The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire/rim storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
Not technically a Boss topic, but curious how others store their second set of tires and rims when not in use. I have the blessing of a twelve foot garage ceiling, so high on the wall seems like a logical place. Just not sure how to secure them up there.

I usually try to wash them, place them in tire totes, and store them in the basement.
This season, I got a little lazy and the weather got cold quick, so the wheels and tires are sitting outside in the backyard, unprotected lol

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I double bag them and keep them in a spare office. I'd had 2 sets of stickers stored like this for two years which is the longest I ever have so I called the Trackday tire guy and he said not a problem as long as they don't dip into the 30*F neighborhood so I think we're fine. He said look at the date code, sometimes tires sit in a warehouse (un bagged) for 2 years before they trickle down to the end user and we think they are all fresh cause they're new. lol. I guess we're gonna find out here pretty quick.A301B962-B5CF-4E9B-9C49-0C49D73F8018.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
For those in the cold climes , best to take down to the basement if you have one , as not the best to keep them in a cold garage all Winter. Some feel it is good to wrap in bags or tire totes , but tire warehouses keep the tires at a normal temp for the best storage.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
They have a velcro system and they fit nice and tight. The best part is for the guys who drive to the track, and have a second set, using these tire wraps means you can put 3 in the back seat and one in the trunk. Rubber wraps often come in handy in life.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
They do have felt inserts (sold separately) to fit inside to cover up the rims. This helps keep dirt and crap out. The wraps also have a sleeve with a label for tire info. And Bill's right, to say I'm a bit on the anal side is a great understatement.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yep, the rim is part of the wheel, kind of hard to store the wheel without storing the rim
Thought it was all the same thing....unless its a 3 piece wheel.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Webster's Dictionary: rim......the outer edge of the wheel on which the tire is mounted. Blacksheep 1 is not just a " Guru of the Tyre," he is also a wordsmith helping us all use the English language correctly. Basically he is drum rolling grammar on all of us, essentially he just nailed a tympanic rimshot!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Webster's Dictionary: rim......the outer edge of the wheel on which the tire is mounted. Blacksheep 1 is not just a " Guru of the Tyre," he is also a wordsmith helping us all use the English language correctly. Basically he is drum rolling grammar on all of us, essentially he just nailed a tympanic rimshot!!
My point was that if its a one piece wheel it all one part...nevermind.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heh, Fab, we all understand , Blacksheep has been having fun with the rim to wheel nomenclature for a week now , so thought I would jump in to illustrate where he was going with his humor.

TMO Supporting Vendors