The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Tire wear thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Any experts out there willing to give a free analysis of my treadwear after several track sessions on these scrubs with no tire rotations as of yet - GYF1's. I'm wondering if I need to adjust camber or anything suspension related???

76C6C3A4-B058-46EB-8675-877DDB897E8F.jpeg

93CCD62C-07B1-4673-B9B4-48E5AC026DCD.jpeg

765EFDBA-8EA7-4FB1-B3E6-9FB3581C53CA.jpeg

0C9EABA4-0CBA-4C34-91B6-9FF6C4D005B9.jpeg

GA
I mean visually, it appears to be wearing really nicely. Insides should wear out first but truly, that's at best anyone can offer you over the net. The best way to tell is skipping the cold lap and coming straight into the paddock. Using a pyrometer like the one below:

You'll check inside, center, and outside; for perfect alignment and camber it should roughly be 10 degrees apart. Being able to add more camber while at the paddock requires an adjustable camber plate and a few other tools of course to make this happen without requiring another alignment. However, at least you'll have a start... got to start somewhere.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I mean visually, it appears to be wearing really nicely. Insides should wear out first but truly, that's at best anyone can offer you over the net. The best way to tell is skipping the cold lap and coming straight into the paddock. Using a pyrometer like the one below:

You'll check inside, center, and outside; for perfect alignment and camber it should roughly be 10 degrees apart. Being able to add more camber while at the paddock requires an adjustable camber plate and a few other tools of course to make this happen without requiring another alignment. However, at least you'll have a start... got to start somewhere.
Thanks for the informative response, really helpful. At least there appears to be no big set up problems. Fine tune with a temp probe and good to go - thanks again.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel