The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Choice: NT01 vs Supercar 3 (non R)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area
I currently run the NT01s in 305/35r18 (square). They're a great tire, and they're getting faster as they wear down into a slick!

I picked up a set of 19x11's recently, and am looking for a set of 305s for these. How do the GY Supercar 3 (non R's) compare? Are they grippier than the NT01s?

I take it the SC3 most likely won't tolerate the heat quite as well as the NT01s, but if they can outpace them for the first few laps, they may make a great time trial tire for street class cars.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I believe the Supercar 3 would give a slightly faster lap time compared to the NT01, but as you mentioned it will die off sooner and maybe not quite as consistent over its life. We're not talking big margins here, maybe half a second or so on a 2 minute lap. But if you need tires and 220TW is nicer for classing than 100TW, it's worth a go.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
As someone who competes in Street Class for local time attack, the SC3 is an amazing tire. 90% of the people in my class run this tire.
I have no personal experience with the NT01 but I can say that the SC3 is damn grippy for a 220TW tire. I can also say that they do in fact drop off after a few laps. Maybe not the best for lapping days but perfect for time attack to keep you in Street Class. (Obviously depending on your specific class rules)

TMO Supporting Vendors