The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Pressure Recommendations F/R cold & hot for B302 LS Pirelli tires (track)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any recommendations for Tire Pressure F/R cold & hot for B302 LS Pirelli tires (track use) from those who have tracked their LS?
Thanks...

I asked about the regular Boss tires, and someone pointed out the Boss supplement has recommendations. Probably a good starting point, and you can fine tune from there. You probably won't be running 10/10ths for the first few sessions anyways to get used to the car, so the recommended ones will work for those reconnaissance sessions.

From the supplement:
• For track sessions, it is recommended to run 41 psi (283 kPa) hot for
the OEM tires, front and rear.
• Depending on track temperature, ambient temperature and driving
style, you may need to reduce the starting tire pressure by as
much as 4 psi (27 kPa).
• The starting pressure may be lower in the rear tires relative to the
front tires to achieve 41 psi (283 kPa) hot.
• Reset tire pressures to placard recommended pressures before
leaving the track.

CaliMR said:
I asked about the regular Boss tires, and someone pointed out the Boss supplement has recommendations. Probably a good starting point, and you can fine tune from there. You probably won't be running 10/10ths for the first few sessions anyways to get used to the car, so the recommended ones will work for those reconnaissance sessions.

From the supplement:
• For track sessions, it is recommended to run 41 psi (283 kPa) hot for
the OEM tires, front and rear.
• Depending on track temperature, ambient temperature and driving
style, you may need to reduce the starting tire pressure by as
much as 4 psi (27 kPa).
• The starting pressure may be lower in the rear tires relative to the
front tires to achieve 41 psi (283 kPa) hot.
• Reset tire pressures to placard recommended pressures before
leaving the track.

Great.
- It sounds like I need to read the Boss Lit!
Thanks for the heads up..

lbp, there is some other info in there about track setup like removing the little wings in front of the rears and pulling the rear dust shields. If you are new to tracking cars (you didn't say either way) then most of it is probably overkill as you won't be running it too hard.

CaliMR said:
lbp, there is some other info in there about track setup like removing the little wings in front of the rears and pulling the rear dust shields. If you are new to tracking cars (you didn't say either way) then most of it is probably overkill as you won't be running it too hard.

I do have a couple other cars & have been tracking for a while.
I'm setting up the Boss with Ohlins TTX 46/36 f/r & a watts link setup in the rear w/square 315, no rear sway bar & revised spring rates, dropped ball joints, bumps steered, various delrin bits & pieces, revised trailing links, etc., etc.
Concerned about g-loads & may add a 302s/r oil pan.
Did the Barton shifter a while ago & shifts are now like pulling a rifle bolt! I totally agree with other comments that a shift kit (most like MGW :D) is mandatory & gets the driver a lot closer to the car. I opted for the Barton due to a lessened shift throw & seems OK.
..Oh yeah, got that DSS alu. driveshaft on its way. (gotta use that DSS unit if the car is lowered)
For now, that's it. I'd like to get the car lowered & dialed in before adding any power.
(Will do Kooks if they get the cats sorted out.)

..Seat/Harness & cage now in planning.
Shoulda got a 302S ::) (but would have still done the suspension). ;D

By the way, I noticed one comment about running cold TP @ 35lb. ...I may be off here, but I thought the stock TP is 31lb??
Usually cold track TP's are lower than OEM, - Is there something here that I am missing?

Thanks for posting. ;)
(can't wait to get this sweetheart on the track)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Cold TP @ 35 psi assumes about a 6 degree increase at full track temp. if you go with the recommended 41 psi hot. I have yet to be on track this year (2 weeks, can wait !) but last November at VIR I was running about 42 psi hot on the stock LS Pirelli Corsa's. I probably could have backed off from that but it was the first 'big track' the car had been on and I wasn't into tweaking the pressures that weekend - she felt good so I left it.

I installed MM Camber plates last week so I'm curious how that may impact what I end up with as a hot running pressure on the fronts.

PeteInCT said:
Cold TP @ 35 psi assumes about a 6 degree increase at full track temp. if you go with the recommended 41 psi hot. I have yet to be on track this year (2 weeks, can wait !) but last November at VIR I was running about 42 psi hot on the stock LS Pirelli Corsa's. I probably could have backed off from that but it was the first 'big track' the car had been on and I wasn't into tweaking the pressures that weekend - she felt good so I left it.

I installed MM Camber plates last week so I'm curious how that may impact what I end up with as a hot running pressure on the fronts.

Thanks Pete.
Revised spring rates/slicks will definitely be a different set up, but the wheels for the 315s aren't available yet, so I'll be running stock rubber for a while.
I may leave the suspension stock until the wheels/tires gets changed out (depends on how much time I have before LR) ;D ;D ;D
By the way, how fast do the Pirellis get used up?
Any news on rear Pagids? (I'm going to try Raybestos ST43 all around).
See you soon,
Lee.

By the way, - Do you thing the Boss will pass LR sound w/baffle plates removed?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I've done 3 track day's in cool weather on the the Corsa's and I've got a lot of life still in them, however, I was no way pushing the car that hard at all (one event was my first with the LS at LRP so I babied the heck out of it ;D, next two days were at VIR where I was still getting dialed into a very different car than I had before - and still am...). I believe I've read here on the forum that you could get 6 good hard driving days out of them, not sure it that's correct. At a 60 wear rating I assume you'll get more than with Hoosiers and a hell of a lot less than the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I had on my TTS.

I have run the Boss with the plates out at LRP with no problems last season. I guess there a possibility that Scott Mayo at LRP may be a little more discerning given that it's the beginning of the season, however NASA tends to have some wild cars running that are loud. My guess is that the Boss won't be the loudest one's to be black flagged if they are of the mindset to do so. I have my plates in the toolbox if I need to slap them back on.

I'm told by Peter Sygieda from NorthStart Motorsports that the Pagid Rears are very close:

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:37 AM
To: DeSisto, Peter
Subject: RE: Pagids for Boss 302 - UPDATED INFO

Peter,

Andreas has informed me that the rear pad for your Boss 302 , will come from Troy MI factory that makes the NASCAR pads. But it will be a compound suitable for rear axle applications. It should be available in 3-4 weeks. Not sure what compound it will be, but according to Andreas it will be a perfect match for what your application calls for.

Will keep you posted as I learn more in the near future.

Hope that helps.

Peter

"Everyone behind me is an incredibly talented driver - Everyone in front of me is cheating" -Bill Haney

Peter S Sygieda
Sales Manager
Northstar Motorsports Inc.
28144 West industrial Ave
Suite 108
Barrington, IL 60010
800-356-2080
847-304-5615 fax
www.northstarmotorsports.com

PeteInCT said:
I've done 3 track day's in cool weather on the the Corsa's and I've got a lot of life still in them, however, I was no way pushing the car that hard at all (one event was my first with the LS at LRP so I babied the heck out of it ;D, next two days were at VIR where I was still getting dialed into a very different car than I had before - and still am...). I believe I've read here on the forum that you could get 6 good hard driving days out of them, not sure it that's correct. At a 60 wear rating I assume you'll get more than with Hoosiers and a hell of a lot less than the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I had on my TTS.

I have run the Boss with the plates out at LRP with no problems last season. I guess there a possibility that Scott Mayo at LRP may be a little more discerning given that it's the beginning of the season, however NASA tends to have some wild cars running that are loud. My guess is that the Boss won't be the loudest one's to be black flagged if they are of the mindset to do so. I have my plates in the toolbox if I need to slap them back on.

I'm told by Peter Sygieda from NorthStart Motorsports that the Pagid Rears are very close:

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:37 AM
To: DeSisto, Peter
Subject: RE: Pagids for Boss 302 - UPDATED INFO

Peter,

Andreas has informed me that the rear pad for your Boss 302 , will come from Troy MI factory that makes the NASCAR pads. But it will be a compound suitable for rear axle applications. It should be available in 3-4 weeks. Not sure what compound it will be, but according to Andreas it will be a perfect match for what your application calls for.

Will keep you posted as I learn more in the near future.

Hope that helps.

Peter

"Everyone behind me is an incredibly talented driver - Everyone in front of me is cheating" -Bill Haney

Peter S Sygieda
Sales Manager
Northstar Motorsports Inc.
28144 West industrial Ave
Suite 108
Barrington, IL 60010
800-356-2080
847-304-5615 fax
www.northstarmotorsports.com

Pete, Do you buy track insurance, like from these guys:
www.OnTrackinsurance.com
I think I will, although my plan is to ramp into the car, as you describe.
Thanks for the Pagid update.

TMO Supporting Vendors