The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This grinding sound can't be normal, or?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So today I was driving with the windows down and the subtle grinding I thought I'd been hearing for a while now was even more apparent. I figured I'd make a video in an attempt to capture the grinding sound. I'm in 2nd gear here, driving around my apartment complex at very low speed. Every time I speed up just a little I'm hearing this GRRRRRRRR sound coming from somewhere under the car. It's not as apparent every time but there's several parts in this video where you can hear it really well.

I'd love to hear if others have this as well or whether I should take it to the dealer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2hQXYCF9I[/youtube]

CaliMR said:
I don't have that sound. If you can get it to make the sound consistently, take it in and have them do a ride along.

Oh yes it's there all the time. My phone didn't capture it perfectly every time but it's always there.
Thanks, definitely gonna take it in.

Sounds like a vibration too me. I have something similar going on right now and it coming from the passenger side. In my case it's the exhaust, and will go away when I close the cutouts, but I hear it when they are open. Hard to troubleshoot by yourself. The bolts holding the QTP's in are tight and loc-tighted. I can't get it to rattle like that when I do have help.

Does your make the sound when your only giving it a little gas, or a certain point when its spinning down?

I heard it, its very faint, but there... not sure I can tell you where its coming from though, sounds like its only when you are on the gas (Giving it gas) after coasting... Might be the Torsen Rear End or Traction Control kicking in under power. Try turning off the Traction Control and see if it does it then.

Did you have the dealer check all the fluids before you got it? I always make sure they check and fill everything, Rear end Fluid, Tranny Fluid, Oil, Radiator, even the Windshield Wiper fluid.

Take it to the dealer, have them check all the fluids, torque the lugs, normal 110-Point Inspection. If its still does it after all of that, then it might be the Driveshaft?

Since its so faint (at least in the video), it might not be something to worry to much about unless it gets louder and you can pin-point where it coming from (that is what most mechanic's will tell you anyways). Good news is its under warranty, so drive it, and if it gets worse, take it in then.

rpm3dinc said:
I heard it, its very faint, but there... not sure I can tell you where its coming from though, sounds like its only when you are on the gas (Giving it gas) after coasting... Might be the Torsen Rear End or Traction Control kicking in under power. Try turning off the Traction Control and see if it does it then.

Did you have the dealer check all the fluids before you got it? I always make sure they check and fill everything, Rear end Fluid, Tranny Fluid, Oil, Radiator, even the Windshield Wiper fluid.

Take it to the dealer, have them check all the fluids, torque the lugs, normal 110-Point Inspection. If its still does it after all of that, then it might be the Driveshaft?

Since its so faint (at least in the video), it might not be something to worry to much about unless it gets louder and you can pin-point where it coming from (that is what most mechanic's will tell you anyways). Good news is its under warranty, so drive it, and if it gets worse, take it in then.

It's not that faint when you're in the car actually. It's not super loud either but it's easy enough to spot. Easier than in the video. I spotted it first with the windows closed. Then it's really subtle but with the windows down it's really clear.

And indeed, it only kicks in when giving some gas after coasting. As the car speeds up it seems to disappear (but not 100% sure because it might also be that I can simply not hear it anymore then).

My plan is to go to the dealer and have them at least document the issue and do the inspection.

Interesting. I got that on mine too I think. I notice it when Im coming from a dead stop though. I got about 302 miles on mint. Marco how many miles do you got on yours? I think it could be a break in thing.

racered302 said:
Sounds like a vibration too me. I have something similar going on right now and it coming from the passenger side. In my case it's the exhaust, and will go away when I close the cutouts, but I hear it when they are open. Hard to troubleshoot by yourself. The bolts holding the QTP's in are tight and loc-tighted. I can't get it to rattle like that when I do have help.

Does your make the sound when your only giving it a little gas, or a certain point when its spinning down?

There are threads about this if you want more info, but the short answer is that the bolt on the passenger side side pipe band is hitting the floor. Try to loosen the band and the bolts at the QTP and turn the pipe to make some clearance, or dremel off the end of the bolt, or what I did was pop the weld on the band and twist the band so the bolt was at a better angle. The angle on the driver and passenger side bolts are different, because I think they tighten both from the driver side.

killerwill13 said:
Interesting. I got that on mine too I think. I notice it when Im coming from a dead stop though. I got about 302 miles on mint. Marco how many miles do you got on yours? I think it could be a break in thing.

I have 1400 miles now so I doubt it's a break-in thing really.
This morning I noticed I couldn't hear the sound at first when I listened for it driving off the apartment complex. I went for a short drive (10 miles or so) and took the kids to school/daycare. When I came back I could hear it again. Having AdvanceTrac on or off didn't make a difference.

I do suspect it's a driveshaft/rearend issue. I could hear it both in 2nd and in 3rd gear. I'm hoping to have it looked at today.

Well they can't look till tuesday. I'm hoping this isn't some kind of big deal because I do want to keep driving it. Car show coming up this weekend and all.

I played the video twice to make sure what was what...It definitely sounds like a metal to metal grind, but I have no clue where it could be coming from. I hope the dealer can pin point it when you bring it in next week. Good luck!

killerwill13 said:

By the way: I too only hear it when I'm coming from a dead stop or from rolling super slow, like 2mph or so. When I'm driving regularly I don't hear a thing (except for the subtle high-pitched whine around 68mph *sigh* which I think is something else.)

This thread inspired me, I have been having a weird woowoowoo noise in my E30 track car for a while and sourced it today to the tranny which had lost 90% of the oil since last flush. Lots of metal shavins. 25 years and 230k miles so I guess it was due. At least I don't have to worry about them voiding the warranty because I track it ;D

Try to slightly apply the brakes while maintaining the throttle at same level. Since it makes the noise after coming to a stop it may be a caliber that isn't totally releasing and what you hear is the disc contacting the rotor but without pressure.

TMO Supporting Vendors