The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Why Digital, you can get a great Intercomp gauge for 65-70 bucks - check Speedway Motors Catalog. I guess I am just biased as the expensive digital ones all seem to take and licking and stop ticking. Could be me being hard on one at the track, but I like the old reliable.

Why Digital, you can get a great Intercomp gauge for 65-70 bucks - check Speedway Motors Catalog. I guess I am just biased as the expensive digital ones all seem to take and licking and stop ticking. Could be me being hard on one at the track, but I like the old reliable.

The old school ones aren't accurate enough, they need to read down to tenths, and any 2 gauges (like a backup) has to be within .2 of the main gauge, you just can't get there with the old style gauges. Also, if you drop one of the old gauges, it's a throw away, the digitals you can re zero them and they usually will be fine.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Listen to the Guru, unless you are a klutz like me. All my high end digitals get broken and my old trusty Intercomps seem to last forever. I am not good enough to measure down to the 10ths , anyway, but if I ever get BS to come up to Nebraska and be my Crew Chief for an event , you bet I will buy one for him to use, ha!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
These are the two I use. Call me old fashion but I just don't trust digital gauges. The nice thing about the second is you can inflate with it too, like when I need more air in the tire to pull the car back onto my trailer without screwing up the chin spoiler.

Longacre 52-52002
52-52002.jpg

Longacre 52-52008
52-52008.jpg

And shop around the old Interweb as I find the cost all over the place.

You can't get ANY cheaper or old school than this....$300 can go a LONG way somewhere else....... https://www.autozone.com/tire-repai...20psi-dual-head-tire-gauge/513701_0?rrec=true........alright, alright....I can hear the BOO's from here.....that thing worked for me..............

You're killing me....

I used one of those when I pumped gas in high school in the early 70s.
They were reasonably accurate for the time, but like anything else, the new ones are made in China and are really junk.

Monaca Pa
These are the 2 longacre gauges. One on the left was for my Kart tires. The right one is what I use on my car.. it’s to small. I think the digital will be more accurate.

5DE1AB3C-123F-413F-A5CE-E1A80894580E.jpeg

The problem with the mechanical gauges is that they are only accurate in one spot ( such as between 10 to 15 psi) because the coil spring inside the gauge that the air pressure pushes on is not linear. It will read correctly on the low, middle or high range, but not across the board. You can tweak them to read correctly in the area that is important to you, but they will be off elsewhere. They also have difficulty reading less that .5 psi, which sounds like no big deal, but those .5s can add up at the end of the day and you can be off easily from 1 to 3 psi.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel