The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Opinions?: Sumitomo HTR Z III & Pirelli P-Zero Nero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
jimprw said:
What about Continental ExtremeContact DW? They are very reasonably priced and Y rated - $1058.00 for a set of 4 and very good rating by owners?

That was the other tire I would consider as opposed to the Hankook V12s. My buddy has the DWs on his Roush S3, he likes them but says the turn-in is a little soft. Nothing that should affect daily driving.
What about high speed handling and grip? On rare occasions I do open it up and while I don't do anything radical at higher speeds, I still want to be confident the tires will handle it - and me! After watching the 24 hours at Daytona in January, it is clear Conti is in the GT car and race business pretty seriously, so I was assuming their max performance tires would do the job. :)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ShaneM said:
MakeMyDay said:
Check out the Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position. Great tire at half the price of the Pirellis. Comes in stock OEM sizes too.

VA Boss

i run these on my boss and they grip much better than the factory p zeros did on the track. they are holding up well so far too after a couple track days, 5k of street driving, and an autox.

i have been saying lately had i looked around before id have bought a cheaper set of 18-inch wheels and nitto nt-01s in 18, i could have had that set up for the same price as the s-04's and ran cheap tires like the ventus v12 on the street. i just didn't want to swap wheels at the time. ive had to go to a real track pad though so im taking the front wheels off anyway. it wont take much longer to swap back wheels too.

I just rotated the P Zeros at 5K miles. I'm not planning to replace them when they wear out - too noisy and too expensive. But I, too, am on the fence as to what to replace them with. I definitely want something that is properly speed rated and will hold the road extremely well at higher speeds - the stock P Zeros are Y rated right?

do you mean on the boss? i never rotated the stock tires, but i was thinking they were directional on the rear. are they not?

Are you comparing Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position's to Pirelli PZero Corsa's ? One tire is much softer (The Corsa) than the other. I would be very surprised if the Bridgestone had better grip on the track.

boss2511 said:
according to the boss supplement book you rotate them. they arent directional from any markings I have seen on the tire
Correct - front side to side and rear side to side.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
jimprw said:
ArizonaGT said:
jimprw said:
What about Continental ExtremeContact DW? They are very reasonably priced and Y rated - $1058.00 for a set of 4 and very good rating by owners?

That was the other tire I would consider as opposed to the Hankook V12s. My buddy has the DWs on his Roush S3, he likes them but says the turn-in is a little soft. Nothing that should affect daily driving.
What about high speed handling and grip? On rare occasions I do open it up and while I don't do anything radical at higher speeds, I still want to be confident the tires will handle it - and me! After watching the 24 hours at Daytona in January, it is clear Conti is in the GT car and race business pretty seriously, so I was assuming their max performance tires would do the job. :)

Jim - I use Conti Extreme Contract DW's as my wet tire. I have used them only for two 30 minute track sessions in very cold/wet weather, but so far I'm not too impressed with them. I'd give them an 'OK' for their feel and feedback through the chassis. Their grip (for being in the rain) was fine, nothing phenominal but then again it was very cold (about 40 degrees).On the street in dry warmer weather they were fine, but they obviously don't have the grip of an R-rated tire.

Here's some test results notes from Tire Rack on some of these tires. Tested on a BMW 328i. Conti's and Bridgestones are the economy choices:

Tires tested:

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17 91Y)
What We Liked: Responsive steering and confidence-inspiring handling
What We'd Improve: A little more ultimate grip in the dry and wet
Conclusion: A capable tire that feels great from behind the wheel
Latest Test Rank: 2nd
Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested

Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17 91W)
What We Liked: Comfortable road manners
What We'd Improve: Sharpen steering response and handling precision
Conclusion: Plenty of ultimate grip with very good ride quality
Latest Test Rank: 3rd
Previous Test Rank: 1st (October '10), 3rd (June '09)

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17 94Y)
What We Liked: "Wow" handling and ultimate traction
What We'd Improve: Soften the ride just a little on big bumps to make everyday commuting more civilized
Conclusion: This is the new super star in the Max Performance Summer category
Latest Test Rank: 1st

Pirelli P Zero (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17 94Y)
What We Liked: Composed road manners and handling
What We'd Improve: Reduce tread noise somewhat
Conclusion: An older but still capable tire that can't quite match the capability of newer tires
Latest Test Rank: 4th
Previous Test Rank: 4th (June '09), 1st (August '07)

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I've used the Michelim Pilot Super Sports in the wet and dry, thay are in my mind the best non-r-comp tire out there. I would have chosen them for the Boss as my wet tire but they don't come in our sizes (at least they didn't last October)...

PeteInCT said:
I've used the Michelim Pilot Super Sports in the wet and dry, thay are in my mind the best non-r-comp tire out there. I would have chosen them for the Boss as my wet tire but they don't come in our sizes (at least they didn't last October)...
They're available in a 5mm wider and 5% lower profile which might be a good thing for the track.

jimprw said:
ArizonaGT said:
jimprw said:

The Continental tires used in Conti Challenge are actually made by Hoosier. And Pete, I don't think he was comparing the Bridgestone's to the Corsa's.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sorry guys I thought you were only talking about street driving when you mentioned the DWs. I would not recommend any tire mentioned in this thread as a track tire (with the exception of the Conti slick mentioned above).

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
ArizonaGT said:
TBH I would just stay off the track :eek:
FTW!

I ran the stock Pirelli's in the rain at my first track day with my Boss. I've never run in the rain before (and will try and not do it again) but with the TC on the Pirelli's stuck better than I expected. :eek:

The Corsa's have no channels to speak of to throw out the water. If you hit standing water you'd hydroplane better than a trout on oiled ice ! ;D I've run in the rain many times, mostly at Watkins Glen. With the right tires you can run pretty fast. The Corsa's are not meant for rain.

jimprw said:
Here's some test results notes from Tire Rack on some of these tires. Tested on a BMW 328i. Conti's and Bridgestones are the economy choices:

Tires tested:

What We'd Improve: Soften the ride just a little on big bumps to make everyday commuting more civilized

Conclusion: An older but still capable tire that can't quite match the capability of newer tires

I would always take what Tire Rack says with a grain of salt. Not tested on our car, who is the driver and what qualifications does he have in rating tires, what was the course, what were the conditions. I've known racers that run a tire that the popular opinion says sucks but these racers love them. Anyone here that says the stock Boss P-Zeros or P-Zero Corsas suck has been living in "The Fast and the Furious" world too long. Hankooks? - ricer boy tires, Toyo's? - same thing. Nitto's? - same thing, Bridgestones? - same thing. If you come from the Japanese compact or hot hatch world and your car weighs 2800 lbs with you in it, that is a whole different world. The tires can be crap and your little ricer won't know the difference. When your Boss is on the road or on the track it will weigh out at 3800 lbs + with you in it. You should notice that the stock Pirellis on our Boss' also have a XL rating. That means "extra load" which is a stronger sidewall. Imagine that 2800 lb ricer with ricer tires going fast over a bump that sends him air born and slams his chassis down hard. Now imagine you and your Boss doing the same thing except you weigh 1000+ lbs. Better have those XL rated tires. Oh wait, that might not be a cheep tire. Don't be a knuckle head and buy a tire that was great on your boy ricer.

Dave

Bad Boss 302 said:
jimprw said:

Tires tested:

I would always take what Tire Rack says with a grain of salt. Not tested on our car, who is the driver and what qualifications does he have in rating tires, what was the course, what were the conditions. I've known racers that run a tire that the popular opinion says sucks but these racers love them. Anyone here that says the stock Boss P-Zeros or P-Zero Corsas suck has been living in "The Fast and the Furious" world too long. Hankooks? - ricer boy tires, Toyo's? - same thing. Nitto's? - same thing, Bridgestones? - same thing. If you come from the Japanese compact or hot hatch world and your car weighs 2800 lbs with you in it, that is a whole different world. The tires can be crap and your little ricer won't know the difference. When your Boss is on the road or on the track it will weigh out at 3800 lbs + with you in it. You should notice that the stock Pirellis on our Boss' also have a XL rating. That means "extra load" which is a stronger sidewall. Imagine that 2800 lb ricer with ricer tires going fast over a bump that sends him air born and slams his chassis down hard. Now imagine you and your Boss doing the same thing except you weigh 1000+ lbs. Better have those XL rated tires. Oh wait, that might not be a cheep tire. Don't be a knuckle head and buy a tire that was great on your boy ricer.

Dave

What a pleasant fellow.

Tire Rack is not to be trusted with anything other than DD tires, but the Boss OEM tires are not great. Not even for an XL tire. If you are looking for cheap, then you will probably not find anything better in the OEM size. You might not even find something better for more money in the OEM size. But they still are not great as a high performance tire.

Bad Boss 302 said:

Dave
Dave you did a great job of insulting a good majority of members here with your "everything ricer" comments. From your signature it looks like you've got your Boss setup nicely. Do you have any specific recommendations for the OP for their original question or specific tire recommendations for our cars without using the word ricer? ;)

Bad Boss 302 said:
jimprw said:

Tires tested:

Dave

LOL, find me a national championship winning autocross car that has won using Pirrellis, and yes, the P Zero (not corsa) suck for a performance tire. They are decent all around tires, but from a price/performance ratio, they suck. The Nittos that you call ricer are way more popular in the domestic world than in any Japanese car community. The Hankook RS-3 is very competitive in STX class and all of the competitive tires from the various street tire classes last year were from what you would probably call ricer companies. Here is a list of what was competitive in the street tire class last year.

"The top tires from last year- Kuhmo XS, Hankook RS-3, Dunlop Star Spec, Toyo R1R, Bridgestone RE-11, and Yokohama AD08s, and all are FAST." All of these tires are made in a country that is known for consuming lots of rice, even the Dunlops.

Source (I can post more if needed)"
http://www.autocross.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=5084

Just a bit of advice, try not to be so insulting. Quite a few people on this forum know what they are talking about. But, what do I know, I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
guess I better get a Got rice sticker for my GF's 06 GT she is running hankook V12's which blow away the stock tires that came on that car which were Pirrellis. lol. for the most part I see ricers running on steel wheels and what ever was on special at the junk yard but maybe thats just my area. someone better call steeda and tell them they are putting ricer tires on their Q cars and track cars

I think I'm leaning toward a staggered set of TSW with Nitto Invos. The reviews for the Nittos have been pretty good for street. The (leans forward- whispers) 'Vette forums seem to like them. I will keep the stock Corsas for track use; though that probably won't be much for a while, until I graduate at least.

TMO Supporting Vendors