The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Opinions?: Sumitomo HTR Z III & Pirelli P-Zero Nero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z III Tire - 245/45-19
http://www.americanmuscle.com/matteblackf14-19in-0512-sumitomo-stag.html

Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Season Tire - 245/45-19
http://www.americanmuscle.com/matteblackf14-19in-0512-pirelli-stag.html

Looking at getting some Forgestar wheels in kit form to save some time if it makes sense. American Muscle offers the wheel with either of the above tires. Does anyone here have experience with either of them and care to share their opinion?

Thanks.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Those P-Zero Neros SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK, they were OEM on the 05-09 Mustang GTs, crap tire.

TBH I'd see if you can get a Hankook Ventus V12 Evo in the sizes you want.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
i never ran Neros but did run on Pzero Rossos which were stock on my Audi TTS. Terrible is an understatement. I do however like the Pirelli PZeroCorsas that are stock on the LS.

Thanks, that does help. I'll definitely steer clear of the P-Zero's. I figured that neither of these would be outstanding, but those sound bad. The HTR's review well on TireRack, but that is for many different cars, still looking for Mustang specific setups.

I just have a hard time understanding why so many Boss owners, when looking for replacement tires, run to Japanese, Korean, and Chinese tires just like the nerdy Civic Si boys do. Ford put Italian Perilis on the Boss, which is a very fine tire IMO. The P Zeros that came on my regular Boss inspire lots of confidence whether on the track, on the road or in wet conditions. The LS Boss (P Zero Corsa) has one of the best all around track tires available that you can still run on the street. Granted, the P Zero and Corsa are not hi mileage or all season street tires. The Corsas will likely only last 8000 to 12,000 miles depending on how much racing you do. The regular P Zeros on my Boss are probably a 15,000 to 25,000 mile tire, also depending on how much racing on them.

If you like to do lots of burn-outs, expect way shorter tire life, but you know that.
Tires that I would consider for replacement on my Boss would still be the Pirelli, but also Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires, BF Goodrich, Cooper, Hoosiers, MT, and maybe look at Contis, Michelins. If what you want is a long ware tire, you will be looking at all season touring tires. Touring tires are a poor choice for the track.

Guys, remember we bought our Boss's because we are one or more of the following:
We like and only buy Fords,
We like this car because it returns a lot of performance for the money,
We like Mustangs in general and this is a Mustang icon,
We try to buy American whenever we can,
We are moving up from boy cars,
We became very passionate about this car when we first say a picture of it,
and probably a hundred other reasons.

You can put anything you want on your car, I'm just here to point out American alternatives.

Be American, buy American.

Dave

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
BossJockey said:
I plan on getting these US made tires when the Pirellis wear out.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&partnum=835WR9GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Specs

I not a big fan of the Pirellis. They don't stick well if it is below 75 degrees, they're noisy, there is a delay in steering reaction, and they cost to much.
did you see these? 199 bucks is a good deal they are closeout though
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3+RunOnFlat&partnum=835YR9F1GSD3ROFV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I just rotated the P Zeros at 5K miles. I'm not planning to replace them when they wear out - too noisy and too expensive. But I, too, am on the fence as to what to replace them with. I definitely want something that is properly speed rated and will hold the road extremely well at higher speeds - the stock P Zeros are Y rated right?

Will look forward to recommendations and feedback from you all here.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Check out the Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position. Great tire at half the price of the Pirellis. Comes in stock OEM sizes too.

VA Boss

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
I am considering going to a 18" wheels the little taller sidewall should help get a longer lasting tire to hook up.
I have a set of 18x9 and 18x10 american racing black bullitt wheels that I am trying to sell....right now they have the sumitomo crap tires on them

I love Toyo RA1s, but I doubt they will ever make them in our sizes. They last a long, long time for the amount of grip they have. Every Bridgestone/Firestone I have ever driven on was horrible. Grip on any hi po tire should be more than adequate for the street but the squishy sidewalls ruin most of the tires like the KDWs and the Bridgestones. I know a few other tires but I would not recommend them for such a heavy car without trying them first. I also am one of those weirdos who likes tires that tramline just a bit, so I can feel the road. Advans I have tried did that but they also wear out really fast. I had the belts showing in like 5k miles on a set of 48s and that was on an AWD car that was only street driven (at that point) and did 15k on a set of Pole Positions with plenty of meat left and several track days.

Bad Boss 302 said:
I just have a hard time understanding why so many Boss owners, when looking for replacement tires, run to Japanese, Korean, and Chinese tires just like the nerdy Civic Si boys do. Ford put Italian Perilis on the Boss, which is a very fine tire IMO. The P Zeros that came on my regular Boss inspire lots of confidence whether on the track, on the road or in wet conditions. The LS Boss (P Zero Corsa) has one of the best all around track tires available that you can still run on the street. Granted, the P Zero and Corsa are not hi mileage or all season street tires. The Corsas will likely only last 8000 to 12,000 miles depending on how much racing you do. The regular P Zeros on my Boss are probably a 15,000 to 25,000 mile tire, also depending on how much racing on them.

If you like to do lots of burn-outs, expect way shorter tire life, but you know that.
Tires that I would consider for replacement on my Boss would still be the Pirelli, but also Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires, BF Goodrich, Cooper, Hoosiers, MT, and maybe look at Contis, Michelins. If what you want is a long ware tire, you will be looking at all season touring tires. Touring tires are a poor choice for the track.

Guys, remember we bought our Boss's because we are one or more of the following:
We like and only buy Fords,
We like this car because it returns a lot of performance for the money,
We like Mustangs in general and this is a Mustang icon,
We try to buy American whenever we can,
We are moving up from boy cars,
We became very passionate about this car when we first say a picture of it,
and probably a hundred other reasons.

You can put anything you want on your car, I'm just here to point out American alternatives.

Be American, buy American.

Dave

I buy tires based on a cost to performance ratio. IMHO the factory Perelli's aren't all that great a tire and many agree with me. I have yet to hear a single good thing about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Super cars you mentioned as far as performance driving. If you look at what is competitive in STX autocross classes, it is Dunlop (made by the sumitomo side not goodyear side of the company), Hankook (Korean), Yokohama & Toyo(Japanese). I would love to have a set of Michelin high performance tires as they give you 90% of the performance, better comfort, longer life, and quiet, but I refuse to pay $1800 for a set of them. I just ordered new rims and used race tires for less than the cost of the Michelins.

My point is, numerous SCCA Solo II street tire class national championships have been won on your so called "Nerdy Civic Si" tires. I buy based mostly on performance but cost also plays a roll in my decision.

boss2511 said:
jeepinocala said:
I am considering going to a 18" wheels the little taller sidewall should help get a longer lasting tire to hook up.
I have a set of 18x9 and 18x10 american racing black bullitt wheels that I am trying to sell....right now they have the sumitomo crap tires on them
I am not a bullitt fan just dont care for them much too bad cause those are the right sizes. I am thinking of a star type maybe black chrome or just simple black.

What about Continental ExtremeContact DW? They are very reasonably priced and Y rated - $1058.00 for a set of 4 and very good rating by owners?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
jimprw said:
What about Continental ExtremeContact DW? They are very reasonably priced and Y rated - $1058.00 for a set of 4 and very good rating by owners?

That was the other tire I would consider as opposed to the Hankook V12s. My buddy has the DWs on his Roush S3, he likes them but says the turn-in is a little soft. Nothing that should affect daily driving.

MakeMyDay said:
Check out the Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position. Great tire at half the price of the Pirellis. Comes in stock OEM sizes too.

VA Boss

i run these on my boss and they grip much better than the factory p zeros did on the track. they are holding up well so far too after a couple track days, 5k of street driving, and an autox.

i have been saying lately had i looked around before id have bought a cheaper set of 18-inch wheels and nitto nt-01s in 18, i could have had that set up for the same price as the s-04's and ran cheap tires like the ventus v12 on the street. i just didn't want to swap wheels at the time. ive had to go to a real track pad though so im taking the front wheels off anyway. it wont take much longer to swap back wheels too.

I just rotated the P Zeros at 5K miles. I'm not planning to replace them when they wear out - too noisy and too expensive. But I, too, am on the fence as to what to replace them with. I definitely want something that is properly speed rated and will hold the road extremely well at higher speeds - the stock P Zeros are Y rated right?

do you mean on the boss? i never rotated the stock tires, but i was thinking they were directional on the rear. are they not?

TMO Supporting Vendors