The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thunderhill video feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
Hi @Vadim, she has definitely picked up the pace since we were there last month. Good to see her improvements. I said it last time and I’ll say it again. She really should have gloves on. She definitely is smoother and its good to see her improve. She’s gotta work on her line in a few spots but for her 3rd track day she is definitely making improvements. Hope to see you guys at another event soon

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
It’s great that your video overlay has throttle input. I thought her line was overall good, however very early throttle pickup was making the turns more work than they needed to be. You could tell she was lifting on several straights to keep the speed down, which is perfectly fine, but then back to full throttle before corner entry and flat out through several turns. With video review, I would 100% focus on smooth throttle inputs and then waiting for apex for full throttle pickup. Very good pace for 3rd time on track - keep up the good work!!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It has been a long time since I ran at Thunderhill, but I would agree with the comments above yet the most important item is her lines are pretty good. I always look for understanding the line and being able to repeat it over and over , as it needs to be correct and consistent to properly learn braking and acceleration points. Her slowing down on the straights is universal with most new drivers , as there is a " Speed Comfort Zone," they need to build upon. I always felt if new drivers would concentrate on the placement of the car ( the racing line) , speed and yes, braking would come later , but with few bad habits. It drives Instructors nuts that some individuals with obvious talent are pretty quick in many areas but because they can not hit spots consistently they plateau and often are passed by others who understand the dynamics of concentration and control.

Viewing from afar, judging based on only 3 track visits, I was impressed she is using almost all the track most of the time, her steering inputs are not erratic, and though her throttle inputs are a little off, this is quite common ---it appears that portions of the track she is comfortable with she pushes harder. Jumping on the throttle in your confidence zones is what many of us do as we learn , and in fact it even happens with experienced drivers when on a new track.

With good TMO buddies in 67 and Byron, she is in good hands and I am sure she will improve at each outing, and in fact Byron already noted her improvements. Now, Dad , get her some stickier tires, haha.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors