The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Northern VA
Hi all, Ive started to daily drive my car and being in northern VA Ive been riding on pilot supersports and needless to say, theyre not meant/designed for colder temps and are basically ice skates right now. Looking to get a set of high performance a/s tires to run during the 3 seasons and dedicated summer wheels and tires. Any of you have any experience with good all season tires? Have been looking at

DWS 06+
Pilot sport 4 all season
BFG sport comp 2 a/s

Any recommendations would be great for a tire that grips/hooks reasonably well in the cold and wet with decent cornering performance.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I found that the Supersports are great when new, but after a while they got to be a real handful in the rain. How old are yours??

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Northern VA
I found that the Supersports are great when new, but after a while they got to be a real handful in the rain. How old are yours??
Too old, coming up 6 years now and they feel tired. And yea definitely. When they were new they hooked amazing and handled very well dry or wet. I could stab it in first and get full traction. Now they can barely hook in warm temps and im about a millimeter or 2 from the wear bars and its getting too sketchy in these colder temps.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since you are concerned about really cool weather you likely are best served getting a All Season Ultra Performance tire. The Michelin SuperSport 4S gets great reviews for wet and dry performance, but as you mentioned you are worried about daily driving where the weather would be cold , under 40 degrees, etc. so the Michelin Sport 4 All Season might be a good choice--- especially since you are looking at a different set for the Summer or Track time. I had a set of the BFG Comp II A/S and really liked them , but that was some years back.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Northern VA
Since you are concerned about really cool weather you likely are best served getting a All Season Ultra Performance tire. The Michelin SuperSport 4S gets great reviews for wet and dry performance, but as you mentioned you are worried about daily driving where the weather would be cold , under 40 degrees, etc. so the Michelin Sport 4 All Season might be a good choice--- especially since you are looking at a different set for the Summer or Track time. I had a set of the BFG Comp II A/S and really liked them , but that was some years back.
Thanks I thinks its best to have 2 sets of wheels and tires. Pilot 4 all seasons seem to be the ticket but the BFG prices are very tempting at $300 cheaper. I ran the sport comp 2 a/s as well in the past on a different car and I really enjoyed them and they handled very well so was curious if anyone had any input on those on a S197 chassis.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
They ( BFGs ) were great on my old Boss 302 so I would not hesitate on them. Heck, Michelin owns BFG so you are still keeping it in their family, ha!

TMO Supporting Vendors