The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Timing area weird noise: (not the tick, not a rattle)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The particles trapped on the plug magnet look basically like what I remember being on my plug the first couple oil changes once the new motor went in, so that looks normal. Had the consistency of anti-seize grease when I wiped it off on a shop towel.

No comment either way on the oil sample in the jug.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I'm 99% certain the copper bits are from the crush washer and bits of paint that flaked off from the plug versus the face of the pan (you can see all the clearcoat on the inner edge of the copper washer). I wiped off the washer when I put it back and had bits like that all over my fingers when putting it back. I concur on the anti-seize consistency, and that's what the smudge in the sample looks like.

If I can't get it figured out in the next few weeks, I may just part it out and start over. Gone through too much BS to still be fighting this.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Put it in the air today and listened from below while someone revved it. Two noises both from the front and seem related to the timing chain. There's definitely some more rapid clacking noise when revving down suggesting the timing chain has excessive slack and particularly on the passenger side. With the move I'll get the car home week of the 12th and get the front cover off and dig in deeper.

Bummer. I hope it's nothing serious.

captdistraction said:
Put it in the air today and listened from below while someone revved it. Two noises both from the front and seem related to the timing chain. There's definitely some more rapid clacking noise when revving down suggesting the timing chain has excessive slack and particularly on the passenger side. With the move I'll get the car home week of the 12th and get the front cover off and dig in deeper.

Crank gear?

I think your going to find the noise in the timing chains or phasers.
You have had just so many set backs with your car. I hope its nothing major. But from what you say and what you posted, I hope it will be somewhat of an easy fix...!
You must be very frustrated with being a fresh build.

A friend of mine has a 2014 F150 and his developed a noise around the timing chain cover and Ford told him they had a batch of timing covers machined wrong causing this noise. They replaced it under warranty.

Tim

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
To update this thread: this was all we could find: a scored oil pump. The gears appeared fine on original install, but somehow came out looking beat up. Not any signs of unusual metal in the oil filter pleats so I'm going to keep shivering and tell myself it's alright.

0aaa4088ea9185a98ffac6d66a1c0b89.jpg

3c6ce5fe9d1c7ff82b1a111187f52727.jpg

f85acfd2b7c71b46379cd35106506f9a.jpg

0bd407aa3797e7a7cae64f0ff222b20d.jpg

Not sure what to make of it, hopefully just a part slightly out of spec and not so much it was chewing on foreign material. The moan seems to be gone though now running a factory pump.

I'm usually one to give people and companies the benefit of the doubt, but MMR is really starting to scare me.

Glad you've sorted through this. Now, go RACE it!

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Berol said:
I'm usually one to give people and companies the benefit of the doubt, but MMR is really starting to scare me.

Glad you've sorted through this. Now, go RACE it!

I'm not sure anyone's given them more chances than I have. I won't comment one way or another until I'm sure that it was the issue, but so far so good. Ran for 30 minutes today on a factory oil pump and problems seemed to go away.

Typically, oil pumps only look like this if they had to chew through something, or very unlikely is that it was slightly out of round. I can't say for certain, these should have been the pump gears from my last few MMR motor builds that did go through hell, but I can't say as to whether they replaced the gearsets or not.

TMO Supporting Vendors