The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire Wear at the Track ... Please Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuntman said:
Tire wear is normal, you need more camber (invest in camber plates). -2* to -2.5* with zero front toe will give you the track performance without increased tire wear for street use. I'd recommend around 38-42psi HOT depending on your camber and tire selection.

This

My plates are on the way. I think I'll start at -1.2 and see how that works for track and street.

I just ordered a set of Nitto 275/40/18 to go with my 295/35/18's. I wasted money on the 265/35/18's I just bought. After crunching numbers I come up with this - provided I have the correct height and width numbers on the Factory Pirelli.

Pirelli
255/40/19 H 27.03 W 10.4

285/35/19 H 26.85 W 11.22

NT05
265/35/18 H 25.31 W 10.59 Diff from Pirelli 1.72 Shorter .19 Wider

275/40/18 H 26.57 W 10.79 .46 Shorter .39 Wider

295/35/18 H 26.18 W 11.61 .67 Shorter .39 Wider

Difference between the same brands
Stock Height front to rear .18 higher / width rear to front .82 wider
NT05 Height front to rear .39 higher / width rear to front .82 wider

So the big difference is the .21 in height between from and rear, the stagger is exact. I am going to run the 265/35 at Sebring then put the 275's on. At that time I will have an update for the beginners but I think this will be a good setup. If you are not going crazy out there and want a long lasting tire try the 555 below.

I also ran a set of Nitto 555's two days and was quite impressed with them given a 300 treadwear rating. This set is also very close to the factory height. You can get into a set of these plus rims for about $1300. It is not for the pros but if you want to hit the track and not burn up two grand worth of Pirellis they will get you by.

255/45/18 H 26.97 W 10.16 Diff from Perilli .06 shorter .24 narrower

285/40/18 H 26.97 W 11.42 .12 taller .2 wider

Scott - do you mean start at -2.2 degrees not 1.2? Factory camber is -0.95 so going to -1.2 won't really make much difference I don't think. You won't have any issues on the street at -2.2.

cloud9 said:
Scott - do you mean start at -2.2 degrees not 1.2? Factory camber is -0.95 so going to -1.2 won't really make much difference I don't think. You won't have any issues on the street at -2.2.

Yes it is minus. I was talking with a friend at Steeda and that is what he said to start at. I told you I know nothing on this subject. Maybe I did not understand and he was saying add another 1.2 more negative camber? I will take you word on it Gary but going to clarify that with him. Does the Boss have a different factory setting then the 5.0?

One thing you did say in another post was you saw some higher inside temp readings after a session because you were doing cool down laps, are you still at the 2.2 or do you have more now?

When you lower the car, negative camber increases so that's why the Boss has negative camber from the factory and the GT does not. The temp differences on the inside was maybe 4 degrees.....minor. The point was the tires had cooled significantly from race temps by the time we finished a cool down and made it back to the paddock. Like I mentioned, my street tires on the GT500 show no significant inside tire wear with -2.0 degrees and over 10k miles.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
While negative camber certainly can cause premature wear on the inner portion of the tire, it is usually the toe settings which really eat up the tires.

For those with adjustable camber plates, an alignment with toe at 0* or factory specs when the vehicle is in the 'street' setting on the plates will help reduce this street derived accelerated wear. For track settings, when you slide the plates to add negative camber, it will add toe-out which helps with turn-in.

If you are setting camber at -2.2* and just leaving it there, put it on an alignment rack <or> grab your tape measures and see what the toe settings are in the front. Getting it back to or near factory specs for toe will help with tire wear.

That's exactly why I have mine set -2.2 with zero toe and I don’t mess with it unless I can get it on an alignment rack. Been there done that wrecking street fronts with toe out of alignment.

cloud9 said:
That's exactly why I have mine set -2.2 with zero toe and I don’t mess with it unless I can get it on an alignment rack. Been there done that wrecking street fronts with toe out of alignment.

You read my mind, I was wondering where to go with that. I did talk to Steeda and the -1.2 is where they set the Mustangs for customers but for people that use the car as a DD and track once in a while. I will go with the -2.2.

The kit came today and it is more work then I feel like doing right now, I normally do my own wrenching. I asked the dealer but they were talking like $600-700 :eek: I talked to a local speed shop that someone recommended and he is saying $195 for the install but still need the alignment after. I think it is worth it for amount of work right now in the FL heat. Plus I would need to buy a good spring compressor.

Next thing you know I will be drilling holes in my limited production Boss 302 grille :mad:

2012YellowBoss said:
My plates are on the way. I think I'll start at -1.2 and see how that works for track and street.

I just ordered a set of Nitto 275/40/18 to go with my 295/35/18's. I wasted money on the 265/35/18's I just bought. After crunching numbers I come up with this - provided I have the correct height and width numbers on the Factory Pirelli.

Pirelli
255/40/19 H 27.03 W 10.4

285/35/19 H 26.85 W 11.22

So the big difference is the .21 in height between from and rear, the stagger is exact. I am going to run the 265/35 at Sebring then put the 275's on. At that time I will have an update for the beginners but I think this will be a good setup. If you are not going crazy out there and want a long lasting tire try the 555 below.

Hey Scott, unfortunately if you put a 275 on your stock front rim, even a ton of camber won't help much - the tire is too wide for that rim and the sidewall will roll over. I'm running 275 NT01s on my Boss, but I'm running them on 10" wide rims all around and with -1.5 camber in the front I still wear the shoulder pretty heavily (38 psi hot). You might find the car turns in better on a 255 front as that will have a firmer sidewall than the 265 or 275 on the stock rim. Your pooched for rotating front to back in that case, but you can at least change sides. The NT01 is asymmetrical but not directional so no problem switching sides with it. BTW, not the best tire I've ever used but I love the progressive release of the tire and it does have a pretty high level of grip, good bang for the buck.

Bruce

All good points, I am trying to do the best I can without spending too much. I run on a budget and I am way over that already.

The problem is finding rims, it is limited finding a good matched set for the Bremos. If I could I would stick with a 255 285 setup on 9's and 10's. Running the NT01's would be nice but for now I have to stick with NT05's for cost. I can find 9.5 all around but need 10's on the rear. I looked but could not find a matched set of 9.5 and 10 to fit the Brembo.

That said the 275/40 is just .2 wider then the 265/35 10.59 to 10.79. The NT01 is at 275/35 10.91 (too short) and 10.94 on the 275/40. So hopefully I will not have too much of a problem on the NT05.

I'm loving the stock setup. Sure the tires are expensive, but with the proper management at the track, they look like there going to last for many HPDE's.

4pipes said:
I'm loving the stock setup. Sure the tires are expensive, but with the proper management at the track, they look like there going to last for many HPDE's.
I don't have nearly the track experience that you have so I'd prefer to learn on something more affordable and save the good stuff for when I can take advantage of it.

Has anyone run the 255/40ZR-19 Pirelli Corsa competition performance, 285/35ZR-19 Pirelli
Corsa competition performance system at the track that comes stock on the LS?

How is the tread wear?

How do they handle in comparison to other similar tires?

I can't speak to the treadwear because I only drove an LS for one session at the track. The handling wasn't as good as the Nittos I run on my own car mainly due to the width. I'm running a 305/35/18 on the back and 285/35/18 up front. I assume treadwear will be similar to other R-compound tires and will depend on your driving style.

TMO Supporting Vendors