The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Time to start working on the Boss, what would you do if you were starting over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right now the Boss is stock.
2012 Silver/Red 11,500 mile CPO, LS 041.
I am thinking ge the RED Watson roll bar on the group buy tomorrow.+red belts.
The carpet kit looks nice, but $$$. Anyone have feedback?
The car was missing the owners kit, trans scoop, and splitter.

The planned usage is a little less radical now.
Next year, TX 1/2 mile, unless I turbo a full mile seems like a waste.
Next year, The Big Bend Open Road Race.
This year, The Hot Rod Power Tour.
Some car shows.
Some track days and an occasional run at the drag strip when I am there with my 1/4 mile friends.

So stuff I believe i need.
A new/used set of stock wheels. Mine are perfect and P-Zeros still have tread. I was thinking of preserving these for show.
I would like a different everyday set up, square, bigger, red.

The missing parts.

SHIFTER.

Go to Vorshlag for a wheel tire package, big and square.
Upgrade the pads and fluid.

I would like it a little lower, but the base splitter was already cracked when I bought it.
The front barely clears a parking lot stop.
Which springs lower it how much?

One of the members was trying to make a new splitter that was more durable, did it work?

There are a million little things I see, like exhaust plates, pulling the spring from the clutch pedal.

Long ago I raced SCCA and think once I do a couple track days, I may need real track only car.

Any suggestions on how you would do it allover again?

Unless you're going to go crazy tracking your car I would keep the mods minimal. I'd buy the Ford Racing 302R LCA's and relocation brackets, adjustable panhard bar and Boss lowering springs and only install the rear springs. I'd not go square unless you're going crazy tracking the car. Sorry but the stock tires are worth preserving so just wear them out and install Michelin PSS or something similar. I love the red wheels on the 2012 LS so I'd continue to use them.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If the trans scoop and splitter is missing, dealer install items. Did the brake ducts make it with the cat?

Shifter AND clutch upgrade. Go with a good single docs if you will,drive in stop and go traffic

Helmet and HANS of course.

Can't go wrong with these Ford Racing parts

Springs: M-5300-P (or K)

Jounce Bumpers: M-5570-A

Adjustable Panhard Bar: M-4264-A

Rear LCA relocation brkts: M-5650-A

Rear Lower Control Arms: M-5649-R1

CC Plates

Not sure of you need different struts/shocks as the LS is supposed to have upgraded from standard Boss.

Buy a different car.

In all seriousness, I would get a fully prepped e36 m3, spec miata or for higher power z06 for what I do and knowing what I know now.

Dear Racerpilotalan

Please do not touch mutilate your car.

Stay with me...

You have a gem called low mikeage STOCK Boss 302 LS, it already performs better and faster than most of the cars at that price range.

You want to occasionally track it, it is ok, just have good pads, fresh fluids and cooling mods (which comes standard in LS)

Apex32 already gave you the whole story brilliantly!

apex32 said:
Buy a different car.

In all seriousness, I would get a fully prepped e36 m3, spec miata or for higher power z06 for what I do and knowing what I know now.

And using your own words
"Long ago I raced SCCA and think once I do a couple track days, I may need real track only car."
It just solidied what apex32 just said.

If you can financially afford to keep the Boss and get yourself a track ready or almost track prepped car (read spec miata...etc) that is the best approach, in my opinion.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes, I have to agree with the above premiss, a 2012 Boss 302 LS is a special, limited and numbered low production Mustang. Given this Silver/Red color combo, even more so.

However, there are a "few" Ford Performance parts enhancements that I would consider adding to improve the LS performance. I would consider the following:

1. FRPP One Piece Aluminum DS
2. FRPP Boss 302 Rear Control Arms
3. FRPP Rear Control Arm Relocation Brackets
4. FRPP Boss 302 Specific "T" Springs.
5. FRPP Drop-In High Flow Air Filter
6. FRPP Rear Axle Housing Vent Extension Tube ($19.)

Non-Ford upgrade parts is a very short list.

7. MGW Race Spec, (GEN II), Short Throw Shifter.
8. Watson Racing Crankcase Vent Can System, (As found in Ford Performance Cobra
Jet - Boss 302 R, and Boss 302S Race Program Vehicles)

That's it, only a few tasteful "Upgrades", that will enhance the overall performance of your 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Track Day Wheel & Tire sets, with High Temp Dot 4 Brake Fluid and Race spec Brake Pads should complete the package and will, IMO, enhance your Track Day experience.

Save all the OEM Parts, (Bag & Tag them), for when you return the LS to "As Delivered" condition. Good luck with your decision, and if you decide to do a few changes, start your own Boss 302 LS Build Thread here to document the history of your build for LS Number 041.

All the Best, and Good Racing!
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
Yes, I have to agree with the above premiss, a 2012 Boss 302 LS is a special, limited and numbered low production Mustang. Given this Silver/Red color combo, even more so.

However, there are a "few" Ford Performance parts enhancements that I would consider adding to improve the LS performance. I would consider the following:

That's it, only a few tasteful "Upgrades", that will enhance the overall performance of your 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Track Day Wheel & Tire sets, with High Temp Dot 4 Brake Fluid and Race spec Brake Pads should complete the package and will, IMO, enhance your Track Day experience.

Save all the OEM Parts, (Bag & Tag them), for when you return the LS to "As Delivered" condition. Good luck with your decision, and if you decide to do a few changes, start your own Boss 302 LS Build Thread here to document the history of your build for LS Number 041.

302 Hi Pro
Best post on TMO EVER! I'll add it's a car and don't forget to drive it.

One of my favorite adds to my car is the QTP exhaust cutout valve. Going from quiet, tame (with the wife) exhaust to wide open with a flick of a switch is great. I daily drive my car so at 5:30am when I leave the house I do the neighbors a favor and keep it closed but on the way home and on the weekends it's wide open. I'm not sure which sound I like more the roar when the gas pedal is down or the gurgle of the exhaust during deceleration.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
302 Hi Pro said:

302 Hi Pro

Most excellent. Only thing I could add would be upgrading all consumables where possible first.

I do like the auto blip...that would be nice too...if you are weak on toe heel shifting.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

302 Hi Pro said:

302 Hi Pro

thats very nearly my exact list on tap for the next year, for my "regular" boss. best of luck with whatever you decide OP!

TMO Supporting Vendors