The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire conundrum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman said:
That's where I am. Ford blue bar/ middle hole, 18mm bar rear. Car really came together once I landed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman you are running coilovers correct? What spring rate?

2012-Boss said:
Your spring rates are really soft at 200 lb/in front and 175 lb/in rear. Most of the discussion in this thread with regard to a smaller rear bar is with a much higher rear spring rate around 350.

I assume your car is a GT. If so, keep the rear OEM bar, which is 24mm. Buy a 35mm adjustable front bar and set it to full stiff if you are running a square setup and in the middle if staggered. Go to the track and run a couple of sessions. Re-adjust the front bar if you don't like the cars balance.

As mentioned before, Strano, Eibach, Steeda, and BMR all make a decent front tubular bar. I personally run the Strano bar. I believe the FRPP are rebranded Eibach bars. You want tubular vs solid. A solid bar is no stiffer than a hollow bar in a given diameter, it just weighs more.

You might consider the Maximum Motorsports springs for your car. They will work with your Koni dampers and are a fair bit stiffer than your current springs without being as low as the H&R race springs.

This seems like great place to start!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
jpt3 said:
Fabman you are running coilovers correct? What spring rate?

Yes-500/325

I'm sorry but R888s on a Mustang are best run at 0 psi hot, as in, not on your wheels. Seriously I found they performed best at 36 hot, but are never really fast. I had a set for 3 years that wore just like yours no matter where the pressure was. Do yourself a favor and try some Pirelli DH 305/660 or 680-18 take off slicks for about $150 ea shipped. Run 26 cold, 30 hot and you will see good durability (25 cycles even as scrubs) and great lap time. New R7s are also great but very pricey. The Toyos just suck. Steve

Steve,

Where do you buy tako-offs online? I have been googling this but came up short.

TMO Supporting Vendors