The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Sizes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui
Hey guys,

Just wondering about tires sizes for the boss... I was thinking of getting a staggered set of rims and tires from American Muscle.. I was looking at their black AMR rims 18x9 in the front and 18x 10s in the rear. I was originally going to get the nitto NT 555's,
255/ 45/18 for the front and 285/40/18 for the rear... Then I thought maybe I'd try the Nitto NT-555R (drag radial) for the rear 305/40/18...as sorta a weekend driver tire. I don't drive my boss on a daily basis, usually every weekend or every other so I thought I'd put something on that would hook up well on the street and occasionally at the drag strip....
What do you think? Would a 255/45/18 front and 305/40/18 in the rear work out all right without any issues clearing the brakes or rubbing anywhere? Any other suggestions? I also have the p-springs installed so I'm slightly lower....
Thanks...

I'd try and keep the stagger closer to stock if possible. The stock suspension is setup for a 1.0-1.5" stagger. I don't know anything about the drag radials but I'm sure someone else will come along with suggestions.

Maui
NFSBOSS said:
I'd try and keep the stagger closer to stock if possible. The stock suspension is setup for a 1.0-1.5" stagger. I don't know anything about the drag radials but I'm sure someone else will come along with suggestions.

That makes sense Rick. Thanks... I did hear though that the nitto 555r (Drag Radial) tires actually run narrow (ie the 305 might be 295 in another brand), so the stagger might not stray too far from 1.5"s... not sure if that's true though..

TMO Supporting Vendors