The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Time for tires! Going with R88 for rear but need advice for fronts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, so I can't do the R888's for the front because my rims is only 9 inches and toyo doesn't make any other sizes for 20 inch diameter wheels. I'm going with 315/30/20 R888s in the rear as I have a 10.5 inch rim but what should I go for in the front? Can I go with Nitto Invo's? Is it a good idea to swap brands? I was also thinking of going with some toyo proxes T1 sport or the proxes 1. I won't be tracking the car at all and only going with the R888 in rear for the purpose of putting the power down as I have over 600 hp. Need some help. Thanks!

IMO run the same brand and compound on all 4 corners, the only case you would not, is if you a forced to try some demon tweeks in order to get the car to qualify. If you have to buy new front wheels to accommodate the larger tires then that's what you need to do,

blacksheep-1 said:
IMO run the same brand and compound on all 4 corners, the only case you would not, is if you a forced to try some demon tweeks in order to get the car to qualify. If you have to buy new front wheels to accommodate the larger tires then that's what you need to do,

ok thanks for the advice. not sure I want to switch out rims but it's something to think about.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
I just picked a set of these Potenza R11
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-11

But not same aspect ratio, 35 up front rather than 40.
Good ratings for a non R comp.

JScheier said:
IMHO, the R888's are going to be a disappointment in this area. Can you find a Nitto or BFG Drag-radial type tire in a 20"?

Edit - How about Dis?

Why a disappointment on R888s? I've heard nothing but positive things.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I had a set of R888's on my boss…Mixed feelings on the tire really. They aren't a great track tire for our car, but they are very popular on smaller front wheel drive cars and miatas. You have to very careful with them in the rain. Around town won't be bad but on the highway if you hit standing water hold on for the ride. I would drive to and from the track on them and they last forever, especially if you flip them. If I had to describe them I would say that they do everything well but aren't great at anything. You can drive them on the street, to and from the track, on the track, etc…but you won't win any races with them and they will pick up and throw rocks all over your car for street driving, and they aren't great in water. Not really a practical tire for daily driving. The initial grip when you get the tires will be good but they will heat cycle out fast and the grip will greatly decrease.

Flyboygsxr said:
I had a set of R888's on my boss…Mixed feelings on the tire really. They aren't a great track tire for our car, but they are very popular on smaller front wheel drive cars and miatas. You have to very careful with them in the rain. Around town won't be bad but on the highway if you hit standing water hold on for the ride. I would drive to and from the track on them and they last forever, especially if you flip them. If I had to describe them I would say that they do everything well but aren't great at anything. You can drive them on the street, to and from the track, on the track, etc…but you won't win any races with them and they will pick up and throw rocks all over your car for street driving, and they aren't great in water. Not really a practical tire for daily driving. The initial grip when you get the tires will be good but they will heat cycle out fast and the grip will greatly decrease.

This is all good info. I'm now really debating not going for the r888s on the rear, rather maybe try a Nitto and actually have the same tire on all four corners. I need something that will stick well that doesn't have a soft sidewall. What would your advice be for nittos? Also, I don't daily drive the car anymore so it won't ever be going out in the rain or snow any more.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I don't have any experience with Nittos but it seems like a popular tire for Mustangs. I would chose the Nitto over the Toyo. NT01's and NT05's I believe are the most popular for our cars. Maybe someone else will chime in to confirm that.

Adam

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
The 888's have never been well received by the track crowd. Even Toyo spec classes have moved away from them. They have less stick than an NT01, they fall-off faster than an NT01 and they are horrible in the rain (not to mention really noisy... not that the NT01s are considered quiet).

I'd pick an NT01 if you are going to run them on the street and have to have a stiff sidewall. If it were me (and I know, it isn't), I'd go with a drag radial. I've run (in the past) Nitto drag radials on all four corners of a fox-body with pretty darn good results on track and auto-x. Had to run a little higher pressures on track, but they had good stick and didn't fall of nearly as quick as I had thought they would. Of course, I wouldn't do that on an S197 as the car is significantly heavier than my fox was.

If you just need a good, soft, street tire, look at the BFG Rival, Bridgestone RE-11, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec or the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. These are all 200TW tires used in the ST classes of SCCA auto-x. Plenty of stick and fairly stiff sidewalls. Good in the rain (Rival a little less so) and excellent in the dry. Can be used for street, track or auto-x.

JScheier said:
The 888's have never been well received by the track crowd. Even Toyo spec classes have moved away from them. They have less stick than an NT01, they fall-off faster than an NT01 and they are horrible in the rain (not to mention really noisy... not that the NT01s are considered quiet).

I'd pick an NT01 if you are going to run them on the street and have to have a stiff sidewall. If it were me (and I know, it isn't), I'd go with a drag radial. I've run (in the past) Nitto drag radials on all four corners of a fox-body with pretty darn good results on track and auto-x. Had to run a little higher pressures on track, but they had good stick and didn't fall of nearly as quick as I had thought they would. Of course, I wouldn't do that on an S197 as the car is significantly heavier than my fox was.

If you just need a good, soft, street tire, look at the BFG Rival, Bridgestone RE-11, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec or the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. These are all 200TW tires used in the ST classes of SCCA auto-x. Plenty of stick and fairly stiff sidewalls. Good in the rain (Rival a little less so) and excellent in the dry. Can be used for street, track or auto-x.

thanks for this...my only concern by going with a drag radial is I've already tried this with Mickey Thompson's ET Street Radial II and I don't want a repeat nightmare. The car was uncontrollable in that it felt like the rear was steering itself and extremely loose with very sensitive steering.

Several times, the car's traction control kicked in on the highway on a slight turn and the entire car started to buck - it was scary. Some say I didn't have enough air pressure but when I asked the shop that installed them, they told me the pressure was right. It's puzzling to me because I saw a GT500 the other day with the exact same Mickey's on the rear and asked the owner if he had any problems. He told me they were awesome and he didn't have any control issues. It's still baffling to me.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
yankee
Stay away from the R888s, I didn't listen and found out they are not a great Mustang tire. There are Porsche, Miata and Corvette guys that love them, but I think the Mustang is just too heavy for them. Very temperature sensitive and inconsistent.
Steve

steveespo said:
yankee
Stay away from the R888s, I didn't listen and found out they are not a great Mustang tire. There are Porsche, Miata and Corvette guys that love them, but I think the Mustang is just too heavy for them. Very temperature sensitive and inconsistent.
Steve

Hey Steve, I've decided against the R888 and have just purchased two Nitto NT01s for the rear and two Nitto Invo for the front. I think I will really like them. I've read so much about both tires. If I were to make a decision just based on how the tires hook, I probably would have gone with the 888s. The NT01s seem to be quieter, last longer and are better or about the same in the rain (which I don't plan to take my car out in considering I have another daily driver). The NT01s also heat cycle better - doesn't matter as I'm not tracking the car but good to know otherwise. Going with 315/30/20 and 255/35/20. Thanks for everyone's advice and feedback in here. I'll let you know how they ride.

TMO Supporting Vendors