The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Grip Question: Shelby vs my supercharged Boss.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm wondering if the answer to my question is simply tires. I'm running Toyo Proxes 4. I plan to get a set of Toyo R888 for the rear in hopes it will make a dramatic difference with dry grip.

I remember driving with my friend who owns a 13 Shelby. He was in second gear at around 3500 rpm and floored it. The tires stuck like glue all the way to 100 mph. This was with stock tires. My car makes about 30 hp less than a Shelby and about 180 ft lbs less torque.

If I try to floor it, in the same gear, at the same rpm, I would be spinning like crazy and the back end would go out in an instant.

If I had a set of better tires in the rear, would I be able to hook up as good as him in 2nd? You should also know that my tires in the back are 295/30/20 on a 10.5 inch rim with a 48 offset.

Also if someone could answer whether I could buy toyo r888 315/30/20 with an offset of 48 without any problems. I also have lowered the car with an eibach sportline kit.

Thanks.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
The answer lies in the gearing differences.

Gt500 2nd gear is 1.82:1 and it uses a 3.31:1 rear gear.
Boss 2nd gear is 2.43:1 and it uses a 3.73:1 rear gear.

Effective torque multiplier is 6:1 for the gt500 and 9:1 for the boss.

Good tires are your friend, but you still have to modulate your throttle or consider suspension intended for this kind of power.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
yankeehick said:
I'm wondering if the answer to my question is simply tires. I'm running Toyo Proxes 4.
Mostly tires...the Proxes 4 are an all-season tire that you're putting up against your friends stock GY F1? R888 should help you.

I also have lowered the car with an eibach sportline kit.
Did you also put on relocation brackets? Lowering without brackets will reduce your forward grip.

:)Thanks so much guys. I was already planning on getting relo brackets so I hope with the new tires that will help add to grip. I didn't even think about the gearing and that it would make so much difference. Thanks for the lesson.

pufferfish said:
The answer lies in the gearing differences.

Gt500 2nd gear is 1.82:1 and it uses a 3.31:1 rear gear.
Boss 2nd gear is 2.43:1 and it uses a 3.73:1 rear gear.

Effective torque multiplier is 6:1 for the gt500 and 9:1 for the boss.

Good tires are your friend, but you still have to modulate your throttle or consider suspension intended for this kind of power.

Excellent Response and you are dead on....

TMO Supporting Vendors