The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Size for New GT500 Style Wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am going to place these on the Boss and I want to put all season tires on. Any suggestions on the tire size I should go with? I will have them all the same size front and back. I have seen many owners switch to 18 but they also have different size tires. I do not track the car and just use for regular driving.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M1007DC1895/2005-11-Mustang-Ford-Racing-2010-GT500-Wheel

Is this switch for winter driving or year round?

I am getting a free set of the wheels that I showed a pic of. My friend is going through a divorce and had these stored. Said they were mine if I wanted them. So I thought I would throw some all season tires on them.

knappj69 said:
I am getting a free set of the wheels that I showed a pic of. My friend is going through a divorce and had these stored. Said they were mine if I wanted them. So I thought I would throw some all season tires on them.
I run these on my GT500 on the street in a 285/35/18 and 265/35/18 but you could probably run 285s all around. It's a summer tire though so if year round means temps consistently below 40 you might want to opt for a different compound. I really like these on the street and they wear way better than the Pirellis.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Sport&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=835YR8ADSXL&tab=Specs

NFSBOSS said:
Stick with your stock wheels and sell the wheels you're getting for free. Use the money for new tires. ;) Unless you slam your car you'll have a larger wheel/fender gap and IMO it won't look good.

Understand what you are saying but what size would be recommended for a 18 all season?

knappj69 said:
Understand what you are saying but what size would be recommended for a 18 all season?
I've only looked at 18" track oriented tires for my staggered setup. I'm in CA so summer tires work year around (except the past week) and I haven't a clue what would work on our Bosses. I've read the Continental tires work well but I have no experience with them. Hopefully someone else will come along with a suggestion.

Tulsa, OK
knappj69 said:
Does anyone see a problem with putting all season 275/40/18 all around? I know it won't rub but will there be issues with the ABS that anyone is aware of?

I just put a set of 18x10 wheels with 275/40/18 all around on my GT. No problems so far...

I like that look and like being able to rotate all 4 wheels/tires.

Does anyone know if that wheel tire combo will fit in the spare well diameter-wise? I can live with it sticking up a bit.

TMO Supporting Vendors