The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ticking Sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had the same tick from new, and cut the A/C belt and it didn't go away. I took it in to the dealership and found it was an exhaust leak on the passenger side where the Hpipe and the pipe with the cat join. They replaced the gasket and it's gone. Give it a try, you never know.

I had a similar "ticking" in my 2012 GT and it turned out to be the timing chain tensioner(s). There is another TSB that was published about it. I took it to the Dealer and laid the printed TSB on the passenger seat and they took care of it.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3524/tsb12-03-01.htm
I hope you get it taken care of.

I have the same sound on my 2012. Initially thought it was header gasket leak after the bolts heated and cooled over the first 4k miles or so, so had dealer tighten everything back to spec. I noticed it again over this summer - I now have 14K on it and almost ready to put it away for the winter. I'm not planning to do anything further about it. As long as I know it isn't a significant problem with the car, I can live with it.

FIXED: I took my car to a different Dealer (3rd one) and they did the TSB (add a tensioner to ac belt) that I have been requesting all along....and....drum roll.....the ticking sound is GONE. Its crazy i had to find a dealer that would finally do it. They said they talked to ford and Ford didn't hesitate they sent the parts and bam fixed. the dealer was Conway Ford in South Carolina if anyone is interested. Most Professional service department I have ever worked with.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Excellent

Dealership service departments vary more that you would think.

I have a great one. Always find a solution and know the warranty systems and work them to the customers and their advantage.

Had the Boss in to replace the left front marker light, the lense departed, under warranty. Showed the parts manager the melted deflectors behind the exhaust and he ordered new ones under warranty. These will go in storage once they are replaced.

TMSBOSS said:
That depends upon Which Tick you have.

Is it the belts and front cover which is covered by the TSB?

Fairly certain that it is the AC Stretchy Belt Configuration covered by the 12-8-14 TSB. Intermittent tick at idle once the engine warms. http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb12-08-14.pdf

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
kyfigfam said:
Fairly certain that it is the AC Stretchy Belt Configuration covered by the 12-8-14 TSB. Intermittent tick at idle once the engine warms. http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb12-08-14.pdf

If Ford did not tell you to park until the TSB is completed, it should be OK to,drive.

I noticed the tick after the last service at Ford. Didn't know what it was, was wondering. I hear it when on idle. This is a great site, thanks guys, will take them in...I have a 2012

What if it doesn't get worse with AC on? I've been playing with mine and it doesn't happen at idle, and it doesn't get worse with the AC on...only under load between 1k and 2k rpms. Is anyone else's like mine?

LP Heaven said:
Race - did you get anything done about it ? Personally, i can live with it but if its an exhaust leak, I can just bring it back to my speed shop where I had the install done.

tks,
Rob

I don't worry about it anymore. One thing I should mention is that it didn't do it until after my first oil change. I think the factory put some kind of additive in there to keep it quite at the dealer. It fine after warm up so I'm not concerned.

arabbit said:
What if it doesn't get worse with AC on? I've been playing with mine and it doesn't happen at idle, and it doesn't get worse with the AC on...only under load between 1k and 2k rpms. Is anyone else's like mine?

Then it might not be caused by the A/C belt. But if the build date is mentioned in the TSB that someone linked you can try and get them to do it anyways and see if it fixes it. It can't hurt if you have a dealer service center that you trust nearby. Unfortunately I don't....

TMO Supporting Vendors