpage

Unreal: My Vote? Keep the Boss.

Don't you run high 11's? You are a good driver and a good F/I will be tons of fun for you.

Invest the $$$ in a good blower and get to 600 or so to the wheels and you'll beat most Shelby's in the 1/4. Going more that 675 and you'll be investing in tranny, etc.

Boss is a great car and like it's been said, one of the best things about it, is that we hardly see other Bosses on the road.

Boss949 said:

Don't you run high 11's? You are a good driver and a good F/I will be tons of fun for you.

Invest the $$$ in a good blower and get to 600 or so to the wheels and you'll beat most Shelby's in the 1/4. Going more that 675 and you'll be investing in tranny, etc.

Boss is a great car and like it's been said, one of the best things about it, is that we hardly see other Bosses on the road.
If you don't plan to road race it and the 1/4 mile is your thing just put a blower on it. The question is will you get into a GT500 for less than $6 grand?

http://vmptuning.com/superchargers/50ltvsstage1/

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
cloud9 said:
If you don't plan to road race it and the 1/4 mile is your thing just put a blower on it. The question is will you get into a GT500 for less than $6 grand?

http://vmptuning.com/superchargers/50ltvsstage1/
What are negatives of having this setup for Road racing? Heat but even if it's warm, wouldn't it still perform better then a stock Boss? They SC the GT 350.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Boss949 said:

Yes, I run 11.9s stock except Drag Radials.
Haven't ran it with new RXT clutch and new tire and skinny setup.

unrealford said:
What are negatives of having this setup for Road racing? Heat but even if it's warm, wouldn't it still perform better then a stock Boss? They SC the GT 350.

Heat and weight distribution. Between the blower, intercooler, HE and fluids you're probably tacking on about 150 lbs to the front end of the car.....most of it high up. Cooling with FI cars is always a challenge....heck we've had to make a lot of changes just to keep these cars cool NA on the road course. They do SC the GT350 but I'd be curious to know how many of them see serious track time in 90+ ambient temps and at altitudes above sea level. I put a 3" (stock size) pulley on my GT500 for track days and with the twin fan HE I was able to keep it cool enough but gave up about 75 crank hp. It makes about 575 rwhp on the 3" pulley versus the 2.6" that makes 640 rwhp. That's still 140 more rwhp than the Boss but it's also a heavier (nose heavy) car which requires more braking distance.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
cloud9 said:
Heat and weight distribution. Between the blower, intercooler, HE and fluids you're probably tacking on about 150 lbs to the front end of the car.....most of it high up. Cooling with FI cars is always a challenge....heck we've had to make a lot of changes just to keep these cars cool NA on the road course. They do SC the GT350 but I'd be curious to know how many of them see serious track time in 90+ ambient temps and at altitudes above sea level. I put a 3" (stock size) pulley on my GT500 for track days and with the twin fan HE I was able to keep it cool enough but gave up about 75 crank hp. It makes about 575 rwhp on the 3" pulley versus the 2.6" that makes 640 rwhp. That's still 140 more rwhp than the Boss but it's also a heavier (nose heavy) car which requires more braking distance.
Does your Shelby outperform the Boss. You brought up a great point. Definitely makes sense.

unrealford said:
Does your Shelby outperform the Boss. You brought up a great point. Definitely makes sense.

The first year I had the Boss they were about the same lap times. After more mods to the Boss it's a little faster now, especially on more technical tracks. You just get there in different ways. One's like riding a bull and the other like a quarter horse. Or you could compare a sledgehammer to a scalpel. Both are fun :D

unrealford said:
Yes, I run 11.9s stock except Drag Radials.
Haven't ran it with new RXT clutch and new tire and skinny setup.

RXT; skinny setup?

C'MON MAN!! You are a drag racer for sure; Add a blower; You can always get a Shelby. Keep the Boss a little longer.

I've been considering a Roush S/C.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
mmmm, every mustang has soul. doesn't matter if it is a shelby, a boss or a 6 cyl... Whatever makes you happy...

Second, these cars were designed to option up. If you want to add a blower, do it! There are a few you tube videos that show some awesome rides that have been turbo converted with impressive results. I say have fun with it. Im already planning my next mods.

John

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
My .02, the only Shelby that's 'worth' (relative term) getting is the '13-'14. They are the last that the man himself had his hand in and it sounds as if the GT350 will be more like a next gen Boss than a GT500 as I'd wager good money it's not putting down 662 hp and is balanced like the Boss is. Now that's not to say Ford won't do something else but that's the general impression I'm getting. Since you like to drag it, pony up the $$ for the 'better' drag car in the GT500. Sure, you can S/C the Boss and it'll be great but sounds like you want the power more than anything and it's going to take a big S/C to make up that 200+ hp difference. Might as well get it with a warranty I say and if you want more power than that, there's still room on the GT500. Yeah, the Boss is rare (there are 3 on my graduate school's campus now, go figure) but that doesn't matter if it's not the car you want.

ufnavy06 said:
My .02, the only Shelby that's 'worth' (relative term) getting is the '13-'14.

I know you're just comparing the Ford built and not the post title Shelby American cars. ;)

The cars that went/go through the Shelby facility are going to kill all the basic Ford GT500's long term on value, IMO.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2013/01/15/shelby-unveils-2013-shelby-gt500-super-snake-widebody/

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/03/27/shelby-1000-revealed-ahead-of-official-new-york-debut/

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4261388

07-shelby-gt500-super-snake-widebody.jpg

08-2012-shelby-1000.jpg

137763_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel