The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tiny bubbles in paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washed and waxed this afternoon. While waxing I noticed at least 10 or 12 tiny (pinhead sized) bubbles in the paint. :mad: Hood, quarters, roof, everywhere. I am sure that if I went back out and went over it inch by inch I would find many more. So, questions for everybody:

Is this solvent pop?
Does anybody else have this to this extent?
What would/did you do about it?
Does it seem to run in all colors or is this an issue with the GHIG tri-coat?

Thanks,

Shawn

GA
My yellow blaze is a tri-coat also and the paint job is one of the best I have ever seen on a factory car. Maybe it has to do with the metallic in the GHIG. I had a Redfilre Metallic Mustang and that had a lot of little bubbles that turned ito little chips. Maybe there was just a problem with the paint gun or mix that day and you were the lucky one. I have read a couple of other GHIG owner posts that mentioned paint problems. I would take it to the dealer to have them look at it for warranty.

There were a bunch of 12s with little black pits, but I do not have any bubbles in my PW. I did find a couple in the black wheels I think, they are really small and almost look like a bit of grit under the paint.

I'm gonna look at it deeper tomorrow but I'll probably end up living with it. I don't want to even imagine a full body repaint on a tri coat car.

I noticed a few like what you are describing on my Race Red 2013. Only 3 or so though that I can find thus far. I also noticed some "puddling of paint" on the inside of the truck lid.

But like other said, unless its something "Major" its not really worth getting fixed at this point, especially since sometime down the road you are bound to get a rock chip, or scratch that you want repaired, and its easier to get it all done at once. It could be something a body shop could just buff out (the bubbles) and blend.

I honestly never expected the Exterior Paint to get this good on a "Track Car" anyways, sure you want it pretty, but you also want it durable as well.

on my C/O 2012 i notice some very light black over spray on top of the right fender - decided to vice with it as no-one has noticed or cared enough to say hey look at that. I also have a glob on the underside of the deck.

I would definately however, take yours in and have it looked at and see what they say at least

Bay Area
I just found some on the shock tower and inner fender this Saturday on my PW. I am going to leave it for now and wait until it gets worse then have the dealer fix the problem .

We've discussed this before and my recommendation was to leave it. First no one is going to notice but you. YOU didn't even notice until you got down and waxed. Second it's a matter of time before these "bubbles" are nothing when compared to your road nicks and scratches. Are you going to repaint the front facia every time that happens? If they offered to paint the effected areas you risk matching issues. If the areas require the stripes to be redone now you risk stripe bubbles. Last, even if you did paint the car, guess what? It's very likely you're going to have imperfections in that job. So then what? To me, I found a few, it just didn't make sense. In 6 judged car shows it hasn't mattered and I have two first place awards to show for it.

JeffIsHereToo said:
We've discussed this before and my recommendation was to leave it. First no one is going to notice but you. YOU didn't even notice until you got down and waxed. Second it's a matter of time before these "bubbles" are nothing when compared to your road nicks and scratches. Are you going to repaint the front facia every time that happens? If they offered to paint the effected areas you risk matching issues. If the areas require the stripes to be redone now you risk stripe bubbles. Last, even if you did paint the car, guess what? It's very likely you're going to have imperfections in that job. So then what? To me, I found a few, it just didn't make sense. In 6 judged car shows it hasn't mattered and I have two first place awards to show for it.

Agree 100%. You were the one who talked sense into me too...lol.

I agree with all of the above. I guess what gets me is that once you start pushing $45-50 thousand, you just expect a certain level of fit and finish. I understand that blemishes wil eventually happen, but at that price, I should be the one causing them, not the factory.

Sorry to hear of the bubbles in your paint and if you think it will crack or otherwise you might reconsider getting it fixed now. My car has a small 1" run on the rear bumper and while I could have had it repainted, and suffer any inconvience or possible mismatch, I decided to roll with it. I think of it as the cars birthmark. ;)

While our cars may have cost $40-50K the Mustang is designed and built to a $25K price point. You can get that same paint job on a stripped V6 and all the cars come off of the same assembly line.

5 DOT 0 said:
Sorry to hear of the bubbles in your paint and if you think it will crack or otherwise you might reconsider getting it fixed now. My car has a small 1" run on the rear bumper and while I could have had it repainted, and suffer any inconvience or possible mismatch, I decided to roll with it. I think of it as the cars birthmark. ;)

While our cars may have cost $40-50K the Mustang is designed and built to a $25K price point. You can get that same paint job on a stripped V6 and all the cars come off of the same assembly line.

...and most of that 40-50k goes into the drive train and suspension. When you figure this car plays with cars that are 20-40k more, they had to cut corners somewhere to hit that price point. Unfortunately it came in fit and finish.

I agree with all of the above and that is what's causing me to wonder where to go with this. I know what to expect in a high end car. I also know what to expect in a budget car. A "budget" car built to compete with high end cars leaves you wondering where the line is between acceptable and not acceptable. That's why I was looking to see what, if any others paint issues are so that I could determine whether mine is outside the bell curve. I think my paint is slightly worse than most but not to the point of demanding that it be addressed. Especially when considering the complications that the tri-coat paint adds. Thanks for the help and comments.

TMO Supporting Vendors