The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire question please - mixing brands with same tread wear and similar tread pattern front and back?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitt Race has an old section and a new section that was added that make the full course. There is a place between turn 1 and 2 which is part of the original track ( turn 2N ) that has tad of original track that allows you to go a bit more outside to help blend 1 and 2. There is also an inside curb for the original track that is earlier in that section that you should not be on. Well, I was too deep got on it and bent a wheel ( obviously the rt wheel in the photo ). The weird this is -- it was a little bumpy, didn't throw me around, did not feel like I nailed something, drove right through and no obvious tire damage. I've nailed a pothole over the years - this was nothing like that.

I obviously need a new wheel so will be reaching out to Apex. I have RE71R's with 1/2 tread, one that I will not run because of the bent wheel (there is no visible damage but I do not want to take that chance) so 3 good ones with a date stamp Oct 2019 so have another year. RE's in 305 are non existent. I have a set of Cup 2 takeoffs that are basically new ( something like 50 miles on them) dated March 2020.

Here's my dilemma - what would you do or do I really only have 1 option?

1. Can I run something similar to RE's like Falken 660's as long as I run the same in the front an back? But what do I do after the 1/2 life RE's are shot and the 2 660's still have maybe 1/2 life?
2. I have a set of take off Cup 2s basically new dated March 2020. Put them on after I get a wheel and try get a couple buck out of the remaining 3 or 2 RE's to someone for immediate back ups or use. Maybe someone has a bad alignment and ate 2 fronts or someone is in the same predicament as me.
Either way I'm stuck -- spending for 2 660's or loosing the remaining of the RE's. Just looking for the best option.

I know i should have a full backup set of wheels and tires at this time but don't have the extra fundage right now.

Thanks!
1653840430528.jpeg
Bent Wheel 1.JPG

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I know plenty of us on here will tell you to never mix tires even in the same brand, let alone mixing brands. There will be arguments from some who mix tires in autocrosses for a few brands ( seems sometimes with Porsches ), yet without going through the entire list of issues or problems , just get 4 new tires, and skip worrying about the addition of two off brand replacements --- heck, you sure can't rotate to extend life.

Full set of Falkens or maybe the new Continental Force, the cost is higher now for a full set, but it does not benefit you having two new and two old even with the same brand. I have seen so many issues with two brands of tires over the years and listing the wrecks, scary times in rain, car tracking odd, brake lock ups , etc. would take up way too much space, just bite the bullet and it will reward you down the road.

Thanks Bill. Was in denial and had to here it from someone else. The cup 2s go on as soon as I get a wheel. When the tires go on I will be scheduling an alignment for a check and balance. I was under the car checking everything on that corner - seems ok and drives true on the street setup but even a good visual inspection may not show other things that might be going on.

Unfortunately mixing brands, compounds is generally a bad idea. The wheel can probably be repaired, I've straightened a few with a hammer and pre cut blocks of wood. If the damage is in the barrel ( or center) of the wheel the tire will probably be ok if it doesn't show any physical damage. I just went through this on one of the Gt4 cars.

Unfortunately mixing brands, compounds is generally a bad idea. The wheel can probably be repaired, I've straightened a few with a hammer and pre cut blocks of wood. If the damage is in the barrel ( or center) of the wheel the tire will probably be ok if it doesn't show any physical damage. I just went through this on one of the Gt4 cars.
Definitely will be no tire mixing Ya it's the barrel. I did measurements on the inner circumference in a few places and along with the bend I think the wheel is compressed about an 1/8 " out of round. If I place the wheel with tire still mounted on a flat surface it doesn't sit true and slightly rocks. I'm just going to replace.

TMO Supporting Vendors