The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tiger Hood incoming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been talking to Rehagen about Tiger hoods. They weren't recommending CF unless your looking for every last pound -- only saves a few pounds (1 meal!) over Fiberglass and takes a lot more prep for paint plus the $$$ difference (lots of meals :) )

Yup I spoke to Bill over there today and he told me the same thing when i placed the order as i wanted CF at 1st ;)

Hey Guys

Anyone have experience in auto paint ? I had the hood painted satin black Saturday but I met the boys over at the Ford body shop and it came out all blotchy( think bad rash), like too much reducer was used or not the right spray gun ?

Also - if you even slightly rub the clear coat - it leaves permanent scuff marks - the body guys are going to start from scratch now.

I'm thinking they didnt prep the gel coat ?

Any tips highly appreciated so I can pass along.

Thanks,
Rob

You can see where we were lightly rubing the hood - those marks are there to stay and i was like WTF ?

20131119_094438_zpse8a306db.jpg

Why would you use clear on satin black.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, you use satin black to help with glare reflecting off the hood and by spraying clear coat on saitn black you creat a smooth glass finish causing glare and taking away the saitn finish. It sounds like the clear coat is the problem in trying to achive the finish your looking for. Maybe you should use Matt Black paint instead of satin with no clear coat.
Just a thought to try and help.

boss man said:
Why would you use clear on satin black.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, you use satin black to help with glare reflecting off the hood and by spraying clear coat on saitn black you creat a smooth glass finish causing glare and taking away the saitn finish. It sounds like the clear coat is the problem in trying to achive the finish your looking for. Maybe you should use Matt Black paint instead of satin with no clear coat.
Just a thought to try and help.

Good point ! Don't know the answer but will ask the guys at the body shop today. I thought I heard them mention the flatteners were in the clear but I could be wrong. I know the finish will pick up finger prints and basically everything due to the nature just like the satin finish on some walls in my house - maybe thats why they add the clear + flattener - for protection ?

I'll let you guys know
Thanks

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Did they do Black basecoat with flattening agent in the clear or a single stage flat black that clear was sprayed over? It should be either base/clear or single stage only, clears over single stage systems that are not designed for it can cause curing issues as the single stage paints will off gas under the clear and soften and cause blotchiness in the finish. Only cure is to remove the finish and start again with a catalyzed epoxy primer/sealer such as PPG's DP series then DAU series base/clear system. They have a nice "High Performance Black" non textured low gloss black that will finish like the vinyl on the trunk lid.
Steve

Holy shiznit Steve - whos better than you !

My body shop did me a freakin solid ! We called up PPG and and had them drive over the custom shop Flatz series paint - on their dime - and they re-scuffed and shot the hood again. Its gonna bake all night and should be all buttoned up by tomorrow afternoon !

Now I have some Ferrari in the BOSS .. well, the paint anyway :)

20131121_153839_zps66f9f4fb.png

That looks so awesome!
I've been on the fence about a black hood for a stock ride height boss, but you are definitely swaying me back!
Black also hides tire gumballs better :)

More pictures requested when you get it back!

The car looks great with the Satin Hood Rob!! I'm glad they took care o you and got everything all squared away, they did an excellent job!

thanks guys - i just have to trim the bump stops about 1/8" for perfection - but i dunno - im anal but not that puckered ;)

i LOVE this finish how in different light it looks completely different. I'm waiting patiently for the new shoes to come in but when they do I might store em inside until spring... we'll see

couple more pics and hoping for the weather to warm up enough so i can wash the rest of the car :)

020_zps2e62b777.png

019_zps7ecd9660.png

018_zpscaa0a1d4.png

017_zps8c25cce3.png

016_zps8426cb1e.png

TMO Supporting Vendors