The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ticking Sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So i have about 5,000 miles on my 2013 Boss 302 and yesterday i noticed something strange. When I pulled into the driveway I noticed a loud ticking sound when the A/C compressor was engaged ???. I traced it to the drivers side of the engine. I did a little research and found the topic being discussed here ( http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-2013-boss-302-mustang-373/860742-ticking-sound-2013-boss.html )

After reading through the fix seems to be the replacement of the timing chain covers to incorporate the addition of an extra idler pulley as outlined in Ford TSB 12-01-10. I have not herd the noise since the other day and I am hesitant to really do anything about it. If in fact this is my issue is it really worth having to dealership (if they even agree with me) tear into the front of the motor to replace the timing chain covers and add a pulley??

Anyone else run into this issue? Thoughts?

here is a video: http://vimeo.com/76858083

Thanks!

The tick could be normal since the internals are forged aluminum, could also be a really issue. If its a noise from internals being normal you have no issue, if its from piston slap which is fixed by the TSB then you will ruin your engine, you decide.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
They did the TSB on my '12 and it took less than a day. Probably not as invasive as you think.

If you want to confirm it's your AC, just cut the AC belt...

thanks guys for the advice, I ended up taking the AC belt off...and the noise was gone. After my self diagnosis i re installed to belt and dropped by the service department at my ford dealership. They heard the noise and told me that this was normal operation. I referred to the TSB on this and they said that the TSB is only for 2011-2012 mustangs and that the issue was fixed for 2013. Their master tech said that they have done the TSB on other mustangs with a similar sound but that was for a 2012. Anyway I have included a link to the "normal operating" tick to get yalls opinion...

http://vimeo.com/76858083

Nick

Brandon302 said:
The tick could be normal since the internals are forged aluminum, could also be a really issue. If its a noise from internals being normal you have no issue, if its from piston slap which is fixed by the TSB then you will ruin your engine, you decide.

Whats piston slap sound like ? I do have a faint ticking on my c/o 2012 but it sounds like its from the passenger side. Its not intermittent but more steady. it ticks approx. a dozen times, stops for a few seconds then again etc etc

tks
-Rob

Someone on TMS said they had something similar and it ended up being the intake solenoid, check out post #11 http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/ticking-idle-525081/

Well the dealership refuses to do the TSB as it only applies to the 2012 boss 302. They have now informed that they want to take the oil pan off my car and pull the heads to see what is going on.....I am very hesitant at this idea. I really do not want them tearing into my motor

Sucks they won't do it. I have a '13 with the old cover too and mine has ticked since day 1. I was never really worried about it and after the headers I've had the LTH tick pretty loud. I just live with it :p

It's odd how dealers are. I'm picking mine up from service tomorrow from Gary Yeoman Ford in Daytona Beach. It's a 2013 and they thanked me for providing them with the TSB number, switched out the AC idler pulls and belt, and also replaced to PCV valve as apparently it was also causing some ticking. Thy didn't say a word about the years covered on the TSB. Apparently early 2013s still had the old belt configuration. From a service writer's perspective it SHOULD be pretty easy, either you have the current version or you don't. If not you just need to find a dealer that will work with you and doesn't have their head up their butt.

Shawn

My car was made 3/5/12 , engine build date stamped 2/15/12 (right behind where the distributor would be on a old 302 in the aluminum), mine has the new cover already with the top pulley mounting and the idler holes with the 3rd one already tapped , ready to upgrade , I don't have the noise right now ,but you know how that goes!

Here is a link to a video of the tic on my car. Please let me know if you guys think its the TSB tic or not.
I hear it more from under than on top. Maybe because the way it was echoing in my garage.
Headers/cat delete/no disks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWaXeTYS9Ac&feature=c4-overview&list=UUhJM3Mmimw9Uh5On4Ii1Viw

Many Thanks !
Rob

There is a post here http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/15816-odd-noise/ and they seem to have good results getting the dealer to do the TSB on their boss. The video's on here sound so much like a piston pin wrap sound. I would not let the dealer rip apart my motor. If you can spray a small stream of water on the pulley and see if it gets quiet, then do the same thing at the dealership and show them it's the pulley and not internal. I think it will get recognized eventually and we will be able to just take it in and have it replaced without an issue.

Chris

LP Heaven said:
After 20 min. or so, my tic goes away completely.

You have the same exact tick I have. By the time I got to the dealer it was gone. I don't hear it under the hood but underneath where you recorded it above. I also noticed it when I started it in the garage and it goes away when it's warm.

racered302 said:
You have the same exact tick I have. By the time I got to the dealer it was gone. I don't hear it under the hood but underneath where you recorded it above. I also noticed it when I started it in the garage and it goes away when it's warm.

Race - did you get anything done about it ? Personally, i can live with it but if its an exhaust leak, I can just bring it back to my speed shop where I had the install done.

tks,
Rob

FWIW, I just got mine back on Saturday. With the AC pulley TSB and replaced PCV valve the car now sounds better than new. Really, most of that noise was there from the day I got it. I'd hear it in the garage or at ATMs and at the fast food drive thru. Mine also was much more noticible from the bottom and would go away after 15-20 minutes.

Shawn

TMO Supporting Vendors