The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thunderhill with HOD and Ross Bentley on September 17-18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone else going? I'm registered for the 17th as I have other plans for my birthday on the 18th. ;D This is an interesting track day weekend with HOD as Ross Bentley will be there instructing a group both days. I didn't register with that run group but I believe @SDS did. I've read his book Speed Secrets so it will be fun to at least meet him and maybe I'll be able to sneak in a few words of wisdom from him.

https://www.hookedondriving.com/event-details/9/17-18/2016_-_Weekend_with_Ross_Bentley

Bentley%20Program%20Description(3).jpg

Rick,

I'm signed up for the Ross Bentley group both days. Mary's driving with the PCA at TH Friday and signed up for C group with HOD for Saturday.

Steve

I'll be there that weekend coaching and driving. I believe my dad (@Bullitt08) will be there Saturday as well.

Ross is a pretty cool dude (although that is obvious). I met him at Laguna Seca earlier this year when he came down to chat with the HoD coaches. I think I could sit and talk (mostly listen) with him for hours on end.

VoodooBOSS said:
Ugh. It looks like it's going to be mid 90's there this weekend. :eek:

Yikes! Track temp will be even higher :'( Do the GT350s have any known cooling issues? I assume the big grill upfront helps keep air flowing through the radiator, but do their radiators happen to be 'boxed in' straight from the factory? This would be sweet if so!

Had a great time yesterday at Thunderhill. @mprichar87 was there with his dad driving his Spec Miata with his dad driving his 2008 Bullitt. @SDS was there along with his wife in her Porsche. His wife was flying in her 911.

As previously mentioned Ross Bentley was there and SDS participated in the two day event. Ross gave about a 20 minute discussion after lunch and he seems like a great guy. I might consider participating in this if HOD does this again next year.

6D3B61E5-8843-4641-9DA8-2671163667AC_zps2q1k10n3.jpg

Looks like the trickle down from the FGT to Mustang has already begun. ;)

A26E5811-83F6-4EE7-A94E-CFB679D49EBB_zpstes6hgyy.jpg

Spec Yaris? This car belonged to a HOD instructor and he races a spec Miata. He uses the Yaris for more track time and it has a full cage in it. This has to be a first! Not shown in the photo are his track wheels with new Toyo R1's mounted. While not the fastest car he was maintaining some pretty good corner speeds. Not a bad way to keep track time costs down that's for sure. @BigTaco

BB296679-1615-45EF-8E07-149245C6AE7E_zpswtltdexg.jpg

Or maybe he's going to make one of these:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/03/toyota-yaris-b-spec-club-racer/

01-toyota-yaris-b-spec-club-racer.jpg

Great pictures @VoodooBOSS. Are the tail lights on the mustang just aftermarket replacements or is that a hint at what the new mustangs will have? Not sure I really like them compared to the stock lights.

And that Yaris - definitely a first! I'd love to see it ripping through the track against other high power/high dollar cars :D

And by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sir ;)

Sydewaysix said:
Great pictures @VoodooBOSS. Are the tail lights on the mustang just aftermarket replacements or is that a hint at what the new mustangs will have? Not sure I really like them compared to the stock lights.

And that Yaris - definitely a first! I'd love to see it ripping through the track against other high power/high dollar cars :D

And by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sir ;)
Thank you!

It's aftermarket. I was walking by the car and thought something is different about it and turned around and then noticed the FGT tail lights. It was executed well but I'll stick the the stock tail lights.

Voodoo boss

Did you speak with anyone that was in the Ross Bentley semi private group? I'm participating in the HOD RossBentley event at Watkins next month. I'd love to hear thoughts.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a good time this weekend, and always good to see you Rick and to meet your son. I don't know the other instructor that has a Yaris but that's awesome, was he giving demo rides at lunch? My SM was having issues yesterday afternoon (turned out to be a bad air flow meter and someone has a spare I bought off them which was sweet) but that allowed me to drive my dad's Bullitt for the instructor demo rides...that was a blast although it's no Boss :D @Bullitt08

I was lucky to attend the Ross Bentley class last weekend - definitely the most valuable coaching I've received.

About half of the lessons and discussions were technique related, but the really valuable stuff had more to do with the mental game and how to change your mental programming of track driving and self coach your track work to improve on your own.

Ross has authored a bunch of books, he also has a YouTube channel that has short lessons so you can check out his teachings yourself.

If HOD offers this class again don't hesitate to sign up if you can.

Steve

Thanks for the input Steve. I'm attending at Watkins glen in a few weeks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors