The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire falls off cliff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fabman has echoed my R7 feelings exactly, and though the R7s do not get up to speed as fast, I usually am strong on starts with cold tires. After that old age jumps in and I get weaker, and if I didn't have to stop half way through the race to take a pee, who knows what I could accomplish? I seem to run really consistent runs with the R7s and usually I am not even a second off my fastest A7 run. I think Fab is a bit more fabulous with taking care of his tires, but during a race when everyone is tight taking care of tires is harder and I really like having the R7s grip late in the race because they just flat stay more even throughout. Won some races where the R7s ( on a hot day) were still fairly solid towards the end of a 30 or 35 minute race and the A7s seemed to be slip sliding away on competitors cars. Either way Hoosiers are great tires , will likely stay the formidable rubber carcass in SCCA, but NASA has gotten in bed with TOYO so heavily now ,that it will see many drivers switching ----- lots of Mustangs that were running in ST/TT2 will be able to make a few mods and run in ST/TT3.

That has a lot of folks considering this tire and since it is heavily used in NASA Spec Classes it does have an advantage of wearing quite well. Notice how often folks on TMO talk about tires, and that is why BS 1 and I tell folks that in almost all cases this is the first and best mod to make to go faster.

Fabman has echoed my R7 feelings exactly, and though the R7s do not get up to speed as fast, I usually am strong on starts with cold tires. After that old age jumps in and I get weaker, and if I didn't have to stop half way through the race to take a pee, who knows what I could accomplish? I seem to run really consistent runs with the R7s and usually I am not even a second off my fastest A7 run. I think Fab is a bit more fabulous with taking care of his tires, but during a race when everyone is tight taking care of tires is harder and I really like having the R7s grip late in the race because they just flat stay more even throughout. Won some races where the R7s ( on a hot day) were still fairly solid towards the end of a 30 or 35 minute race and the A7s seemed to be slip sliding away on competitors cars. Either way Hoosiers are great tires , will likely stay the formidable rubber carcass in SCCA, but NASA has gotten in bed with TOYO so heavily now ,that it will see many drivers switching ----- lots of Mustangs that were running in ST/TT2 will be able to make a few mods and run in ST/TT3.

That has a lot of folks considering this tire and since it is heavily used in NASA Spec Classes it does have an advantage of wearing quite well. Notice how often folks on TMO talk about tires, and that is why BS 1 and I tell folks that in almost all cases this is the first and best mod to make to go faster.
Yep, the right compound, the right driver, the right car at the right time of day at the right psi
just ask flyhalf

TMO Supporting Vendors