The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thoughts on a street/track rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter said:
Hmm.... Thats a lot of track time on theDBA 5000 discs. Makes me wonder if I should go to 2 pc disks... I don't get more then 12 events max some times less on my stoptechs 1pc.... I just received a set of stock OEM discs but the chumps sent the wrong part number, looks like a pair of Focus discs....... aftrer shipping duties etc .... :mad:

I went with the DBA5ks because they looked cool with the kangaroo paw slot pattern, and I was willing to pay for the lower weight. Of course, the weight saved is only in the aluminum hat, which is at the center of the rotor. I think I remember about 4 pounds of weight saving versus the stock rotor.

I search for replacement rings during Memorial Day and Black Friday and Xmas sales.... but then I go measure my rotor thickness, and I still haven't bought either new rotors or rings.

I still don't know if this is typical or atypical rotor wear. I don't want to suggest long wear if I just happened to get lucky. :-X

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I just got offered a very good price on a set of DBA 5000 discs to go with my stock Boss Brembos calipers. I was decided on going too a set of OEM discs but my supplier sent me the wrong discs.
My question is.... Are the DBA5000's worth it (about 40% off)? Or should I just wait until I can get some 2015 15" brake discs and appropriate 18" wheels??

this season I will upgrade to slicks so I anticipate my top speeds at our fasted track will be 145mph braking to a 50mph Chicane. With Semi slicks I got too 138mph.

Should I just stay with the Stock brembos for 10min sections (8 full out laps approx)? Or... Would the stock brembos with the DBA5000 2pc discs be a good upgrade..... Or should I just wait till I get a 15in setup??

With the Semi slicks I had no real brake problems with Pagid pads and stoptech slotted rotores.

Bay Area
Im an glad to see this subject came up. I have been wondering what to do with the pads and rotors Im sitting on. I was going to run my Hawk Slotted rotors and 5.0 pads for occasion track days and then put my new stock pads back in for DD duty. But from what I am gathering here is I should run my Hawk pads and rotors for DD duty and get another set of Hawk race pads for the track. Then I can save the multiple sets of stock pads and rotors for another day or sale them. Doe this sound about right? TIA

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am a little on the lazy side. i just use Pagid pads that work fine on the street, and on the track. Makes life simple!! So it makes a little noise!!

Bay Area
Mad Hatter said:
I am a little on the lazy side. i just use Pagid pads that work fine on the street, and on the track. Makes life simple!! So it makes a little noise!!

I was just contemplating running the Hawk pads and rotator full time. Its not like I drive the car daily. Maybe once or twice a week if its not raining.

byronj said:
I was just contemplating running the Hawk pads and rotator full time. Its not like I drive the car daily. Maybe once or twice a week if its not raining.

I've run Hawk 5.0 on the street and they are good (albeit expensive for a street pad). They are not that great on the track.

I'd get another set of Hawk racing pads if you want to swap between the two for street and track days.

Based on the info here, that is basically what I'm planning to do, but using Carbotect as my brand choice. I'm leaving the rotors alone and using more of a toss\replace strategy moving forward.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If those are the Hawk HP+ pads then better buy the cheapest rotors as they seem to be very aggressive on rotors. I have never used them but plenty people do, at least when they start out. Most do switch to something better very quickly!

I do know that the Pagid RS29 lasts about me 10 to 12 events and the Hawk HP+ last 2 to 3 max with my friends cars. Thats why now use other pads....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel