The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My current set up is 275/35R19 (f) and 305/30R19 (r) Michelin PS4S tires on appropriate sized wheels. I don't have the money for an additional set of track wheels but I do have my original Boss wheels.

Would a set of RS4 or similar 200TW tires in 255/40R19 (f) and 285/35R19 (r) perform better than what I currently have???

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
When I started tracking my 2012 Boss I ran 275/35-19 square on the OEM wheels (19x9F and 19x9.5R). Ran like that for several years and the car did well in time trails. Was great to be able to rotate the tires to make them last longer. But running symmetric tires like the Dunlop Direzza etc.

I see you are trying to save cash buy using the OEM wills with narrower tires. Dropping down on width even with 200TW may not be beneficial since you have already run 275 F and 305 R. You are already used to the wider setup and might kick yourself. I think dropping smaller up front is really going to increase understeer even with a simialar size in the rear. Our S197s are heavy....

Short term suck up the cost for a new set on what you are running.

Long term save and grab another pair of forgestar f14 in 19x11 55ET and 2 PS4s s for the front since you already have the rears in 19 x 11. That would require 25 mm spacers up front and extended studs along with camber plates though. If you are thinking wider up (11") front for a square setup just remember that there will be extra costs with spacers, camber plates and extended studs - Ford racing hubs are the easiest way to go. Or 18 x 11 square setup - still need all of the extras.

I did not want to be wear you are at right now so went with a square setup from the get go. It stung really bad in the pocket book but it's done. I messed up with 19x11 and still got hit in the head after and went with 18x11's as a second set so I could find cheaper tires with more options.

Just my 2 cents...

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This debate goes on and on with every Forum and the simple answer that is virtually never wrong is, " Get the biggest tire combination you can, with the stickiest rubber your event demands, and then do all your other mods!" The single best option to go faster is tires, not new headers, not a revised suspension , not a revamped brake system, etc. but tires. Blacksheep and I throw this out often and both of us as Old Farts realize few will actually pay attention, but we are foolish enough to keep tossing it out since it is really the secret weapon.
Case in point, I recently got back from announcing the Viper Racing League Races at the Indianapolis Speedway, and the only hard thing for me during the weekend ( they were a support race for the SRO World Challenge 8 hour Premier Event ) was not being able to race myself. To add insult to injury the young man whom I sold my 2008 Venom Red " Hardcore " ACR was there wheeling my old V10 Mistress and doing extremely well. In fact he decided to really splurge and buy a brand new set ( not used ) Pirelli slicks and he was astounded at the difference. With folks wheeling Gen 5 ACR-Es, ACR-Xs, Comp Coupes, in the Time Trials he not only won his Class , he was second to Bob Woodhouse in his World Challenge Comp Coupe. Granted he was over 3 seconds slower but he beat everyone else in a street legal, air conditioned , older Viper. His whole take was that the tires not only made a huge difference he was confident he never really found the absolute edge -- he had driven on used slicks in the past.

Sure other things need to be done for optimum performance , but tires are your first and most dramatic upgrade. Keep this in mind regardless if you are doing HPDEs, Time Trials or W2W. Sure you will want different tires for each situation in all likelihood , but tires should be your first priority.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Would totally agree from a numbers point of view. The only caveat is that if you start learning to track your car on less then ideal rubber, you will probably be a better driver later when you go as big as will fit on the car..
Agreed. It can be easier to learn the car's personality and grip limits (not to mention your own abilities to keep control at those limits) with less grippy rubber. Going straight for the best grip tire option without learning the car first can come back to bite you. It sounds like the original poster has gone through that process though.

CA
Would totally agree from a numbers point of view. The only caveat is that if you start learning to track your car on less then ideal rubber, you will probably be a better driver later when you go as big as will fit on the car..
This is exactly what happened with me, I tracked my car for 20+ events on stock wheels and 255width tires, it was incredible for learning the limits of the car, learning how to drive HPDE all the while being infinetley cheaper on consumables.

I'll also throw in that if you throw massive amounts of grip on a car with stock suspension, it's not going to be very fun to drive since your springs + dampers won't be able to cope with the extra grip. There is a reason OEM's chose the tire before developing the suspension for a car.

These recent posts about lower traction tires make me laugh - a few years ago I took my new to me 2011 GT to our local track. First time with a Mustang, first time on track, 100 percent stock, the track was Palmer in MA which is spectacular but has tons of elevation, cliffs, and really short run-offs, my car had used bargain-brand 235 width General all-seasons on it that were supposedly a few years old, and it was a TNIA event with no in-car instruction. Then it started pouring. Why not. 2 minutes-ish is respectable at Palmer and I was probably putting down 2.40 laps although I certainly wasn't timing. Scary as hell, I almost quit and sold the car (well not really) but here I am and now I'm on various 305 square cheater tires which I lug to the track on a Tractor Supply trailer and loving every second of it lol. The car, me, and my tires have all gotten a little better and I've made a bunch of great friends along the way. This website has been my bible.

Thanks for indulging my rambling off-topic post!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No issue stevBd, this Forum is so well received because so many members are very passionate. It helps many who started autocrossing or tracking many years ago to remember and in some cases relive their exciting beginning pounding the asphalt. All these little tidbits folks drop into the Forum may reinforce some individuals who had similar issues on track and often it is a reminder to others about how far they have come. Some of us seem repetitious because we have made a bucket full of mistakes and we hope we can help some others ( new to this sport ) from making some of those boo-boos! We know most will still have issues, concerns, etc. but Blacksheep 1 and I are 2 of the Old Farts who continue to stress that tires are the " First Mod." There is a full Menu of great tires out there and you have solid group of folks here that not only can give you great advice, but more important, up to date advice. The changes with 200 Treadwear Tires happens so quickly in today's World that getting current thoughts from folks like Sam Strano, DaveW, Dave_W and others will help you make decisions. Also, remember the TMO link to TireRack and keep in mind Luke Pavlov, ext. 4362 , has been helping fellow autocrossers and trackrats for over 23+ years.

yeah maybe for 1 lap until the ps4s turn into jello.. LOL
Good point, I don't know about the ps4 turning to jello but everything I've heard is that the RS4 stands up to heat very well and probably better than the Michelins? (I haven't driven on the RS4.) Sorry if I was misleading.

Good point, I don't know about the ps4 turning to jello but everything I've heard is that the RS4 stands up to heat very well and probably better than the Michelins? (I haven't driven on the RS4.) Sorry if I was misleading.
Its just they two tires handle heat different. RS4 is a good track tire just not fast. PS4s is a street tire that can tolerate some track. It is pretty good at 8/10 but once you start to push it is not a good tire IMO. If you over drive , you will destroy the tire with ease

TMO Supporting Vendors