The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thoughts on removing the stripes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If I could have ordered a car, I probably would have ordered a stripe delete with black roof. Thinking about removing the stripe altogether and possibly wrapping the roof...or doing a different color stripe.

I know what the purists would say, but do you think it would hurt the value much? And do you the the paint under the stripe will be okay from curing, scratches etc.

I've never shy'd from making any of my cars my own, even my Boss. But my insides feel different about this one. Maybe because I've really only had it in my possession for one day.

Thoughts...anybody delete their stripes?

You can guess what I think on this. ;D

36B77A8D-A6A2-48A7-9F3E-E89AB93A0FBF_zpstol2gvs8.jpg

VoodooBOSS said:
You can guess what I think on this. ;D

I think it looks great VoodooBOSS. Was it hard, a lot of residue, recommendations?

My boss at work wants to order a stripe delete so he doesn't have the remorse. He will remove the splitters on his GT500 with carbon fiber. But I guess you can always put them back. To go back with stripes, thanks to the dual color, you'll have to buy what I'm sure is a very expensive Ford kit.

VoodooBOSS said:
You have to order the stripes, they do not come with them, so it's not a stripe delete. ;) I did not order them. After seeing the two red R's at Laguna Seca at the Historic Races last year I decided not to order stripes.

My boss did the same thing a few weeks ago at Meccum Denver. He saw a red R no stripes for sale, so he's pretty sure he doesn't want stripes.

In the V6L
Darth Boss said:
If I could have ordered a car, I probably would have ordered a stripe delete with black roof. Thinking about removing the stripe altogether and possibly wrapping the roof...or doing a different color stripe.

I know what the purists would say, but do you think it would hurt the value much? And do you the the paint under the stripe will be okay from curing, scratches etc.

I've never shy'd from making any of my cars my own, even my Boss. But my insides feel different about this one. Maybe because I've really only had it in my possession for one day.

Thoughts...anybody delete their stripes?

The cars that the GT350 competes with - BMW's and Porsches - don't come with stripes or covers, so I ordered my car as black with no stripes and no cover. Saved some money on stuff I didn't need in the first place and the car looks great!

I'm a fan of no stripes on the GT350 as well...keeps the attention down and the money saved goes directly towards more track goodies :) I've never removed vinyl stripes but it should be similar to removing clear bra, warm them a little with a blow dryer or heat gun, peel off slowly (warming as you go) and use rubbing alcohol to remove any residual residue. If it were me and the car is brand new I might wait a month or two before pulling them off just to make sure the paint will stay with the car but I don't know if that's necessary.

And you can always add the stripes back later, any decent clear bra/vinyl shop should be able to do it.

I wouldn't have this car in any color other than white with blue stripes. Just like I wouldn't have a 8 cyl ferrari other than in red (if I were buying one, which sadly I'm not).
For me it's both the heritage and the fact that it does look particularly good in white and blue.

My boss did the same thing a few weeks ago at Meccum Denver. He saw a red R no stripes for sale, so he's pretty sure he doesn't want stripes.

BTW, All Red R's have no stripes. Ford did not allow ANY stripe color to be ordered on the Red R's.
I "assume" it was because the red accent stripe for the R stripes would not have been visible.

Rick R said:
I wouldn't have this car in any color other than white with blue stripes. Just like I wouldn't have a 8 cyl ferrari other than in red (if I were buying one, which sadly I'm not).
For me it's both the heritage and the fact that it does look particularly good in white and blue.

I don't think there really is a bad color option or stripe option. I wish however they would let you order any stripe color with any color combo. I think that would have been cool to see. Like the blue stripes on a yellow car.

TMO Supporting Vendors