The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thoughts on whether our Boss 302's will have future value.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Mike_B_SVT said:
Well, I gotta chime in on this one too :)

I agree with what everyone else has said: it will be worth more than a GT of a similar age. As the years pass, it will be worth considerably more than a GT of a similar age. Of course condition, miles, color and options will be a factor as well.

Look at other post-classic "limited" production Mustangs for examples;
- 79 Pace Car Mustang -> worth more than msrp in good condition, and alot more than a similar year fox car.
- 84 1/2 GT350 Mustang -> worth more than msrp in good condition, and alot more than a similar year fox car.
- 93 Cobra -> worth right around msrp in good, low miles, ORIGINAL condition, and quite a bit more than a similar year fox car.
- 94-2001 Cobra -> ...I can't really comment on these, but I'm sure they are worth more than similar year Mustangs.
- 2003 - 2004 Cobra -> currently at about 1/2 of msrp and worth quite a bit more than a similar year Mustang.
**arguably, some of these examples are the only versions considered "worth collecting" from thier era of production.

Where will the Boss be in 10 years? I'm guessing it will follow the trend of the 93 and 03 Cobras - it will be worth right around half of MSRP as as 10 year old limited production Mustang. Right around 15 years, the value will start to increase (looks at 93 cobra values), although I dont' if this is due to perceived value, or just inflation.

I've heard that good condition, low mileage SVOs are worth MSRP or better. Hopes are the Boss can do at least that.

I bought a 1993 Cobra new in houston, supercharged it to 340 at the rear wheels and loved the car. I had nittos on it and was driving home in the rain one day and totaled it out. It had 110 thousand miles on it and my insurance company (USAA) paid me 11,500 dollars for it. I asked them if I could by the car from them and they sold it back to me for 1500 hundred dollars. I then had it towed to my house and made some calls to mustang shops and sold it for 3500 with the powerdyne supercharger still on it. I think he wanted to part it out and I realized I had left money on the table when I sold it to him. He did however buy me the largest bottle of Crown Royal you could buy (probably 50 dollars) and a pack of cigarettes to close the deal. I sold cars for many years and some of the ones you mention and the price you give seems a little high. Just because ebay has a buy it now price on a restored 1979 Mustang of 20,000 dollars(just a fictitous example) don't think that is what they bring. Mid 1970's cars up to the early eightys cars were not collectible in my opinion due to the horsepower rating of all the manufacturers at that time. The 1973 corvette is a good example. IMO the 03 Cobras will retain good value and the Boss's will too. Remember the more you modify them the less the value that a true purists will be willing to shell out for original stock. Being in the car business, if you are going to buy a mustang pay a little more for the specialty models like the cobras and the boss's. ( I think it is a bad time to buy a Boss because of the novelty and the hoopla surrounding them at this time.) I am not saying that the Boss is not the best mustang ever made I am just saying if you wait the price will come down after the lights dim on this hot item. I would suspect that some dealers would be willing to sell the Shelbys at invoice if you are a serious buyer because of the Boss mustangs pricing and the performance is as good if not better in many aspects and they are considrably cheaper. I see that the price of these Bosses has already come down in the last couple of months and a good indication of this is the relisting on ebay that the dealers are doing on the same car. This is an indication that they are not getting any offers at the current pricing. Not to say that some "Lay Down" won't come in and buy it at 5000 over!
Harry

I personally don't see anywhere near the type of collector status as the original Boss, and here's why.
The original Shelby GT500s are also worth a ton, and when they were re-released a few years ago, Ford said that they'd be 'limited production'. Turns out that didn't end up being the case, and dealers around here at least, still have leftover '11s, which are being discounted as much as $10k.
I was at the press launch up at Laguna, where Ford stated that the Laguna would have a run of 750, and the 'regular' Boss would run to 2500. Then they told individual 'reporters' that there was 'no' cap on the regular Boss. If you read various car rags, you'll see some write there's a cap of 2500, and others that there is none.
Knowing what I do about Ford, I expect them to make slightly more than they thing they can sell. If it ends up being around 2500, then so be it. If it ends up being 9,000, then they'll make 9,000.
When I look at the (modern) GT500 run, and the (IMO purposeful) ambiguity on just how many 'regular' Boss 302s Ford is gonna make, I don't see anything that would make these things rare enough to even bring back MSRP for 'em 30-years down the road, let alone 5-times that. Another factor that could negatively impact at least the '12s, and could actually sink 'em entirely, is the transmission. If Ford installs a different trans in the '13, or even just re-designs the MT-82 and/or switches manufacturing and assembly plants from China to somewhere else(here ideally), without providing the SAME 'upgraded' or 'NEW' transmission for the '12s(it would need to be a recall that encompasses ALL '12s, whether they've had problems or not), the '12 will be known as the year to not touch with a 20-foot-pole. Now mind you if this happens, the aftermarket will have 'options', but whatever people do to 'fix' their '12 Bosses, it won't be uniform, and thus won't affect the negative reputation. The other option if Ford 'fixes' the problem(s) on the '13 but leaves the '12s alone, is a massive number of law-suits. The only problem I see with that happening, is people are generally lazy, and non-confrontational. Even with a TON of '11-12 Mustang owners with problematic MT-82s right now, for the most part they're simply pissing and moaning on the internet, and are failing to take advantage of the one thing they have which could force action on Ford's part. Organizing and using their NUMBERS to go after Ford.
Anyway...like everyone else, I don't posses a crystal ball, so all I can do is 'predict' based off what I see currently, and compare that to the original run of the Boss and Shelby's. Based on this, I think the Boss will simply 'book' for slightly more than the GT.
The one Mustang that I see as the possbile 'wild-card', is the freaking V-6. Mind you I don't think for a second that it'll achieve 'collector' status...there's just too damn many of 'em made. What I DO see as a possibility, is this model retaining MORE of it's MSRP(i.e. depreciating less) than it's V8 brothers. Fuel prices, the direction manufacturers take with their future powertrain choices, and the aftermarket I think will play a large part in affecting where this model's future value ends up.

yokev said:
I personally don't see anywhere near the type of collector status as the original Boss, and here's why.
I think most of us agree with this statement.

yokev said:
I was at the press launch up at Laguna, where Ford stated that the Laguna would have a run of 750, and the 'regular' Boss would run to 2500. Then they told individual 'reporters' that there was 'no' cap on the regular Boss. If you read various car rags, you'll see some write there's a cap of 2500, and others that there is none. Knowing what I do about Ford, I expect them to make slightly more than they thing they can sell. If it ends up being around 2500, then so be it. If it ends up being 9,000, then they'll make 9,000.
The numbers I've seen since the launch is 750 LS and 3,250 Boss cars for a total of 4,000 for MY2012. From the current production numbers Ford is on target to make this many and not one more or less. That could change of course. For 2013 it's anybody's guess but sales seem to be softening a bit and I wouldn't be surprised to see cars below MSRP by year end. With the car changing for MY2015 I doubt they will continue with the Boss beyond MY2014. I also believe from the Ford management perspective the Boss is a much more revered car than any of the Shelby Mustangs. If they make 4,000 cars each year for a total of 8,000 cars that will be consistent with the original Boss 302 two year run for total production.

The difference between the Boss and GT500 intro's is the allocation process. Ford, at least for MY2012, only allocated X amount and it doesn't appear that they are in a position to allocate more cars. Again subject to change but I don't think it will. Did they do this with the Shelby GT500's?

This statement I will guarantee with 100% confidence. If the 2012-2013 Boss's don't become collectors items, there will be NO modern day muscle car collectible.

I intend to buy a new Boss soon, not as an investment, but as a toy. I plan to drive it as much as possible, without regard to future value.
Even the original 302 Boss was a bad investment, from a purely monetary investment. Had the owner put that money into a good mutual fund, or gold, the return would have been much greater, but he would not have enjoyed the car. Placing a value on having the car to drive is hard to do. We could all get around just fine in a good used Toyota Corolla, but I am buying my Boss for pure fun. I am 52 years old, and have three pickup trucks, two Harleys, a Suburban, and a 93 Corvette convertible, which we seldom drive. Maybe once per year.
The Vette is beautiful. White with red leather interior and a white convertible top. It is showroom condition. Has a total of 22,000 miles. Had 20,000 when we bought it 12 years ago. It looks cool, but is not fun to drive. Hard for me to get in and out of, and handles like a 93 Corvette. Has plenty of power, but feels like it is going 90 when it is going 55. It is just no fun. I figure with insurance and license costs, I have spent about 12 bucks per mile at least to drive it, but the wife likes it sitting there, so I like her having what she wants.

I thought that I wanted a new SS Camaro, until I drove one. I was disappointed. Don't know if I can drive a Boss before buying one, at least not enough as I need to. I am going to go rent a new GT and drive it for a couple of days. Hopefully, it will give me a good idea, before I pay $44K plus taxes for a new Boss. I ain't rich. I waste all my money on guns (which, by the way, are a very good investment, if you buy quality). All of my other vehicles are at least 10 years old, except for the 2010 Harley. I don't have money to invest in anything, but I have almost enough to buy that new Boss. I fully expect it to lose value quickly. So what. I hope to drive it hard, and I am budgeting some money each month to pay the rolling tax collectors for the speeding fines. I fully expect this to be an expensive toy. I work hard, and I want it. My kid can worry about the value when I die. If I die in it, that is as good of a way to go as I know. Beats the heck out of lying in a nursing home, hoping they change my diaper today, because they didn't do it yesterday.

Jeff Quinn

Jeff Quinn said:
I intend to buy a new Boss soon, not as an investment, but as a toy. I plan to drive it as much as possible, without regard to future value.
Even the original 302 Boss was a bad investment, from a purely monetary investment. Had the owner put that money into a good mutual fund, or gold, the return would have been much greater, but he would not have enjoyed the car. Placing a value on having the car to drive is hard to do. We could all get around just fine in a good used Toyota Corolla, but I am buying my Boss for pure fun. I am 52 years old, and have three pickup trucks, two Harleys, a Suburban, and a 93 Corvette convertible, which we seldom drive. Maybe once per year.
The Vette is beautiful. White with red leather interior and a white convertible top. It is showroom condition. Has a total of 22,000 miles. Had 20,000 when we bought it 12 years ago. It looks cool, but is not fun to drive. Hard for me to get in and out of, and handles like a 93 Corvette. Has plenty of power, but feels like it is going 90 when it is going 55. It is just no fun. I figure with insurance and license costs, I have spent about 12 bucks per mile at least to drive it, but the wife likes it sitting there, so I like her having what she wants.

I thought that I wanted a new SS Camaro, until I drove one. I was disappointed. Don't know if I can drive a Boss before buying one, at least not enough as I need to. I am going to go rent a new GT and drive it for a couple of days. Hopefully, it will give me a good idea, before I pay $44K plus taxes for a new Boss. I ain't rich. I waste all my money on guns (which, by the way, are a very good investment, if you buy quality). All of my other vehicles are at least 10 years old, except for the 2010 Harley. I don't have money to invest in anything, but I have almost enough to buy that new Boss. I fully expect it to lose value quickly. So what. I hope to drive it hard, and I am budgeting some money each month to pay the rolling tax collectors for the speeding fines. I fully expect this to be an expensive toy. I work hard, and I want it. My kid can worry about the value when I die. If I die in it, that is as good of a way to go as I know. Beats the heck out of lying in a nursing home, hoping they change my diaper today, because they didn't do it yesterday.

Jeff Quinn

I like your outlook :)
one thing: I test drove a GT before getting my Boss, and pretty much everything that I didnt like on the GT is addressed in the Boss.
( notably you'll find on the GT during test drive: lurching faceplanting upon emergency braking, imprecise turn in from mushy shocks, seats that do not have good side supports, and a need to go higher in RPM ) all these things are night and day , the Boss is really awesome. and last but not least because it surprised me: the GT clutch is smooth and very progressive through the entire pedal range, the Boss is not and more race inspired, ie it grabs quickly on a short travel , albeit precisely so you have to get used to it.

;)

GA
Jeff Quinn said:

Jeff Quinn

Drive it like you stole it, but take good care of it and it will hold its value fairly well compared to a standard GT. I did this with the 2008 Bullitt that I recently traded in and I got a decent trade-in for it. I went with a 2012 GT Premium with Brembos and 3.73 axle since a Boss was just a little too much for me to afford, even at MSRP, and the 0% and X-plan discount was too good to turn down. The GT is great but the suspension does need help so I will be getting the FRPP adjustable handling pack soon, and the power pack is on its way to deactivate skip shift, add some performance gains, and liven up the exhaust note. I do like having some of the conveniences now, since this is my one and only car. If you can afford a Boss and don't need the conveniences, I say get one.

rom said:
I like your outlook :)
one thing: I test drove a GT before getting my Boss, and pretty much everything that I didnt like on the GT is addressed in the Boss.
( notably you'll find on the GT during test drive: lurching faceplanting upon emergency braking, imprecise turn in from mushy shocks, seats that do not have good side supports, and a need to go higher in RPM ) all these things are night and day , the Boss is really awesome. and last but not least because it surprised me: the GT clutch is smooth and very progressive through the entire pedal range, the Boss is not and more race inspired, ie it grabs quickly on a short travel , albeit precisely so you have to get used to it.

;)
+1.
You don't need to test drive the Boss. Night and day between it and the GT. As far as the Camaro goes, well you had cause for disappointment. Ask any Boss owner and they'll tell you it's nothing like what's currently available on the market for under $50K.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel