The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Data Chart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I'm a nerd, I like data (and Excel).
Can I get help on filling this tire chart out? I got all the prices from TireRack and filled in what I do know but I haven't tried every tire so to those of you who have experience or knowledge on longevity and pace, could you please help me fill in the chart?
For pace, I figured I'd just rank them from fastest (A7) to slowest (RR)

1672936231620.png

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
How many sessions per day? If I use 4 sessions/day, my Nankang CR1s lasted 5 days before HC out. Still had tread left. 272 track miles.

Now have tested them back to back with FP Michelin SC2's, and they are at 1-1.5sec. faster on my 125sec. test course.

In the V6L
I'm a nerd, I like data (and Excel).
Can I get help on filling this tire chart out? I got all the prices from TireRack and filled in what I do know but I haven't tried every tire so to those of you who have experience or knowledge on longevity and pace, could you please help me fill in the chart?
For pace, I figured I'd just rank them from fastest (A7) to slowest (RR)

View attachment 82488
Interesting list. I keep a tire log with every track day and heat cycle logged for distance, time, etc for every pair of tires I have. By keeping that over the last 5 years or so, I have a pretty good idea when my tires will heat cycle out, so I can get them off before they leave me with no grip.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
How many sessions per day? If I use 4 sessions/day, my Nankang CR1s lasted 5 days before HC out. Still had tread left. 272 track miles.

Now have tested them back to back with FP Michelin SC2's, and they are at 1-1.5sec. faster on my 125sec. test course.
I was also assuming 4 sessions.
Granted, there are an infinite number of variables at play here so accurate data is impossible but I think general, ballpark data is achievable.
Thanks for your input.

@JAJ are you able to supply any data for the chart above?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Dave_W, you beat me to it, but I find Grassroots Motorsports Tests ( my favorite magazine and one I recommend highly to Trackrats ) are fairly close to reality. The thing that always needs to be in the equation, in my humble opinion, is the condition and abrasiveness or the tracks one normally runs. I could probably still get one more day on my Hoosier R7s running at Heartland Motorsports Park and Motorsports Park Hastings which both have smooth, easy on tires surfaces. Ironically prior to the new paving at MPH I could go through a set of Hoosiers on a 3 day weekend, and in 2022 I got three weekends on the two courses and I still have tread and they are not heat cycled out.
Interesting thread and I look forward to reading the contributions from others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Also the chart has one very solid note for those trying to decide on 18s or 19s ------ a 315/30/19 Hoosier is essentially 400 bucks more than an 18! There are getting to be more and more 19s , but you will pay for the privilege.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Check out the chart at the bottom of this article. Not quite the metrics you're looking for (e.g., life in days) but along the same lines.
I have seen this chart. In fact, I keep a screenshot of it on my phone; very good info.
But it is missing specific pricing (which we can apply since pretty much all mustang track guys run 305 square) and the GRM chart paces seem to be slightly off due to varying vehicle weights (one tire might be faster for a lighter weight car.) Since we are all fat pig mustangs, we can get much more accurate pace data that will be applicable only to use.

In the V6L
I was also assuming 4 sessions.
Granted, there are an infinite number of variables at play here so accurate data is impossible but I think general, ballpark data is achievable.
Thanks for your input.

@JAJ are you able to supply any data for the chart above?
Maybe - I'll take a look - might be some mismatches in tire types and sizes, though.

TMO Supporting Vendors