The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Third oil change and Fumoto install with very little mess. Lots of pics.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I finally hit 10k miles after picking up # 733 in mid June. I'm trying to stick to every 5k on the oil unless I track it hard in the summer and feel like it needs it. This time I used my Form-A-Funnel which worked wonders keeping everything clean.

Also installed the Fumoto valve BEFORE draining the oil! ;D

There was some oil and dirt in there, but it's been 5k miles since I had it unbuttoned. I cleaned that up before I started.

Feb52012025.jpg

Feb52012026.jpg

Feb52012027.jpg

Feb52012030.jpg

Feb52012032.jpg

Feb52012033.jpg
[size=10pt]
A cool anti-drainback feature on the filter. See how it won't settle any lower.
[/size]

Feb52012034.jpg

Hook up vacuum to the crank case, remove oil pan plug, install Fumoto. ;)

Feb52012036.jpg

Feb52012039.jpg

Not much room for the nipple, but it's not needed as you can see.

Feb52012041.jpg

This is the only mess and it's 4 inches wide as it runs out of the kitty litter scoop.

Feb52012043.jpg

And now out to replace the trans fluid. Using the stock stuff since my trans works incredibly well.

Maybe you can add an elbow on that bad boy, so it doesn't make a mess. Or just some of the clear hose from home depot, pop it on when you do the change then pop it off, like doing brake bleeds.

That looks like the brake ducts, how are they working?

I put the brake ducts on before my one and only track day. I'm sure they work fine, but it was 60* out at Laguna Seca so brake temps were not a problem.

Get the Form-A-Funnel guys. I think I found mine on ebay. Not cheap but it's well made and perfect for this job.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fat Boss said:
I put the brake ducts on before my one and only track day. I'm sure they work fine, but it was 60* out at Laguna Seca so brake temps were not a problem.

Get the Form-A-Funnel guys. I think I found mine on ebay. Not cheap but it's well made and perfect for this job.
Yep already on the way from Amazon

You won't be disappointed Drew. Hey are you going to make it out to Laguna Seca this year? Either for a track day or for one of the races? The Historics in Aug are featuring the Cobra so that's an awesome event as well. It'd be cool to see you and Chris again. Something tells me I'll see Rick down there soon. ;)

Humm, that form-a-funnel looks pretty cool, I've been using aluminum foil basicly doing the same thing for years. I'll have to look around for one of those! ;D

Fat Boss said:
You won't be disappointed Drew. Hey are you going to make it out to Laguna Seca this year? Either for a track day or for one of the races? The Historics in Aug are featuring the Cobra so that's an awesome event as well. It'd be cool to see you and Chris again. Something tells me I'll see Rick down there soon. ;)
I'm going to Track Masters HDPE day on June 16th, Historics in August, and Grand-Am in September. I think I need to buy a condo down there. ::) FB, I just checked and registration is still not open for June 16th.

If anyone is looking for the form a funnel my company sells them all different sizes. Feel free to contact me at 201-206-5316. Anthony

Sesshomurai

I got this quickvalve installed. What kind of hose do I need to afix to it? Where to get?

Sesshomurai

darreng505 said:
I got this quickvalve installed. What kind of hose do I need to afix to it? Where to get?

To answer my own inquiry, I'm going to buy and use this to attach to the valve.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_81324-60455-SGY-PWA21_0__?Ntt=chemical+tubing&productId=3121707&rpp=16

Tcrockstar said:
If anyone is looking for the form a funnel my company sells them all different sizes. Feel free to contact me at 201-206-5316. Anthony
What size is the Form-A-Funnel pictured?

Anthony, are you in Fairfield? If so, I'm local

Fat Boss said:

+1 on the Form-A-Funnel

Snake Handler said:
Fat Boss said:

+1 on the Form-A-Funnel

Used it for the first time last weekend. Works great!

Sesshomurai

Snake Handler said:
Fat Boss said:

+1 on the Form-A-Funnel

Yeah, just did my first (self) oil change with the valve and form-a-funnel. Breeze. It was almost too easy I was suspicious...

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1st change at 6278 miles, 40% left on OLM, saved sample for oil analysis. Will get a comparison test of the Royal Purple HPS 10-40 when it hits the same mileage next summer. I can't wait to see how the RP compares to the Motorcrap fill. The Fumoto valve will make getting a test sample so much easier. I broke my engine in per the owners manual, varying RPM and speed, the occasional shift up to 6k rpm, didn't burn much oil at all. The level crept down toward the bottom dot on the stick from a little over mid way in the cross hatch. I has originally planned to go with Amsoil, but getting 35$ off 5qts + filter at Pep boys was 'an offer I couldn't refuse'.

IMG_1205.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg
IMG_0309.jpg

The FoMoCo filter looks a lot smaller than the RP filter, it feels like a real quality filter, and from what I've read should provide the best filtration. Since our oil changes cost about 3x as much as a conventional change, it would be the best of both worlds for me to be able to have superior protection AND longevity for street usage.

Thought i'd add a few pics to this thread, since it seems to cover the fumoto oil drain plug/valve pretty well.

just finished doing my first oil change today, and thanks to this thread had the fumoto valve handy along with the form-a-funnel, which proved to be very useful.

I ended up going with the nippled fumoto (lol) and placed a 3/8" vacuum cap just for added protection from dirt. oiled the cap a little so it slides in/out easily.

IMAG0196640x480.jpg

IMAG0197640x480.jpg

Sesshomurai

F.D. Sako said:
Thought i'd add a few pics to this thread, since it seems to cover the fumoto oil drain plug/valve pretty well.

just finished doing my first oil change today, and thanks to this thread had the fumoto valve handy along with the form-a-funnel, which proved to be very useful.

I ended up going with the nippled fumoto (lol) and placed a 3/8" vacuum cap just for added protection from dirt. oiled the cap a little so it slides in/out easily.

IMAG0196640x480.jpg

IMAG0197640x480.jpg

That's a good idea. I've been keeping the 'nipple' off until I need to change the oil, but that looks like a cleaner solution.
I got clear plastic tubing from Lowes that slips easily onto the valve and I run it right into the oil bucket.

TMO Supporting Vendors