The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Throttle Booster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone here used a throttle response booster on their 5.0?
Does reducing throttle lag really make the ride smoother?
How does it feel compared to stock 'Sport+' or 'Track' modes, which also enhance throttle response?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
No experience here but maybe I can help clarify some things.
I don't know about "smoother" but on track, you ideally want the car to be as quick and responsive as possible. The suspension, steering, throttle, ect should all react to your inputs with minimal to no delay.

Sport and Track mode are actually neutral throttle response with Normal mode being reduced response, I believe. Other cars I've driven without varying throttle maps feel more similar to sport and track than normal mode.

Hope this helps

I don't know about "smoother" but on track, you ideally want the car to be as quick and responsive as possible [...]
Sport and Track mode are actually neutral throttle response with Normal mode being reduced response, I believe. Other cars I've driven without varying throttle maps feel more similar to sport and track than normal mode.
Thanks Ewheels.
Smooth=fast. On the Normal setup the throttle pedal lag causes throttle oscillation. It's neither smooth nor fast. I never use it even on street.
Sport/Track seems bearable. It is my impression too that Sport/Track is neutral, and Normal actually gives a reduced response.
However, if no one here ever needed a throttle booster, perhaps lets stick to the stock Sport/Track mode.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
"Throttle booster" to me means something like the Pedal Commander, where throttle response can be overly exaggerated at smaller pedal positions to make the car feel more powerful than it really is (and is primarily aimed at street racers and newbies to the whole realm of performance cars). You're sacrificing resolution at the smaller throttle openings, which can make driving out near the limit though the corners trickier than it need be. Especially in the wet (which would also be a street driving consideration and the whole reason that snow/wet drive modes intentionally dial the throttle response way back).

The basic concept of throttle resolution and changing the early throttle plate movement down for streetability reasons isn't anything new. It's been done, necessarily so in some cases, with strictly mechanical throttle operation.

Norm

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel