The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tiger Hood "Problem"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorry for the problems. I don't want to sound like a jerk but when you assume they would test fit it, that is not good enough, you must tell them what you want. You brought them the part and told them it was correct for your car so I do not see the dealer holding the responsibility for the work provided. Yes they should have done a test fit but then again if it was mine I would have done a test fit before bringing it in. Again don't mean to insult you in any way, just my 2 cents.

Tiger needs to replace the hood, if that includes the prep work, I can not say.

I guess it may vary from shop to shop. All I know is that when I pulled in and dropped the Boss, they had my stock hood off in probably 5 minutes and after I got done talking to the dealership GM for a few minutes they already had the Tiger Hood laid in place to see how it fit up.........

2012yellowboss, Yea i get what your saying and I dont see you as being a jerk. I did have the hood shipped directly to the shop, so I never actually had it in order to do a test fit. As soon as the hood arrived I brought them the car. I told the guy exactly how I wanted it painted and even provided him with pictures. I did not think I needed to tell him to test fit it first.. But then again this is the first hood ive ever ordered so I dont know what goes into "prep" work. thats why im paying someone else to do it.

anyway, I emailed Paul Brown and this is his reply

Crap, yes, it looks like you got a 2005-09 hood. This has never happened to us before and I'm very sorry for the mix up. Is the logo still visible on the underside of the hood, that has a part number on it that would confirm my fears, unless someone goofed that up too.

Give me a few hours to straighten this out, I've been working from the house due to medical issues. Either way I will get another hood on the way and work out the paint detail. I'm very sorry this happened and will do my best to take care of the situation.

Paul Brown
General Manager
Tiger Racing
626-967-6796
www.tiger-racing.com

So what do you guys think he means by this "Either way I will get another hood on the way and work out the paint detail" Do you think he wants to help pay the cost of the first paint job??

this is just frustrating. Tiger racing messed up and shipped the wrong part.. The body shop messed up (i feel) by not testing the fit first. I understand sh*t happens, and im very happy with Paul Browns reply. I just hope, and im about to find out, if the body shop is going to want to charge me twice for the work....

So what do you guys think he means by this "Either way I will get another hood on the way and work out the paint detail"

I obviously can't answer for him, but it sure sounds like he's going to take care of this so it doesn't cost you. My guess is he'll work it out with the shop for an acceptable resolution of the extra cost of painting two hoods. He has a very good reputation and my dealings with him have been nothing short of excellent. He really seems to take a lot of pride in his business so I'm guessing he'll make things right for you (after he lights up his shipping department ;D)

Paul Brown sounds like a stand up guy.

The body shop is going to charge you twice. once for the word done and again if you have them do the next one.

I would say based on that email Paul is looking to help you out with the cost of the original paint and prep work. Will be interesting to see how this works out. Tiger seems like they are doing the right thing now if they foot the bill for the original paint work that would be fantastic.

So far Paul's service has been great. From my first email to him before I purchased thru now. I just got off the phone with the body shop and sure enough he is not taking responsibility for not checking fit and wants to charge me twice. I am waiting back on a reply from Paul and I'm praying he will step up and help me.

I think both sides messed up, it sucks, but im ok with mistakes happening. As long as I dont end up having to pay for it. will keep everyone posted. :-\

I have not dealt with Paul but have heard, like others are saying, he is a stand up guy. Mistakes were made all around (biggest being sent the wrong part) so if he covers all or part of the prep work I would consider that lucky.

Wow what a bummer. If Tiger ships the correct hood there are no issues so its on them. They know it and are going to take care of you so other than the major hassle your fine. I'm guessing your not installing hood pins? I would think a shop would install hood pins before painting at least that's how I would do it. Good luck with the replacement.

Correction........Paul is a stand up guy. You really couldn't meet a nicer guy in the business. By the way I have heard the same things from his competitors and others in the same business. He has given me lots of sound advice. I wouldn't hesitate to do any business with him and recommend him to anyone.

I would not pay the body shop a thing. I would get your car and old hood and go somewhere else. The fact that they didn't test fit the hood bewilders me..... If they don't give you your car, and you can't afford an attorney for something like this, call the police department.

Well as you all have stated. Paul Brown is a stand up guy. He has offered to take care of the cost of the painting. This has been a frustrating experience, but I have received excellant service and assistance from Paul. I wish I could only say the same about the dealership. I am very dissapointed that they completeley distanced themselves from any of the blame and chose to take no responsibility what-so-ever

From my dealings with him I wouldn't have expected anything else. He helped me through the whole process of my hood.

reakhavok said:
Well as you all have stated. Paul Brown is a stand up guy. He has offered to take care of the cost of the painting. This has been a frustrating experience, but I have received excellant service and assistance from Paul. I wish I could only say the same about the dealership. I am very dissapointed that they completeley distanced themselves from any of the blame and chose to take no responsibility what-so-ever

That is great to know, sounds like he did right ;D I would not go back to the same place for paint again. Legally they did not nothing wrong but as others stated not doing a test fit on an aftermarket part is super hard to believe. I know I put a little on you but the fact remains this is their livelihood, not yours, and they should have known better.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
every book and every car show I have ever watched says to test fit panel before you paint....thats like basic auto body practice I would think. I hope everything works out for the best for you in the end.

AZBoss302 said:
Jeff said:
that's awful. they should have test fitted before prep and paint. I can't believe they didn't.

+1

Wow, I can't believe they did not test fit the hood.

I am with you. I have a friend in the body shop business and having been working with body shops for years. They should have test fitted period. If they give you a significant break on the price for painting the new hood fine otherwise go somewhere else.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel