The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thoughts??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thoughts on this package? I like the 3/36 warranty that comes with it.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hpe490-boss-302.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Considering their work comes with their tune, and Ford tells me the tune hurt something, then that's where their warranty comes in. Kind of like what Dinan does with BMW's. also, for all the people out there tuning cars with various tuners, what do you think Ford would say to them???

i only have a few words to say about that place...run far and run fast...you can get much better work done else where for much cheaper.
trust me as i have personal experiance with it..

if you google that shop you might see how many actice lawsuites they have going at one time. and the new owner of that shop took it over after the previous owner (jh) defaulted on his loans.
i think jh is still around as a employee whos being paid yearly now.

i have former customers who went to them and have never had the car right since.
all shops have issues, but they have many more than most

Yep, sure enough, John hennessey has had numerous issues. Kinda weird how he still gets major magazine stories and still many accolades. But, with his past issues regarding ripping off some customers, they will not touch my Boss.

I never knew hennessey had such bad rep.
like mentioned, i only read about them in magazines and build reviews, which gave me good impressions of the shop and the work they do.

A guy at work has his brand new red 2013 GT in their shop at the moment getting a supercharger installed... No idea about his reputation but I'll sure be watching now to see what problems he encounters

One thing that confused/made me think twice is the salesman said he has a 13 GT with the HPE 490 package and loves it. When I asked why they tune both to 490 HP(thinking the Boss starts with a higher baseline) he said the Boss only puts down
5-10 more HP to the wheels at most. Hmmm?? He said when done the GT and Boss will put down 415-420 at the wheels. You would think they would get more out of the Boss starting with a 20+ HP advantage. Anyway. Curious to see how the supercharger(must be the 650 or 700 package) turns out.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Tflong24 said:
One thing that confused/made me think twice is the salesman said he has a 13 GT with the HPE 490 package and loves it. When I asked why they tune both to 490 HP(thinking the Boss starts with a higher baseline) he said the Boss only puts down
5-10 more HP to the wheels at most. Hmmm?? He said when done the GT and Boss will put down 415-420 at the wheels. You would think they would get more out of the Boss starting with a 20+ HP advantage. Anyway. Curious to see how the supercharger(must be the 650 or 700 package) turns out.

They Boss power advantage is mostly in the manifold, factory tune and RPM. When a base Coyote and Road Runner are given similar mods and tuning is done to fuel, spark and cam timing, power is close to the same. Theoretically the RR will live longer with better valve springs, forged pistons and stronger rods.
Steve

Wow, and imagine I only thought Hennessey was THE premier tuner for Corvette and the CTS. Guess you can't believe everything you read.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Don't forget, no one has come out with a fool proof hi flow cat for the boss. So, you either wait for the dreaded check engine light or their tune turns off the downstream O2's which will fail emissions.

I also don't believe you get the same 492@7400 with a coyote. The gt intake makes power fall off before 7400. I also don't believe a roadrunner would start to fall off at 7400. I had a boss intake on my gt and it kept pulling to my 7500 redline. I kept nailing the limiter if i wasnt eyeing the tach, which tells me theres at least a couple hundred rpm left before max power. I tried to get Bama to tune a higher redline, but they wouldn't do it.

TMO Supporting Vendors