The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thunderbird Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I like that widebody kit, looks like the old IMSA GTO cars. Paint is cool but needs the blue too. Are the Thunderbirds flying again? We missed them at the Daytona 500 because of the low ceiling and then the Gov't shut them down. Awesome show if you get to see them or the Blue Angels.
Steve

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
steveespo said:
I like that widebody kit, looks like the old IMSA GTO cars. Paint is cool but needs the blue too. Are the Thunderbirds flying again? We missed them at the Daytona 500 because of the low ceiling and then the Gov't shut them down. Awesome show if you get to see them or the Blue Angels.
Steve

I think the sequester has them on the back burner but not positive. Being a retired Air Force officer what I'm about to say is blasphemous, but I've seen both the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels and I think the Naval aviators are actually better. Go Navy!

drano38

Wayne
OK, I'll pile on . . .
Overall, car looks great, but I agree with others that they need more blue in the paint scheme.

Yes, all fly-bys are gone for now, except maybe a few for very special events.

Tucson302--I'm a retired Air Force pilot, so here's my perspective. Blue Angels fly very close formation across show center, but spread out way too much while turning around. Thunderbirds fly with a more normal separation, but keep that spacing while turning around and setting up for the next pass, so they don't look like a gaggle away from show center.
They both put on a hell of a show. Canada's Snowbirds with 9 aircraft in formation is a great show also.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
drano38 said:
OK, I'll pile on . . .
Overall, car looks great, but I agree with others that they need more blue in the paint scheme.

Tucson302--I'm a retired Air Force pilot, so here's my perspective. Blue Angels fly very close formation across show center, but spread out way too much while turning around. Thunderbirds fly with a more normal separation, but keep that spacing while turning around and setting up for the next pass, so they don't look like a gaggle away from show center.
They both put on a hell of a show. Canada's Snowbirds with 9 aircraft in formation is a great show also.

No disrespect drano38...I was a medical service corps oficer and flew a desk for 21 years there all cool!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
drano38 said:
OK, I'll pile on . . .

I've seen the Snowbirds at the Canadian Grand Prix- Excellent demonstration. My all time favorite thing to do was in the early 80s we used to go down to Bethpage Long Island and watch Tomcat delivery check out flights. Watching them spool up the TF 30 engines and hit the burners against the blast deflectors then take off and go 60 degrees vertical was pretty cool. We stood at the fence line about 100 feet from the runway.
Steve

drano38

Wayne
Tucson302 said:
No disrespect drano38...I was a medical service corps oficer and flew a desk for 21 years there all cool!

No problem--and if I came across a little harsh, I didn't mean it--just giving my obviously biased opinion. ;D All demo teams are awesome, flight, parachutists, working dogs, firefighters, etc.

Steve, I almost joined the Navy, but luckily the Air Force gave me a pilot slot and I didn't think twice. I was at Memphis NAS on a cross country one day, and a pair of F-14's came up initial well above the approved airspeed--looked awesome. The kick of afterburners is always great, but feeling the aircraft jump when bombs/missiles are released is even better.

Not a fan of the wheels, but an easy swap...

I'll take the SR-71, please:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/30/one-off-sr-71-mustang-sells-for-375-000-at-eaa-airventure/

VTBoss302

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
drano38 said:
OK, I'll pile on . . .

Blue Angels FTW! Go Navy! Remember the Blue Angel Mustang they did a year or so ago? That was a killer car.

But on this car, if I could actually get it, I'd keep it.

drano38

Wayne
Yes, the Blue Angels Mustang looked great, as they all do. I didn't know about the SR-71 version until the above post. The roof of that car is awesome.
Lots of great Mustangs and demo teams for us to enjoy watching.

TMO Supporting Vendors