The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This has to be a record

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
What is really cool is Buddy Arrington is still alive and kicking! Some years back I sold his son, Joey, a Viper. Dad sure started things, but Joey was handling the Engine Building Business when I chatted with him. Cool guy, famous Nascar family, but you have to like them even more after reading this story!! Thanks Blacksheep, I had never heard this legendary story of Buddy, but it sure paints an even better picture for me of the Arrington Clan! The driver who delivered the car to Joey said you could eat off the floor of their shop!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
429 Torino such an awesome car but I wonder what the punishment for a ticket at 180 looks like... I had a friend who got pulled over at 178 in a fancy Mclaren mp4 and he was looking at a $3k fine. Plus the trunk full of shine.

429 Torino such an awesome car but I wonder what the punishment for a ticket at 180 looks like... I had a friend who got pulled over at 178 in a fancy Mclaren mp4 and he was looking at a $3k fine. Plus the trunk full of shine.

Back then it wasn't too horrible but hes gonna take a beating on the moonshine. You know you can't cut the government out.. lol.
I got dinged for " display of speed, excessive accélération, careless driving etc etc " back in high school.
Now they throw you in jail and take your car.. thanks, riceburners

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
Back then it wasn't too horrible but hes gonna take a beating on the moonshine. You know you can't cut the government out.. lol.
I got dinged for " display of speed, excessive accélération, careless driving etc etc " back in high school.
Now they throw you in jail and take your car.. thanks, riceburners
Yeah I got in trouble for being parked in a parking lot after dark and somehow that escalated into me being told that my car was no longer street legal due to my cold air intake until I took it to a state certified mechanic who would inspect my car, scan ecu for tunes, and then test my exhaust for noise compliance. Whole process took about 6 months and I guess I didn't learn anything because now I have longtubes and aftermarket cats. Thats what I get for living in California lol.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
Yeah I got in trouble for being parked in a parking lot after dark and somehow that escalated into me being told that my car was no longer street legal due to my cold air intake until I took it to a state certified mechanic who would inspect my car, scan ecu for tunes, and then test my exhaust for noise compliance. Whole process took about 6 months and I guess I didn't learn anything because now I have longtubes and aftermarket cats. Thats what I get for living in California lol.
Though before sideshows in public intersections became so popular we didn't have this problem so much.

Back in high school, while I was in auto shop, the Principal would bring his son's '69 GTO in on Mondays so we could replace the bent push rods that somehow mal-functioned over the weekend? Those were the days..........................................................

ny
One thing , that's not a 429 cj torino. 70 429 cj came in torino that's looks like a 68 torino. nascar was still using 427??? Or 428 cj? May be a early nascar B9 er ? Great story tx

Last edited:
One thing , that's not a 429 cj torino. 70 429 cj came in torino that's looks like a 68 torino. nascar was still using 427??? Or 428 cj? May be a early nascar B9 er ? Great story tx
They were doing a lot of parts swapping back then, what I get from the story, is that it was an actual NASCAR legit Torino (stock was a lot "stocker" back then) there was also ARCA, USAC and other racing organizations.. so who really knows? The 428 never made it into NASCAR but the side oiler 427 was the mainstay, I'm not sure they ever allowed the 429 (the actual semi hemi 429) because they had outlawed the Mopar hemi a few years before.
As you said, great story

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I'm just impressed at the detail the journalist was able to capture about the car.

"Today cops caught a nationally-renowned racecar driver driving this amazing machine at incredible speeds and woah that thing is unbelievable.

Oh, yeah, he was running shine or something. That's not really important. Look at that baby, I bet she roars! The driver's a bit of a badass too!"

TMO Supporting Vendors