The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire, rotor and caliper temps - sample from some hot laps at NJMP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I thought I'd share some temps taken on my LS in the hot pits at NJMP yesterday. Track temperature was about 90 degrees and humid. Track was very fast, car was pushed hard for about 8 laps before the temps were taken.

Front Left Caliper: 260 F Front Right Caliper: 260 F
Front Left Rotor: 510 F Front Right Rotor: 556 F
(You can see the positive effects of the brake cooling ducts, front rotors are no hotter than the rears and the calipers are cooler)

Rear Left Caliper: 345 F Rear Right Caliper: 356 F
Rear Left Rotor: 461 F Rear Right Rotor: 550 F
(I think the 461 F reading was an error by the tech, it was probably 561 F)

Left Front Tire - Hot @ 40 PSI
Outside: 158F Middle: 152F Inside: 154F
(could have used maybe 1/4 to 1/2 psi)

Right Front Tire - Hot @ 40 PSI
Outside: 137F Middle: 141F Inside: 156F
(could have used 1 to 1.5 psi, I added it after this run)

Left Rear Tire - Hot @ 38 PSI
Outside: 172F Middle: 161F Inside: 163F
(could have used maybe 1/2 psi - you can see the effects of a lot of car rotating here, mostly in righthanders)

Right Rear Tire - Hot @ 38 PSI
Outside: 144F Middle: 141F Inside: 154F
(could have used .5 psi)

Do you have the rear backing plates in still?

I saw in the TT rules that they allow a mister in the brake ducts, I have never seen that before. But maybe it would be useful for people having issues with brake temps. At THill, I didn't bring my pyrometer, but my stock pads without ducts were on fire and smoking if I came off without 2 full cool down laps.

I have a pyrometer (non-contact) and I get front rotor reading in the paddock (not hot pits) of 720-750, highest I have seen was 780. I have had the outside of the caliper (by the writing) come in at 450 but normally a little lower. I did get some fade this last weekend on a set of PFC01's but I had wore them way down very fast and did not know. Going to try out some 08's soon.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
orng302 said:
Pete, good info here. How were the temps and pressures after you made the adjustments?

Didn't get a chance to do a re-read with the pyro. DE Instructors were acting as techs and they needed to get some track time too :eek:

PeteInCT

Connecticut
CaliMR said:
Do you have the rear backing plates in still?

I saw in the TT rules that they allow a mister in the brake ducts, I have never seen that before. But maybe it would be useful for people having issues with brake temps. At THill, I didn't bring my pyrometer, but my stock pads without ducts were on fire and smoking if I came off without 2 full cool down laps.

If you mean in the rears then yes, they are still in. The ducts seem to make a huge difference in temps. That and the choice of pads...

PeteInCT

Connecticut
2012YellowBoss said:
I have a pyrometer (non-contact) and I get front rotor reading in the paddock (not hot pits) of 720-750, highest I have seen was 780. I have had the outside of the caliper (by the writing) come in at 450 but normally a little lower. I did get some fade this last weekend on a set of PFC01's but I had wore them way down very fast and did not know. Going to try out some 08's soon.

Do you have brake cooling ducts ?

Problem with taking brake temps in the paddock is they cool off a LOT by the time you get parked and take the temps. Still useful but you are not getting a peak reading. I put temperature indicating paint on my calipers and rotors and I'll see how it works at the Glen. There are 3 paint stripes for 750, 1000 and 1250 degrees. When it hits the target temperature that stripe changes color. I better not see ANY color changes on the calipers! Rotors at 1000 or more is OK for peak temps.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
ChuckP said:
Problem with taking brake temps in the paddock is they cool off a LOT by the time you get parked and take the temps. Still useful but you are not getting a peak reading. I put temperature indicating paint on my calipers and rotors and I'll see how it works at the Glen. There are 3 paint stripes for 750, 1000 and 1250 degrees. When it hits the target temperature that stripe changes color. I better not see ANY color changes on the calipers! Rotors at 1000 or more is OK for peak temps.

Chuck - I have a Pryo with me. Since a lot of us are in different groups we can take some hot reads for each other at WG if needed.

ChuckP said:

Agreed but I have not had the opportunity to have someone do a quick temp check in the hot pits - and do that on a non cool down lap.

PeteInCT said:
Do you have brake cooling ducts ?

Yep, I have the full setup. I have been fighting increasingly heating brakes lately. Had some fade on a set of PFC01's last weekend, did not know why until I yanked a wheel and saw the fronts were well worn down. Guess the brake heat shields worked since I did not lose them completely.

2012YellowBoss said:
Yep, I have the full setup. I have been fighting increasingly heating brakes lately. Had some fade on a set of PFC01's last weekend, did not know why until I yanked a wheel and saw the fronts were well worn down. Guess the brake heat shields worked since I did not lose them completely.
How many days or sessions did you get out of them?

5 DOT 0 said:
How many days or sessions did you get out of them?

Not exactly sure but I am going to say 3 days for now. I have been waiting on the 08's to come out, found out the only ran off one batch of them so far that fits our fronts. Call PFC and found who had them so I order a set and they just arrived. I will post up about them when I get the chance to use them.

TMO Supporting Vendors