The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been paying a bit more attention to tire weight than in the past, and I can't help but notice the Sport Cup 2s are roughly 4 lbs lighter in the 350 size(s) than the R888. I know the R888 is an old design, but that is a significant difference. I have had good luck with the R888s in the past. I like it's versatility with the level of track performanceit provides, and obviously the price point. Does anyone have insight into what is making the significant weight difference? Also, the NT01 is essentially a sister tire to the R888, but I haven't found weights on that tire anywhere. Is it as heavy? Thanks in advance for the input and opinions.

Different manufacturer and newer technology built into the tire is my guess.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel