The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This can't be good news

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeah i see electrification going hand in hand with some solar supplement, it makes sense and costs should drop. Your home energy storage solution would be charging for the day while you are out and about. I dont think you could solely operate off this solution but as i said, certainly supplement.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Thats the "Rub" when it comes to going to fully renewable electric sources. We just don't have reliable sources. We will NOT build another Hydro Dam. Just wont happen. Although its the Best renewable source to date. We have evolved beyond that logic. Nuclear is the safe and cheap but also a BAD THING. This leaves us with Wind and Solar power. Although you may not realize it where I live, the wind stops. Wind power cannot be a reliable source of power. Solar, The sun goes down, clouds come in.
So we store power in batteries also not very efficient. Loss in charging, storage and maintenance of systems put very real limits on storing power. So we are forced to have parallel systems. Yep, we pay for both renewable and non-renewable systems. Got to. How else can we ensure we have TV and the internet 24-7-365? Tech is Just not there yet.
Power grid concerns? If power production is more localized, solar in and wind power everywhere, strain on the grid will be limited. Again tech limited.
Is electric power the solution for the future, likely. I just expect to see practical application on my life time without technical advances. BTW, I expect to be around another 30-40 years.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Strangely enough, a large portion of the scoring has little to do with actually moving the car. Power train, suspension etc., are not the issues. Electronics are the thing that has the most issues and brings down scores the fastest. I know mechanics at dealerships who will work a full day and never work under the hood of a car. Engine and transmission failures do occur, but not at the rate common 30 years ago.

I can confirm electronics issues, software issues to be specific.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Couple of notes here from the frozen wasteland. Drove by one of our solar farms today. Nice sunny day but the solar panels were all covered with snow from yesterdays storm. Also son's friend has a Tesla model 3, asked how well it works in the winter weather, ah, its been in the shop for three months to get a fender bender fixed. I like Elon's ambition and go Space X but I think the real car companies will kick Tesla's butt once they get around to building EV's.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel