The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This Looks Like The Place. New '13 B302 For Me. Only 1150 Miles, RR Pics and ?'s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I registered here a long time ago and forgot all about it. I shied away from Ford because of the dealer experiences I've had when inquiring about the GT500 and the Boss 302. I had decided long ago that I didn't want to deal with the whole allocation crap, dealer markup, share of Nations BS. Since then I bought a Challenger SRT8, sold it. Bought a '11 997.2 GT3, sold that too. The Challenger was a nice cruiser but too lumbering. The GT3 was way too focused and has a very narrow use for the track imo.

Last weekend I got a call from the BMW dealer as they received their first M4. As I have one on order I went over to the dealer to take a look at it. Well they sold that M4 within a day but the guy who bought it traded in a '13 Race Red B302. 1,150 miles on it. I drove it....and then I bought it :metal:

The original owner took the mufflers off and put on straight pipes with Magnaflow tips. It sounds like crackling thunder :nice:. He also swapped out the the front grill and front and rear valance. Not sure if I like the look so I might change it back to stock. Otherwise the car is in great shape, has the track key, stock parts and factory car cover in the trunk etc.

This car is so fun (and easy) to drive. Responsive, handles really well, plenty of power. Bang for the buck you simply cannot beat this car. It looks great too. The rear tires aren't going to last very long...:D

Having the M4 on order and also thinking about the Hellcat Challenger, I'm not thinking about getting one or the other anymore. At least right now, I'm totally enamored with this Boss 302.

Right now I have a few questions. I'd like to take off the Roush grills in the front of my car and potentially replace the top with the Boss 302S grill but what I don't know is whether or not the faux foglight surround diameter is larger than the stock grill. If the grill is the same then I'll just put on the stocker back on. Also my front splitter is pretty scraped up and I'd like to replace it but I'd rather not have to buy the whole kit, rather just the front lip. I'll take any suggestions on good vendors with good prices and service. Glad I finally got myself into a Boss... 8)

IMG_0561-L.jpg

IMG_0560-L.jpg

IMG_0562-L.jpg

IMG_0563-L.jpg

IMG_0564-L.jpg

IMG_0565-L.jpg

IMG_0566-L.jpg

Welcome to BMO and congratulations. The Boss is a blast to drive and it's a lot of fun passing P cars on track. ;D. I'm not that familiar with the 2013 grille but I believe you can use the stock grille and install the metal screen and basically have the 302S grille. A member here sells the screen precut and powder coated. Have fun with your Boss!

I'm also a Porsche fan and I'm curious why you sold your GT3?

Randy welcome to BMO, this is a great group of guys and gals for sure. Not the kind of nonsense you get on a lot of forums. To my knowledge the 302s grill is just a modified stock grill so the fog light cutouts should be the same size. It appears from the picture your splitter is the stock base Boss 302 splitter which can be purchased from many sources for around $300 to $400. I thought they were cheaper but my search yielded a best price of $352 plus shipping. http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/oemparts.php?partstr=123/DR3Z17626BA.html

Maybe someone else can know of a better deal.

Hackleman said:
Randy welcome to BMO, this is a great group of guys and gals for sure. Not the kind of nonsense you get on a lot of forums. To my knowledge the 302s grill is just a modified stock grill so the fog light cutouts should be the same size. It appears from the picture your splitter is the stock base Boss 302 splitter which can be purchased from many sources for around $300 to $400. I thought they were cheaper but my search yielded a best price of $352 plus shipping. http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/oemparts.php?partstr=123/DR3Z17626BA.html

Oops looks like little brother used my computer and failed to log out. Oh well what he said, I mean what I said.

NFSBOSS said:
Welcome to BMO and congratulations. The Boss is a blast to drive and it's a lot of fun passing P cars on track. ;D. I'm not that familiar with the 2013 grille but I believe you can use the stock grille and install the metal screen and basically have the 302S grille. A member here sells the screen precut and powder coated. Have fun with your Boss!

I'm also a Porsche fan and I'm curious why you sold your GT3?

The GT3 was a kick ass car for certain but using it on the street wasn't all that great. Imo it has a single focus as a track car. I'm a motorcycle track day instructor and don't have much time or too much desire to do car days. Wadding up a bike is one thing, wadding up a car is a whole 'nother lol..

The GT3 was really freaking expensive too. I also don't have faith in Porsche as a company. When you pay that much money you shouldn't have to wonder whether or not the company will honor their warranty. Loved the car however.

Hackleman said:

Thanks for that link. The car I have was at the dealer for roughly 8 months. I think all the damage to the front lip happened there. It was at a small dealer, most likely on the showroom for most its time with a $10K dealer markup on the window lol.

Guys, love the Boss 302. I've had many cars through the years (including two '70 models) and I can't remember having this much fun in a car at any price It is a blast to drive, I fit in it well, it's a comfortable DD and a hooligan when I want it to be. Very pleased with this car.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Welcome to the club! Keep those grilles for track duty on hot days.

Actually I might just leave it on now. I like the look of the Boss 302S grill better but the Roush grill supposedly flows up to 40% more air. Guess these cars tend to run a bit hot and would rather have the car run a cool as possible.

Congratulations on your new purchase - as a fellow sportbike junkie, I am sure that you will love your Boss, too!

Could you tell me your impressions of your Magnaflow straight through axlebacks? Is there much drone? Thank you!

John

Champale said:
Congratulations on your new purchase - as a fellow sportbike junkie, I am sure that you will love your Boss, too!

Could you tell me your impressions of your Magnaflow straight through axlebacks? Is there much drone? Thank you!

John

They're freaking loud man. Way too loud for the street. They drone... a lot..! But they also crackle like thunder lol. All you want to do is get squirrely and red line it lol. They're fun for now but I'll be putting the stock mufflers back on at some point. Probably after I get a ticket or a neighbor gives me a tongue lashing... ;D

Hah yeah that's pretty much what I expected you to say!

I have the side pipes open and Ford OE GT500 axlebacks - the noise level and tone is pretty much perfect . . . but sometimes I do crave more looney! I highly recommend the GT500s in lieu of the stock Boss ABs. Deeper tone, slightly louder, zero drone.

This is a great forum and if you have any thoughts about modifying your car in any other ways, there is a wealth of knowledge from guys who really know what they are talking about (and even more 'knowledge' from fools like me!).

Champale said:
Hah yeah that's pretty much what I expected you to say!

I have the side pipes open and Ford OE GT500 axlebacks - the noise level and tone is pretty much perfect . . . but sometimes I do crave more looney! I highly recommend the GT500s in lieu of the stock Boss ABs. Deeper tone, slightly louder, zero drone.

This is a great forum and if you have any thoughts about modifying your car in any other ways, there is a wealth of knowledge from guys who really know what they are talking about (and even more 'knowledge' from fools like me!).

Thanks. I guess right now I'm looking for a dependable online vendor with good prices. I need a new (stock) deckled panel as the last owner out a different on on and broke a tab on the stock on. I'll need a new front splitter as well, it just too boogered up. Prices I'ven seen for new splitter on a '13 B302 is more than my old '11 GT3.

The link that someone sent earlier is consistently one of the lowest priced ones out there.

That is interesting about the cost - Mustang parts generally are so much cheaper than Porsche parts it laughable (one of my best friends is a serial 911 buyer and I have to chuckle when he tell me how much various exhausts/suspensions/etc cost).

The GT3 has that LONG nose and sits so low that it was probably getting scraped way more frequently than the Boss nose. I am lowered on KW coilovers and my splitter is still over 5" off the ground.

Randy M said:
Thanks. I guess right now I'm looking for a dependable online vendor with good prices. I need a new (stock) deckled panel as the last owner out a different on on and broke a tab on the stock on. I'll need a new front splitter as well, it just too boogered up. Prices I'ven seen for new splitter on a '13 B302 is more than my old '11 GT3.
Check eBay for take off parts.

in reference to you roush grille ?

if you have the roush lower with slats, be careful wanting to remove it

as I understand you have to cut the slats bigger to accommodate the lower

see vid here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z46zXqy1IK0

GOT SVT said:
in reference to you roush grille ?

if you have the roush lower with slats, be careful wanting to remove it

as I understand you have to cut the slats bigger to accommodate the lower

see vid here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z46zXqy1IK0

Hey thanks for that. I wouldn't have known. Yes my car has both the upper and lower Roush grills. Guess I'll be keeping it the way it is. It looks good, I just like the B302S grill. Airflow is a plus for sure though.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Randy M said:
The GT3 was really freaking expensive too. I also don't have faith in Porsche as a company. When you pay that much money you shouldn't have to wonder whether or not the company will honor their warranty.

I think the reason Porsche got rid of the manual transmission on the GT2, GT3 and Turbo was to eliminate arguing with owners over whether expensive repairs like a blown engine should be covered by warranty.

Porsche could claim the driver missed a downshift with a manual transmission and that's why the engine blew-and they could prove it.

With a PDK trans, that problem is solved.

four-walling said:
I think the reason Porsche got rid of the manual transmission on the GT2, GT3 and Turbo was to eliminate arguing with owners over whether expensive repairs like a blown engine should be covered by warranty.

Porsche could claim the driver missed a downshift with a manual transmission and that's why the engine blew-and they could prove it.

With a PDK trans, that problem is solved.

Yeah I agree. They also have the DME which logs absolutely everything. Porsche is more of an adversary to their customers imo. Ford probably is too but when you spend the large amount of dollars it takes to buy a Porsche the warranty should commensurate.

TMO Supporting Vendors