The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Throttle body-Worth Upgrading?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I plan to go full bolt ons with my GT using the boss intake. Is it worth upgrading the stock throttle body? I am looking to increase the performance but I do not want to sacrifice any driveability as the car is a daily driver. I have read that the stock throttle body is best.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I had the Accufab 84.5mm TB since Shaun at AED said it was worth 7 to 9 hp. That combined with a good CAI and LT Headers and a good tune really wakes up the car and has no driving issues. Looking forward to seeing what the new twin 67mm setup is like.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
So back in the day, While searching for Ford Racing branded TB’s, I came across Gary Yeomans Dealership that had them on closeout pricing thru their wholesale parts operation. It was only $300 something so I pulled the trigger & saved 50/60%.

Installed it because I was running a PJ edition CF CAI by AirRaid with a 4.0” intake tube and it matched the larger opening of the Ford Racing branded 84.5MM so I got rid of the silicone reducer connector.

I ran it for a few days before & after with my SCR X4 to constantly check the AFR’s. It’s had very close readings across the rev bands. Within a decimal point or 2. That was many years ago and all is well. Note: I never felt any difference running the Track Key Tune.

A year or so later, I opened up the other end, (exhaust), with a set of Silver Ceramic Coated Kooks Shorty Headers & a set of Kooks Boss 302 Side Pipes (100% open & these were both added to the existing MagnaFlow 3.0” full exhaust system with X-Pipe.)

That is when I could feel a noticeable difference. Headers really give the best bang for the buck. I went with Shorties to keep my Track Key Tune, but I suspect with a set of LTH & a Tune by Sean you’ll really see a difference.

Good luck, spend wisely.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Would agree with that 100% Not much point doing the TB and/or CAI with out freeing up the exhaust side first. Just with a set of Kooks LTH and a basic Lund tune I had 403 rwhp and 380 ft/lbs torque.

Later when I added the 84.5mm TB and the same PJ airaid CAI with a AED race tune... the car had a very noticable bump in HP. With out the headers, I doubt you would see much gain.

Would agree with that 100% Not much point doing the TB and/or CAI with out freeing up the exhaust side first. Just with a set of Kooks LTH and a basic Lund tune I had 403 rwhp and 380 ft/lbs torque.

Later when I added the 84.5mm TB and the same PJ airaid CAI with a AED race tune... the car had a very noticable bump in HP. With out the headers, I doubt you would see much gain.

The only reason I have mentioned throttle body before headers is purely down to shipping to Hawaii. I have a couple more years in Hawaii before I move back to the mainland. Shipping out here is a rip off. Since the opinion is wait till the headers/high flow cats then I may as well just wait unless I can find a good used prices TB.

So the Accufab 84.5 is the one to go for? I think I read somewhere for the steeda Cai which I have it needs a 4 inch to 4 inch collar, is that right and where sells them.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If I remember right, Accufab made the ones for Ford racing. As far as the CAI, the steeda ones are a bit of old news. I like the Airaid PJ one I had, but looks like the PMAS ones flow better. Put a PMAS on a friends S550. massive thing that looks rather ugly, but its cheaper and it gets the best numbers. make sure you get the ones that say TUNE REQUIRED unless you are just going for eye candy (not that the PMAS is much to look at)

For another car we got the cheapest headers we could find at Summit racing and then added a quality collector and welded up a xpipe.. The results were pretty good for fraction of the costs of a Kooks setup.

If I remember right, Accufab made the ones for Ford racing. As far as the CAI, the steeda ones are a bit of old news. I like the Airaid PJ one I had, but looks like the PMAS ones flow better. Put a PMAS on a friends S550. massive thing that looks rather ugly, but its cheaper and it gets the best numbers. make sure you get the ones that say TUNE REQUIRED unless you are just going for eye candy (not that the PMAS is much to look at)

For another car we got the cheapest headers we could find at Summit racing and then added a quality collector and welded up a xpipe. The results were pretty good for fraction of the costs of a Kooks setup.

I already have the steeda Cai (tune required) stored for a while. I'm planning on a steeda tune due to free for life tunes.

What is the consensus on bbk and pypes headers?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Don’t know about the BBK and/or Pipes headers, but my Kooks ceramic coated headers still look brand new after 5/6 years and 20k miles later.

I would highly recommend a ceramic coating as my Try-Y OEM headers were rusty after 2/3yrs and 12/k miles of service.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Don’t know about the BBK and/or Pipes headers, but my Kooks ceramic coated headers still look brand new after 5/6 years and 20k miles later.

I would highly recommend a ceramic coating as my Try-Y OEM headers were rusty after 2/3yrs and 12/k miles of service.

I have Calico CT-25 Coolblack ceramic coating on my Kooks and Dave is right, they still look great.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just a note,,,, BBK headers have no collector to speak of. They give about 15hp compared to the 30 of a Kooks LTH..

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel