The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire question - help needed - thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes, I just bought these rims so I can get larger tires on the boss LS. :) (Vorshlag 18" x 11" CF5 lightweight wheels with custom Mustang offsets and can fit 305 and 315 sizes.)

If I stick with the stock suspension (and no CC Plates) can I be balanced and run with a square set up?
Or do I need to stagger the tire sizes such as a 295 in the front and 315 in the rear?
Also does the sidewall size matter from a 30 or 35?

Looking at tires and trying to decide what to do?

I appreciate all the help from everyone's experience - Thanks!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
1. What is the car primarily used for (DD, trackcar, a little of both)?

2. What are you trying to accomplish?

Knowing the answer to this will help us to better recommend a tire / suspension setup.

Adam

Primarily autocross, track and spirited occasional weekend driving.

Looking for a bit better grip and faster times at autocross and track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you leave the suspension stock go staggered. You'll need camber plates and possibly offset front struts to fit 315's up front. How much track experience do you have? Since you'll be using street legal tires look at Nitto NT01's in 275 F and 305 R or 305 square or BFG Rival's in 295 square. To run square a softer rear sway bar will balance the car out but I forget which size most use. The NT01's are R comp tires and I don't recommend driving them in the rain. You've been warned. :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I think the decision to go staggered not only depends on the cars suspension but also on your driving style and abilities. I prefer oversteer to understeer. I hate not being able to turn the car into a corner and on the stock suspension on NT01 275F / 305R the car understeered way to much for my liking.

I wouldn't go that small (275) up front if you put 305's in the back. Our cars understeer from the factory and those big 305's will expose that trait and magnify it...remember it's not black and white and some will disagree with me. Like Rick said though, I think a 295 / 315 would be a good fit as long as everything tucks up under the car. I don't have any experience with CF5's.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel