The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Temp Prototype - with a little luck a product soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Here's a very early view of a Tire Temperature device that we have been working on recently (well, actually many months ::) ). This solution, when completed, will allow you to take accurate tire temp readings at the track very quickly and have all the data logged on an iPhone, iPad or more recent Android phones, as well as support related calculations (temp differences, etc) that will be stored and retrievable any time. Some of the system attributes are:

• Portable - runs off a 9v battery
  • VERY accurate - to 0.1 degrees centigrade
  • Interfaces to your smartphone/tablet using the new LE Bluetooth technology - low power consumption and VERY fast bluetooth connection time (less than 1 second)
  • Uses infrared technology that can 'see' the heat in the tire carcass
  • Has a laser LED 'pointer' for quick, accurate aiming of the IR temp sensor device on your tire
  • logging feature allows you to take 12 tire temp readings very quickly, and analyze the data afterwards
  • number of readings are only limited by your handheld device memory (each reading session uses very little storage)

There is still a fair amount of work on the IPhone/IPad side to create a user friendly interface, but the basics of the system including all of the microcontroller coding that supports all temp/humidity sensors and the bluetooth communications is pretty much completed. My goal is to have the whole system commercially available by the springtime.

Alpha Version 1.0 Prototype Circuitry
prototype_zpse54e78dd.png

Infrared Temp Sensor and Laser LED
sensor_and_laserLED_zps1bec6380.png

IPad display of 12 IR temp samples + ambient temp and humidity readings
temp_samples_zpsf2841360.png

IPad display of inside/middle/outside readings for each tire and the temp difference calculations
Calulations_zps0d4b073c.png

Enclosure for Beta Prototype
enclosure_zps347d8899.png

Very cool and good luck with your product.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
F.D. Sako said:
Is there a suitcase full of electronics associated with that hand held? :p like the early cell phones ;D

Not at all. The prototype boards make changing the circuitry easy and flexible but they do take up space. What is quite complex is the software behind all this, but those are just bytes of data in flash memory ;D

Will one of the features be to dump out a file that can be imported into a fancy racing data logger? That way one could track temps over the course of the track. Certainly not important at my level, but could be very useful for some.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
WinterSucks said:
Will one of the features be to dump out a file that can be imported into a fancy racing data logger? That way one could track temps over the course of the track. Certainly not important at my level, but could be very useful for some.

this is not a real time on track temperature login system, it's meant to be used in the hot picture in the paddock. However, what you're implying is actually also in the works but is much farther off from an availability standpoint. The major issue is the sensors are very sensitive and installing them in the wheel wells of a race car poses technical challenges that still need to be overcome.

PeteInCT said:
this is not a real time on track temperature login system, it's meant to be used in the hot picture in the paddock. However, what you're implying is actually also in the works but is much farther off from an availability standpoint. The major issue is the sensors are very sensitive and installing them in the wheel wells of a race car poses technical challenges that still need to be overcome.

You definitely don't need something as powerful right now, but I have switched from using PICs (and recently an Arduino because I got lazy ::) ) to the STM32 ARMs.

Built-in USB and CAN, 24-bit A/D, 32-bit ARM processor, etc.. It's like Christmas in a little tiny box!

PeteInCT

Connecticut
WinterSucks said:
You definitely don't need something as powerful right now, but I have switched from using PICs (and recently an Arduino because I got lazy ::) ) to the STM32 ARMs.

Built-in USB and CAN, 24-bit A/D, 32-bit ARM processor, etc.. It's like Christmas in a little tiny box!

we should trade notes sometime. :D the Arduino base for this system has enough I / O memory and clock speed.my other designs utilize a mega 256. I also have a galileo board coming in.

if you know someone who can program well under iOS let me know.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Beta prototype finally completed. Without a custom circuit board it wasn't easy fitting it all into a case even this size, which is at least twice a large as it needs to be and it's more delicate than the final version would. But it's working perfectly!

I'll be testing it at Limerock Park on 10/24 and 10/25.

IMG_20141003_133839_zps35434e2b.jpg

-Pete

PeteInCT said:
Beta prototype finally completed. Without a custom circuit board it wasn't easy fitting it all into a case even this size, which is at least twice a large as it needs to be and it's more delicate than the final version would. But it's working perfectly!

I'll be testing it at Limerock Park on 10/24 and 10/25.

IMG_20141003_133839_zps35434e2b.jpg

Looking good Pete. Let us know how the testing goes.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel