The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thoughts on my lower mesh grille/Blowfish Racings tow hook combination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had a few people ask about making my lower mesh grille to work with Blowfish Racings front tow hook. I am willing to make some if there is enough interest. I think I have an idea what needs to be done, but being that I have never seen BFR's towhook setup in person, I can't be certain. I did make one grille to fit Craigs plate bracket, so maybe it will sorts look like this...... by the way, the opening is not needed for Craigs bracket. They will work together without the opening.

wtep.jpg

I had someone offer to ship me there hook which might be needed. Others have given me dimensions. From what I understand, there are a couple of designs too, which may complicate things. I would like to see a close up pic of the lower opening with the hook setup installed to start with. Can anyone post or email me pics of the hook??? Also, if you want a grille, please let me know. I need to see how many people are actually interested. Would like to get 5+ people on board.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I can send you a bracket if that's all that's in your way. Pm me and I will get one to you when I return from vacation next Monday.

To start, a good picture or two of the hook in the opening would help. Might be able to build them without actually having the hook setup if I get could pics and measurments.

Grant 302 said:
This is the early hook. I'm the one who measured 1" x 5" to clear it.

7423896964_8d7ddf8649.jpg

So by the picture, the hook appears to be dead center in the opening, correct?
Also, is the hook tight to the upper fascia?
If this is the case, I could make the opening to be 5 1/4" by 1 1/8" and it should fit with ease, correct? This would leave an 1/8" gap all around the hook.
I would probably use two uprights instead of one, with the uprights being placed at the 5 1/4" spacing from C/L. Would that look OK?
So is the newer version is different in size?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
06mach1 said:
So by the picture, the hook appears to be dead center in the opening, correct?
Also, is the hook tight to the upper fascia?
If this is the case, I could make the opening to be 5 1/4" by 1 1/8" and it should fit with ease, correct? This would leave an 1/8" gap all around the hook.
I would probably use two uprights instead of one, with the uprights being placed at the 5 1/4" spacing from C/L. Would that look OK?
So is the newer version is different in size?

My hook support is tight to the upper side of the facia opening.

Sounds perfect to me. Two uprights make the most sense.

So now the next question.... what's the difference between the old version and the new? Steve, can you measure the piece that sticks thru the opening and also, does it sit tight to the upper part of the fascia like Grants does?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I will take some measurements tomorrow. I don't think the top of the fascia hits the top of the mount. Think there is room to pass the hoop of the screen over it. I was going to remove part of the center bar and mesh to clear and keep the "halo" intact. Maybe I'm wrong we'll see tomorrow.
Steve

Swiss Boss said:
I can get some measurement if you need them.

If you make two upright, I think it would look nice if they match the two fascia support.

Just my 0.02

Yes, I could sure use some measurements. As far as the uprights go, I might still use just one upright in the center. Not sure though. It would be nice if the uprights matched the fascia supports. Might be just a little more work though.

Ok, for the guys that want a grille with the opening for the blowfish tow hook, take a look at the pics below. I used paper to block off the view of different uprights in each picture. The first one has one upright, the second pic has two uprights. How do you want them made? The opening on this one is 5 1/4" wide by 1 1/4" deep. Is this the correct size opening for everyone?

nd88.jpg

oq96.jpg

GA
06mach1 said:

I vote for this one- it looks like it is more structurally sound. Will these be backwards compatible with the installation of the first design you made (i.e. same mounting hole position)?

PJWANNABE said:
I vote for this one- it looks like it is more structurally sound. Will these be backwards compatible with the installation of the first design you made (i.e. same mounting hole position)?

Both versions will be strong. I think I probably over weld them now! As far as the holes lining up, if you didn't get one of the first 20 or so, I think the mounting holes should match up. They may even match up close enough with that first ones built as I only change the hole location by about an 1/8 of an inch. With the grilles now, I build each grille separately by hand, but I do drill the hole in the same location on each grille.

Any chance you will modify the old ones? I started making cuts on mine and now I'm not so sure mine will look right. Plus I would have to redo the mesh.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Dean#4AI said:
Any chance you will modify the old ones? I started making cuts on mine and now I'm not so sure mine will look right. Plus I would have to redo the mesh.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

It would be tough to modify one that has already been powdercoated. To weld on one, one would need to get the existing coating off, which might not be a lot of fun, especially with the mesh. Better off selling your used grille and buying a new one. How much cutting have you done?

The only reason I started making this version is because I had a few members ask about it and also, I have caught up (sort of) with demand for the regular grille. I will say it is a little bit more work to make though, as I still have to make the regular version first, then I have to ad the uprights then cut and move the center section.

I have my front bumper off.
Here the measurement I just did :

ivqo.jpg

69ak.jpg

I think you can make the opening a little smaller. Like 5"wide and 3/4 deep.
The little mark you see by the left on the second picture is where the grille will be approximately located.

As far as the design goes, both models look good to me.

TMO Supporting Vendors