The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Time to Mod... NEED HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup!! But I would get them as you wear out your oem parts. The difference is not that critical but well worth doing if you are changing a worn out part. I have not done the K member yet but the weight savings are nice. You did have a 4000 buck starting mod budget!!

Word of warning!!! If you take out the cats you might get tossed off the track for sound. One of the ZL1's had to put cats back in to get below 97db so I have kept mine.

Jabooh1 said:
Right, so a combination of HP (headers, cat delete, CAI, TB, Tune) and weight reduction. Along with what was said above, would bar k-member, a arms, etc be worth while?

For road course use, I would stick with the OEM K-member or the Maximum Motorsports product. Loosing weight in the k-member is not worth any potential suspension deflection issues.

Headers, TB, Cobrajet intake, and CIA will yield around 500 HP at the flywheel.

I forgot to say I would go with FD Sako's safety recommendations followed by weight reduction before I worried about power mods.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
+1. Safety mods, removing stock seats front and rear and adding race seats front and rear seat delete kit with a roll bar can lower overall weight of your car.

FD and I have both added safety gear after watching guard rails come close to our cars while traveling backwards. It Happens.

This leaves a real strong impression on you and sometimes on the car. Lighter, safer then faster.

Just my $.02.

Not looking for approval at all. I do however want to get close to 500hp and since the car only sees the track a couple times a year, it is an option.

You definitely don't need a SC if this is your goal; I have American Racing Boss headers (retains side pipes) with cats intact, a good intake & cat-back system and dyno'd 447 at the wheels. I did a CF driveshaft that likely helped a little, but 500hp is not far away if you let your car breathe. The Boss is a happy car with headers.

As has been said, you'll drop some wgt. with the factory exhaust components gone, and remaining NA keeps the weight and heat down as well.

TMSBOSS said:
+1. Safety mods, removing stock seats front and rear and adding race seats front and rear seat delete kit with a roll bar can lower overall weight of your car.

FD and I have both added safety gear after watching guard rails come close to our cars while traveling backwards. It Happens.

This leaves a real strong impression on you and sometimes on the car. Lighter, safer then faster.

Just my $.02.

Mad Hatter said:
Nothing like crumpling one side of your car to make you see the world in a different light...... :'(

Yes!
A month after I got the safety gear, my number came up and I got intimate with a tire wall. After 6-7 years of tracking, I had my first accident.

F.D. Sako said:
Yes!
A month after I got the safety gear, my number came up and I got intimate with a tire wall. After 6-7 years of tracking, I had my first accident.

So if you get safety gear, you're more likely to have an accident on track? :D

I kid, I kid!

The only reasons I haven't gotten additional safety gear for my car are that, firstly, it's a daily driver, and a roll cage is really the only way to go (even a roll bar is something to avoid if your head is unprotected). And secondly, my torso is long enough that my helmet would be in constant contact with the upper side bar of the cage, which means I'd have to use a racing seat in order to gain sufficient headroom to avoid that (I had to put the glass roof headliner in my car, and extend its cutout to the sides, in order to properly fit in my car with a helmet at all, even with my Recaro seat lowered all the way).

The point at which I get that serious about safety equipment is the point I get a dedicated track car so I can do safety right.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was suprized how comfy my Corbeau race seat turned out to be. I usually just leave it in the car now. Its quite a bit lower though!

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel