The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire chunking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I noticed after my last autox last year that I had some chucking on the tires (near the center of the tire). I was thinking about participating in an autox this weekend. Although the performance of the tire will be lowered, curious if it's still OK to use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What tires are you using and do you have any photos?

Using the stock Pirelli Corsa tires. I will have to review how to post some pics.

I guess it depends on how big and how deep the chunking spots are. If they are small and shallow I would think the tires would be OK for autocrossing. I would be hesitant to take them out on road course though.

The OEM Corsas on my car started chunking in a couple of spots the first time I took them out on track even with two moderate speed warm up laps, late August in Texas. The hot temps were all in spec with the owner's manual guidelines. The following March at Texas World Speedway they chunked badly about 15 minutes into a 25 minute lapping session and were junked.

Front Tires:

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

Rear Tires:

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Wow, exactly the same spots. Yeah I will have to look tonight how deep they are...I appreciate the help.

VoodooBOSS said:
Those tires are notorious for chunking like that. If yours are the original set they could get worse quick. They should be fine for AC but I wouldn't use them on a road course.

And these were supposed to be the higher performance LS only tires??? :eek: Looks like something you would get from WalMart ::)

superhero said:
I'm no expert but it looks like the tire was over inflated when hot. Am I wrong?

I would agree that intuition would say my tires look like they were over inflated. I drove the tires on track with at 40 psig, hot. So actually they were under inflated as per the target hot pressure of 41 psig recommended by Ford in Boss 302 Owners Supplement.

Yes I ran them hot at the recommended psi. But I had someone else tell me the same commwnt.

Looks like you took a picture of my front tires from last year, my back tires still looked fine, I was constantly checking tire pressures and temperatures. The tire guy thought they were just getting old.

TMO Supporting Vendors